Thread: Savage 99 1948 eg extraction problem

Hunting Man

Savage 99 1948 eg extraction problem

Hello, new to your site and need some expert help. Just purchased a 1948 Savage 99 EG model in 250-3000 cal. The problem is the casings come back about 1/2" and hang up. Seems like the auto cut-off plate is too far to the right and hangs the casing up. I have ordered a new spring for the cut off but cannot locate a replacement for the cut-off part itself. Part # is 99-410 I believe. Any suggestions as to what may be the issue or where I might locate a replacement part. I have a 1953 EG in 300 sav and the auto cut-off plate free floats much more than the 250?? I'm no gun smith but there's a big difference in the way the two auto cut-off plates operate in the two guns. Local gun smith couldn't resolve it. Thanks for any help on this problem I'd appreciate it.

Re: Savage 99 1948 eg extraction problem

I'm not real sure how the auto cut off can move to the right? The receiver itself is milled out for it to fit into.

I can't believe a smith couldn't figure it out???? Not a really good smith if you ask me. It almost sounds like your spring is to tight rather than loose, not letting the cutoff return back inside the machined area when the bolt is drawn back into the receiver. How can a spring tighten up over the years though? First I've heard of that happening.
    Savage- "never say never".

Hunting Man

This one seems like the cut-off isn't free floating like it should. Spent time yesterday cleaning out the recess area. I'm just wondering if someone put a later cut off in instead of the earlier one?? I hate it when something doesn't work right. appreciate your input. This one is going to take some time I think to get to the bottom of the problem. Also, by putting a slight right hand pressure to the left side of the casing it will clear and eject ok. Wish I did have more gun smith experience now.

Savage- "never say never".