Thread: Model 25 issues

Model 25 issues

Hi folks,
    New member here and this is my first post. I own a very nice model 25 slide action rifle that had a horrible bore. I took it totally apart to have a smith install a liner so it would be restored to shooter status. Upon reassembly I find I am having a hard time getting the magazine tube retainer back in place. I really don’t want to bend it out of shape but it’s really giving me a hard time getting back into its slots. Grrrrr, haha! Any suggestions? Second issue is the threaded hole which holds the mag tube retaining screw was partially ruined when the bore was drilled and filled. I’m thinking a tiny bit of weld to fill the hole then drill and tap but I have no idea what pitch the retaining screw has. It’s too short to get an accurate measurement. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Basic Member
    The front rings are very hard to snap in and keep them round, I have done a few and with the last one I drove the shaft end of some drill bits through the ring to get it round enough to get the magazine tube back in - this required supporting the edges of the ring while it was on the barrel, none of this is easy. A friend recently said he got one to snap in with the magazine tube in place, you have to put one side in and then push on the edge of the other side - if I ever have to do another, I will try that. I don't know if one side is shorter than the other or if it doesn't matter which side goes in first.

The screw is a special #5-48 and has to have a head small enough to fully go into the extruded hole for it or it will keep the inner magazine tube from going in. There are places that sell them, it's the same screw as used for the Model's 29, 29-A and 29-B. #5 machine screws are not common, the more standard ones are #5-40 & #5-44, you will not find a #5-48 other than in a gun screw. Fastenal once listed a #5-48 in stainless but they said they were out and it was a special order with a huge minimum, if they even would do it again.

Sav 22,
    Thank you for the info. I might be able to salvage the original screw but if not it’s good to know one might be available. Regarding filling, drilling and tapping the hole, do you think the barrel might be able to withstand a drop of weld?