Thread: 112 Long / Short action

112 Long / Short action

Please forgive me if this has been covered, but I am new to the forum and tried several searches to no avail. I have an old 112 factory chambered in .22-250, from the era when they were building these SA rounds on LA platforms. I am interested in rebarreling to something in the neighborhood of .300 WM or RUM. Here are the two issues that I see. First, the bolt has an extended stop behind the head, so even though it is a long action, cycling the bolt stops just behind the short action round. I would assume the solution would be solved when swapping the bolt head to the magnum bolt face. Second, the base of the action is only cut out for the short action mag and follower. Once again, my assumption would be to cut out and either use a long action box and follower, or go with an aftermarket detachable setup, or replace the existing follower and set up as a single shot. I'm looking for any experience with this type of conversion. Thanks.

Basic Member

Re: 112 Long / Short action

The bolt stop is called the front baffle, and can be cut to the length you want or you could buy the right one for maybe $10.00. This part is separate from the bolt head.

If you want a repeater, it would be cheaper to start with a used long action in regular or magnum flavor. Maybe you could swap what you have with someone, or just buy a used rifle for a few bucks.

If you can live with a single shot you can use what you have.

My 338 Edge is built on a similar action, but mine started out as a 308. I'm using mine as a shingle shot. When you get your magnum bolthead just order a regular front baffle to go with it. Then you will be able to pull the bolt back far enough for plenty of clearance. Here's a couple pictures. Post up if you have any more questions.

[img width=600 height=356]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001620.jpg[/img]
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Thanks for the replys. That pretty much confirms my thoughts; leave the receiver alone. Thanks for pointing out that it's called the baffle, SSS sells them for a few bucks, but without a pic I never would have known. Is there any value / advantage to using one of the single shot adapters like SSS has? I see your pic looks like the original mag follower. @ Geargrinder, do you go by the same name on LRH? I recognize your pic. I've been lurking here and there for a while, just signed up under the name "Vulture" over there. Thanks again.

I made an Edge repeater once and really didn't like making the permanent mods to the action. I might decide to use this action as a .204 Ruger repeater. With this action I still can.

I've since put in a single shot follower. It worked fine without, but it looks better with it in. It probably aligns the round better, but I never had problems feeding.

Numrich, Midway, and Brownells also stock the boltheads and baffles. I try to steer clear of SSS for parts, or anything I can get somewhere else.

Yes, that's me. Here and LRH are the two places I spend the most time.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar