Thread: Why go from the model 10 to the 110?

Basic Member

Why go from the model 10 to the 110?

What happened at savage to make them kill off their traditional bolt rifle for the 110? My newer model 10 marked savage is actually a 110 style action. The ejection port is small and the rcvr isn't cut down on the side. I really love the look of the traditional savage action.

Is there any rhyme or reason for this? The model 10 and fcp mag fed rifles were the best value and most accurate savage out the box under $1000. I'm hoping to find another model 10 to do a second 6.5 rifle or even just a 308.

Banned
    It’s the same Action that has been. There have been minor changes through the years, but nothing has been killed off. From what you’re saying, sounds like you have a port style Action with Bottom Bolt Release(BBR), vs the Top Bolt Release(TBR). However, the TBR is still readily available. They just stopped using the 10/110 numerical to identify Long or Short Action; now simply called 110 SA & 110 LA.

Several are the same Action it’s been for the last 15+ years. For instance the 110 Tactical Short Action. It’s the same Action as the 10 Tactical from prior years. Just in a newer stock & such.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57006

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    It’s the same Action that has been. There have been minor changes through the years, but nothing has been killed off. From what you’re saying, sounds like you have a port style Action with Bottom Bolt Release(BBR), vs the Top Bolt Release(TBR). However, the TBR is still readily available. They just stopped using the 10/110 numerical to identify Long or Short Action; now simply called 110 SA & 110 LA.

Several are the same Action it’s been for the last 15+ years. For instance the 110 Tactical Short Action. It’s the same Action as the 10 Tactical from prior years. Just in a newer stock & such.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57006
    Ok thanks. Cause this is confusing. Like the 10 is short and the 110 is long. Already had that established. And some of the mags changed now as well it seems. I really prefer the 4/10rnd rock in mags, so I'll have to get that style so all mine swap... Some have single stack with an AK paddle style release. I'd have to look into choate and other mfg to see how that works and it the action is machined the same for compatibility.

Glad they still make that style tho! I'll look into that for the next one. This port eject 10 is not my style!

Basic Member
    Just know that you aren't the only one who finds their name changes confusing and irritating.

PS if you are looking for a tactical style and want to have more than one magazine, make sure the rifle is AICS compatible. Savage mags are rare (and expensive), even the new ones.

Basic Member
    They ARE!! And i luckily I have 2-3 4rnd and 1 10rnd tho. I bit the bullet and got spares, $42 a pop! But they work great.

I have the Ashbury precision in 308 that takes AICS style so I might buy a new "tactical 110" in 6.5, swap in that and put the new 110 closed port rcvr .308 into the gray stock and sell that. Then I keep the Ashbury chassis and go to 6.5 AND have the receiver I'm used to and enjoy. The 308 isn't qui the tack driver that the 6.5 is, and I already have 2 other 6.5s so this would standardize things for me.

Just trying to fix an oversight on the purchase I made! Thanks for the help, I'm VERY happy they still make em!

Banned
    Which one did you get?

Basic Member
    The Ashbury precision 308. It does moa but not really happy with that. And apparently I way overpaid and they are not worth anything now, so I'm trying to put the 308 into a normal Hunter stock and offload it. A hunter can work with moa just fine. I can't.

Banned
    Oh ok. You DO have a top bolt release. It’s just a port style Action. You should actually like it. The port Actions are stiffer than than the open style actions. It makes them better for Precision Target work

Too bad you aren’t near me in Pennsylvania. I would trade Actions with you in a heartbeat! I want one of those Port Style Actions, like them better. I would even tear them both down & swap all our components back & forth.

Here is my model 10 I started with a stripped down Action and built it to this.

Basic Member
    I'm actually in York Pa lol.

Yeah I just don't like this action. I thought Ashbury would be really accurate but it isn't, least not for me. Bass pro In Hburg has some new 110 tactical ones of the style I like, I'll prolly go get one of them since they are threaded. But if I can't sell this thing in a normal stock soon maybe I'll swap ya! Lol

Banned
    Sent you a PM.

Basic Member
    Something to keep in mind. It probably isn't the action that is not accurate but the barrel.

My 12BVSS in .308 was not the greatest. Sub-MOA and every now and then 1/2MOA. When I put a Shilen 6BR barrel on that action it became a sub 1/2MOA gun. Now I push myself to shoot (and reload) better to get down to the 2's or 3's.

But, if you like the open top, then don't let that stop you. Yes, the port action is probably stiffer, but, you probably won't see the difference. Same with the large shank barrel. To me the trigger is the more important part of the Savage action choices.

Banned
    Actually, I think your Action is a Large Shank anyway. Have to see the barrel nut to be certain, but I think they used the Large Shank port style Action instead of the Small Shank port style.

Charlie is correct. It’s likely something with the barrel. Or perhaps the muzzle attachment. Or maybe it’s just not liking the ammo you’re feeding it. Not sure, but doubtful it’s the Action. Still, if you end up getting something else, just make certain you have the correct Shank size if you are swapping parts around.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Actually, I think your Action is a Large Shank anyway. Have to see the barrel nut to be certain, but I think they used the Large Shank port style Action instead of the Small Shank port style.

Charlie is correct. It’s likely something with the barrel. Or perhaps the muzzle attachment. Or maybe it’s just not liking the ammo you’re feeding it. Not sure, but doubtful it’s the Action. Still, if you end up getting something else, just make certain you have the correct Shank size if you are swapping parts around.

I got another one here in 6.5 and she does 1/2 moa all day. I got tired of trying to make 168gr ELDM with varget and h4350 work. I also agree, it's prolly a crappy barrel. Weird thing is it's on the "precision" model, and my Tupperware one put the box shot half moa lol.

Basic Member

I much prefer the old style, in every way....

Banned
    HaveBlue, it’s not a matter of new vs old model Actions. The Port style Actions have been around for a long time. All of the Model 12 Target Actions are small port design Actions. Like the picture below.

While the Model 12 is a Large Shank as I believe yours is, I’m not absolutely positive as Savage also makes the Port Actions in Small Shank, like the 110 Trail Hunter below. Again, have to see the barrel nut on yours to be sure. You should definitely make sure yourself. The barrel nut for the Large Shank is shorter than the Small Shank. Your other 110 in 6.5cm in your picture there is a Small Shank I can see.

Team Savage

See this FAQ topic to ID whether your rifle has a large or small shank.

Basic Member
    Just a thought. Buy a new barrel for it. A Shilen or Criterion is less than $500 and easy to install. Northland Shooter Supply has quite a selection in stock. A swap takes an hour or two (most of that is cleaning and checking headspace). The bonus is you won't be 'tossing the dice' for a good barrel on another Savage.

But, I do understand if you don't like the action. Like Dave said, many in here would rather have yours than the std one.

Basic Member
    Yes and I'm not opposed to that. I just already have a box stock savage that always shoots lights out, and I have over a grand in this one that doesn't. And it's got the weird axis looking rcvr that I did t realize till after I got it.

One day I'll build up a savage when I have the time!

Basic Member
    Since I'm in here, might as well post it.....I sold over a grand at the gun show today, so I went and grabbed another 6.5 tactical savage that I spotted at Bass pro...$708 out the door! They are 110 tactical now, and run 10rnd aics/pmags mags from factory. I am happy to say the accuracy with my known good load is EXACTLY on par with my other 6.5. Half moa.

I cleaned zeroed, cleaned, etc as I shot (1rnd2rnds3rnds regimine) and got the right side group on shots 3-4-5. I had time so I threw it in the chassis and grabbed pics of it apart. The 308 ashbury is def a thicker recoil lug, and nuts are a bit different. I actually couldn't tighten the rail on because of the 20moa railed base hit it LOL. so I just held it there and it....worked in a pinch. Shit 2-rnds, came up 2moa, and bam Sub moa again! The 308 will be sold, might machine the stock for the bigger lug so it can be complete

I'm going to move forward with redoing the Ashbury as the 6.5 and see if we can get it consistent 1/2 moa like the other one. It's already showing promise. If it can't, I guess I'll bed it into a nice stock and have twins for long range trips