Thread: Erratic shots?

Basic Member

Erratic shots?

Been shooting our winter local league and am noticing a pattern I am not sure how to correct. At all distances I seemed to have developed a flaw to were when I am missing they are generally to the left and low. This is all being shot from a bench using a Harris bipod and a rabbit ear rear bag. Very seldom am I missing right. Other times I can place 5 shots inside a 1" dot at 100yds.

Basic Member
    How are you setting up? 'Loading' the bipod? Loose grip? Hold bag with left hand? etc.

I know when I shoot low and left it is because I am lifting my head at the shot. Follow through is critical.

Basic Member
    Seems I am not finding a consistent setup as my eyebox and cheek position keeps moving. I have been playing around with the cheek riser but even that seems to change from week to week, even day to day. Been trying to pay attention to what my position is when I'm dead on and when I am dropping the shot low and left. Right now I can't seem to put a finger on it. Been paying particular attention to grip pressure as I at times fight a "death grip". Also can't seem to find a consistent LOP.

One thing that will cause that is too much stock pressure on the rear bag. As the shot breaks,
    the rear stock comes up and throwing the shot low......Need more more info on what your using
    for a rear bag and what it's filled with. If it's too soft, your probably anticipating the shot and
    increasing your squeeze, which also raises the butt breaking the shot.....Now shots going left is
    the result of which way your squeezing the bag.....I take it your using a hard hold ??
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    One thing I found important to me (and I'm still not that good) is getting a good setup, especially the first time. Once I align everything and sit down behind the gun I close my eyes. Then settle into the gun, getting shoulder in position, cheek weld comfortable, etc. Then open my eyes to see where the scope is. Adjust cheekpiece to center eye on scope. Note if I need to move scope forward or back and/or buttstock longer or shorter.

Then I get up and repeat. Once settled then dry fire to see if there is any movement. That also helps me with the follow through. That also helped me realize I was 'pushing' on the rear bag with my cheek pressure.

If you're like me there is more than one thing I have to work on so I try to isolate each and fix as I go.

CFJunkie had some good tips in one of his threads (I think the .223 thread) when he was trying to help me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    ....Need more more info on what your using
    for a rear bag and what it's filled with. ....I take it your using a hard hold ??
    The bag is a green Caldwell rabbit ear, factory filled. Can you expand on definition of "hard hold".

Loading a Harris bipod is of critical importance. I have found my shooting much more stable with bipods that allow for a forward angle on the legs similar to Atlas or S7s. Much less important for loading. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73 Bergers 1.jpg   212 1.jpg   Atlas.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Shooting Low and typically left for Right-Hand shooter in Pistol shooting, is usually due to Anticipation. And I’ve seen this also when people are shooting rifles standing, but I can’t really say from any type of rest. I’ve found most of the flip-back bipods have too much play for my taste. I went ahead & made my own target style bipod.

Basic Member
    Well folks, having posted this topic on a couple different forums with some fine competitive shooters and one kind soul that has sort of taken me under his wing I have received some great pointers and critiques. Those low left shots have basically disappeared only now my shot dispersion has gone from mostly horizontal in more into the vertical. Still need to replace my rear bag but I only have 3 more weeks to shoot this league so that will be something to do after we are finished and give me something new to work on.

To Fuj' would still like to understand your expression of "hard hold".

Basic Member
    To me, a hard hold has two forms. First, the rifle is held firmly against the shoulder and a firm cheek weld. Second, using a bipod and pressing the rifle forward against the bipod legs. With Harris type bipods it means flexing the legs forward enough so the recoil is not able to move the feet.

Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post

To Fuj' would still like to understand your expression of "hard hold".
    Hard hold is, stock pulled into shoulder with a full grip of the hand and remains
    there as the shot breaks. Also having a good cheek weld with opposite hand on
    the forend. Like a sling shooter without the sling......I was trying to find a pic
    you might have posted of your set up but could not. I would like to see how far
    out the muzzle is compared to where the bipod is attached to the forend. Short
    coupled stocks and long tubes will have more vertical whip.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    To me, a hard hold has two forms. First, the rifle is held firmly against the shoulder and a firm cheek weld. Second, using a bipod and pressing the rifle forward against the bipod legs. With Harris type bipods it means flexing the legs forward enough so the recoil is not able to move the feet.
    One of the guys that have been helping was suggesting I was holding too tightly, straining my hold and grip. Which I have lightened up and has helped. Preloading the bipod, I have seen it suggested a couple different ways, one being against a forward obstruction the other dealing with how the stock is brought down into the shoulder. I have been using the second method though it seems to work better from the prone position rather than the seated bench position.

I was sort of under the impression that this was describing the reaction between the grip and hold on the rear bag and the pressure being applied to the bag and stock.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0931.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	10430

On this picture of the Boyd's stock you can see two posts on the fore-end. Until this thread I had been using the rear most one to mount the bipod. Since this thread I have moved out to the front one and boy what a difference it has made.

Also a couple weeks ago while shooting my league targets one of our group that I do not see very often happened to be there and he was watching me and pointed out a couple of flaws. One being that I was not staying down on the rifle and following through. Second was I am wrapping myself more around the rifle than getting behind it. So both of those things are now being worked on to correct. Oh and this gentleman is currently just 2 points out of top place in our league of 22 members.

Basic Member
    I have made both mistakes, too hard a grip/hold and lack of follow through. Got rid of the hold issue by changing my setup on the rest and bags. Follow through can still be an issue. Last few times out I was successful on that side but I lift my head at the most inopportune times. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Hard hold is, stock pulled into shoulder with a full grip of the hand and remains
    there as the shot breaks. Also having a good cheek weld with opposite hand on
    the forend. .......
    Sorry was responding with the picture post at the same time you posted. The grip I use has me keeping on hand on the rear bag to hold adjustment. Which may be wrong. As required by league rules all manipulation of the rifle, elevation and windage, must be controlled by the bag. so the free hand is not on the stock.