Thread: A few questions about a frame

Basic Member

A few questions about a frame

I have an opportunity to purchase a Contender with a serial number of 305,XXX. The seller said it is a Gen 1, has the cat on the side. Is in fact a Gen 1 and is the frame an easy open frame configuration.

Basic Member
    Yes

Gen 1 can be non-EZ but with that serial number, it's EZ-open.
    The distinction between EZ and non-EZ that's very easy to see in pics is the small pin in the frame just above the trigger guard. If that pin is at the front of the trigger guard (and not visible with a forend in place) it's a non-EZ.
    Curious what you're paying...the market seems to be all over the place right now. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J A XSP View Post
    Gen 1 can be non-EZ but with that serial number, it's EZ-open.
    The distinction between EZ and non-EZ that's very easy to see in pics is the small pin in the frame just above the trigger guard. If that pin is at the front of the trigger guard (and not visible with a forend in place) it's a non-EZ.
    Curious what you're paying...the market seems to be all over the place right now. :)

He is asking five Benjamins with the rubber grips and a rimfire barrel. Seems like a fair price as from the pictures it looks to be in very good condition. I will probably meet with him tomorrow.

Yep...that's a decent price for sure. Any frame under $350 and any barrel under $150 is definitely in a good range! Especially FTF with now FFL fees to pay!

Just remember that’s the first $500.00. When you catch the addiction, that figure is just a drop in the bucket. Nice start, that’s a fair price.

Very decent price. I’d probably jump on it.

Basic Member
    Price seems fair, as long as the pistol locks up tight and looks good. SN's over 300k are usually good frames, definitely EZ open.

Basic Member
    Yes, good price. In our area, it's getting hard to find a frame for less than $400, now. Prices in just the last couple years have been going a little nuts. $500 with a barrel is what I used to pay, back just 5 or 6 years.

Basic Member
    Well she's home.
    Rear sight has a bit of surface rust but overall it is as he advertised it. Grips and forend are in good condition and the barrel is a bull barrel. This will be my third Contender. My first was an early model with a 13,XXX Serial Number that I sold around 1990 to by an XP100. Only paid $100 for it with a 1.5 TC scope. LOL
    Where can I get a new screw that holds the front stock on? This one has burrs from someone using the wrong size screwdriver. The trigger breaks at about 35oz's. I also have a thin octogon barrel in .22 I bought a few months ago when I began my quest to get another Contender after trading a 30 Herret for it.
    Is there even a source for new barrels or should I just be looking for used ones?

The forend screws are common 10-32 and should be available at your local hardware store. You probably won't find a polished blue one though. Bullberry and MGM as well as EABCO are still making barrels and original factory barrels are around also. I prefer to buy used barrels in person so I can give them a close inspection.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!