Well, since a .270x.225 IMP will be headed this way before long, I wanted to see what load data may already be out there. Back in 1991, G.Sitton tested out the round in a 14" SSK barrel for a Handloader article, so I ordered a copy of the magazine. Combined with what I had already extrapolated, this gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Given equal barrel lengths and just for sake of comparison, the .270 version should do with a 130 what a 6.5 JDJ does with a 120 grain bullet, so they are basically peas in a pod.

The added potential velocity from the 21" Van Horn barrel should make quite a few bullets suitable for my needs, including some that are borderline for the 6.8 SPC. I currently have the 95 grain Barnes TTSX and 120 grain Hornady SST to start with once I fireform brass, but at some point I intend to give the 130 grain Ballistic Tip a go as well. In fact, if I can get suitable velocity with it, I have a feeling the 130 grain Nosler could easily become my favorite as its terminal performance at moderate speeds -- especially on something as stout as a hog -- is impressive and has been proven over and again.

Am getting anxious to try this one out...