Thread: .270 JDJ load data from Handloader Magazine article

Team Savage

.270 JDJ load data from Handloader Magazine article

Well, since a .270x.225 IMP will be headed this way before long, I wanted to see what load data may already be out there. Back in 1991, G.Sitton tested out the round in a 14" SSK barrel for a Handloader article, so I ordered a copy of the magazine. Combined with what I had already extrapolated, this gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Given equal barrel lengths and just for sake of comparison, the .270 version should do with a 130 what a 6.5 JDJ does with a 120 grain bullet, so they are basically peas in a pod.

The added potential velocity from the 21" Van Horn barrel should make quite a few bullets suitable for my needs, including some that are borderline for the 6.8 SPC. I currently have the 95 grain Barnes TTSX and 120 grain Hornady SST to start with once I fireform brass, but at some point I intend to give the 130 grain Ballistic Tip a go as well. In fact, if I can get suitable velocity with it, I have a feeling the 130 grain Nosler could easily become my favorite as its terminal performance at moderate speeds -- especially on something as stout as a hog -- is impressive and has been proven over and again.

Am getting anxious to try this one out...

Team Savage
    I'll bet you already have some expanded and ready to load, I would have some loaded real long just waiting for final seating. I hate waiting

Team Savage
    I would but don't have the dies yet and don't have any other .277 expander is the loading room anymore.

Basic Member
    I had a 12.5" barrel. It was my first contender. Took about 6 or 7 dozen head of game with it over the years. It was great with all the Nosler 130gr bullets at the time in the mid 80's. Most kills fell to the ballistic tips.