Thread: Looking for tomato stakes

Basic Member

Looking for tomato stakes

Ok, snarky thread title aside, I want to take a stab at DIY'ing my own action truing tools, and currently I dont have the ability to cut threads. I figure I can take a shortcut and use a shot out barrel as a starting point and take a shortcut.

Anyone have a damaged or shot out large shank barrel (or two) they'd be willing to part with? Caliber and condition are unimportant as long as the threads are good.

Many thanks!

Banned
    There are no short cuts with truing the Action. If you don’t have a proper lathe & tools, it can’t be done.

That said, truing isn’t the end all, be all. I can’t tell you how many shooters I’ve seen go through the motions sending their rifles or Actions to a Gunsmiff, pay the cost, wait the months it took, only to have their rifles shoot identical groups it did before being Trued. If you already have an accurate rifle, it’s components are likely pretty darn true! And it’s unlikely it would see much, if any improvement. I don’t worry about having rifles trued because I’m not looking to shoot <1/4” groups! Rather, my eyesight won’t. But I think if more people were honest with themselves, let alone everyone online, they’d find their own skill level isn’t tiny fractions of an inch either.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    Ok, snarky thread title aside, I want to take a stab at DIY'ing my own action truing tools, and currently I dont have the ability to cut threads. I figure I can take a shortcut and use a shot out barrel as a starting point and take a shortcut.

Anyone have a damaged or shot out large shank barrel (or two) they'd be willing to part with? Caliber and condition are unimportant as long as the threads are good.

Many thanks!
    There are many ways to skin a cat. Would you mind sharing with the group here what you have in mind?

Basic Member
    I can imagine several ways to do this. When I have looked at such things in the past the cost of tooling and jigs was more than the cost of a small lathe.

The key is a good reference line setup and being able to accurately move the cutting tools.

PS Dave makes a good point about truing a Savage action. Unless something is really out of whack you probably won't see a difference.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    There are no short cuts with truing the Action. If you don’t have a proper lathe & tools, it can’t be done...
    Oh that sounds like a challenge for a former jeweler and watchmaker! Doing high precision work by hand is one of my prouder skills. I sold my big lathe and little mill before i got married but that's not the only way to do things.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    There are many ways to skin a cat. Would you mind sharing with the group here what you have in mind?
    In a nutshell I'm just planning to use a section of barrel as the jig/guide for lapping the bolt face and holding a guide rod in alignment with the bore. As long as the threads are concentric to the centreline of the barrel, I can do the rest. I still have access to a lathe but looking for shortcuts and trying not to cut threads.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Unless something is really out of whack you probably won't see a difference.
    Understood. At least some of this is the "hobby factor ".

Banned
    Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about it. My advice: Lap the bolt head & lugs together with polishing compound, make certain the Action Tenon facing is concentric with a smooth surface for the barrel nut and call it a day. The Floating bolt head will take care of the rest.

Just a note: Using the threads of one barrel to try to set everything up, then installing a different barrel defeats the purpose altogether. The two barrel’s threading will have minor differences which negate the effects you’re trying to accomplish. Doesn’t matter how many watches you made!

Oh.. before you think I’m just trying to poo-poo your idea, take a look at my content. I’m probably the leading proponent & voice here for DIY. Just look at a few of the custom parts I’ve made from scratch. (And mostly with Titanium) No, I’m just lending voice of reason. Others have spent considerable effort trying to come with ways of doing what you are suggesting. But there really is no other way. And once again, it’s usually not even worth it on a Savage.

Basic Member
    I still want to see what you come up with.

To me the biggest part of a receiver truing job is making sure the receiver centerline, lug contact area, receiver face and threads are concentric/perpendicular/flat. Then lap the bolt lugs. The floating bolt head means you need to apply pressure to the bolt head 'flat' across the bolt face when lapping. I'd assume that is the purpose of the barrel stub.

There are a couple folks willing to part with such a thing, they are listed in the Classified section where WTB/WTS threads belong. ��
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    If I didn't know any better, I'd think you guys are working on Remingtons....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If I didn't know any better, I'd think you guys are working on Remingtons....
    LOL, I was pretty sure that would be your response.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    There are a couple folks willing to part with such a thing, they are listed in the Classified section where WTB/WTS threads belong. ��
    True, however, members can't post WTB/WTS threads unless they're Team Savage members. Thread locked.