Thread: Axis magazine issue

Axis magazine issue

As mentioned, I got a used Axis II XP in .308 a few years ago to play with. It shoots OK, am still working up loads for it. I've restocked it with a Boyd's Pro-varmint. The magazine has always been difficult to remove. It's more so now in the new stock.
    The mag is held in place with a block around the front guard screw. Original was plastic, was replaced with metal in the new stock. I'm wondering if I trimmed the edge of the block a little would it make the mag easier to remove? Anyone have experience with this issue?

-Thanks, West out
    Sometimes ya just gotta take a deeper breath.....

Basic Member
    Yep. Same rifle but .223, same stock. Mag in mine used to drop out after firing. I used some JBWeld and built up the 'lip' on the back of the magazine so it would 'grip' the 'ledge' better. Sounds like yours needs to be opened up a little. Just figure out which part is interfering.

Aye Charlie, Thanks for the comment. I see what you mean. I'll play with it some more. What color Pro-varmint did you put it in? Mine's a red-grey -blue laminate. I'm gonna do some more mods to it. I don't like the 'shelf' behind the tang, so will round that off, and will lengthen the vertical grip.

Mine is a heavy bbl 308, like I said, shoots OK. Chamber seems tight. MId-range loads show some pressure signs, so I figure max is about 2 grains under most book max loads. Have a Rem 22-250 with same issue. Must have been cut with an old reamer is all I can think. Don't have accuracy below MOA yet. But loading and shooting times are limited these days.

Over all, l like the gun, wish the action port was bigger. Guess I'm spoiled with the 112 I have.

-West out

Basic Member
    My .223 was a heavy barrel as well. My stock is the brown/lt brown. I bedded it and put in pillars. Now days it has the .308 barrel from my model 12 BVSS (stainless, fluted, 26"). I shoot mostly cast bullets in it. The model 12 is now a 6BR (shilen barrel).

An easy mod is to get a lighter spring for the trigger. Or contact Dave and ask him to 'fix' your trigger. He will make it much better.

Look up CFJunkies threads on .308 load development. Lots of information there. Also the fact that your barrel might like a certain weight of bullet. Mine is good with 155gn match bullets but also shoots the 175gn SMK's fairly well. I did load a little below max.

Yea, I know. My 112 BVSS 30-06 is arguably my most accurate rifle, save for a 223 AI I had built in 2010. It's shot a couple elk using 190 Hornady interlocks but seems to really shine with Sierra 125 SP's. So, yea, bbls like particular bullets. It was my first escapade into the heavy barrel rifle game. Now they're all heavy, save for a couple. Main thing I like is the recoil attenuation, and the looks...... I can do 30-40 rounds of 30-06 or 300 WM and not be disabled afterwards.

Interesting you put in pillars. I had the gunsmith school bed my Boyd stock and they were afraid to put in pillars due to the small wood around the forward guard screw hole. So much for their instructor's faith..... Bummed me out, but we'll see how it lasts. It shoots OK so far.

I'm working on a Richard's stock for my 260AI. Had to work on the inletting some, wasn't perfect from Richard's, and am making pillars. When that's finished, I may add pillars to this Axis stock. But if it keeps shooting OK, I won't worry about it.

I've had good luck with Speer TNT bullets, so I want to shoot them in 30 cal also. They do nicely in .224 and .264, so am working on 30's as well. I'm probably not going hunting any more, so I guess paper is my main game, save for pd's.

When did you get your M12 BVSS? My 30-06 if from about 1996, before Accu-triggers. It's bone stock, except for some stock work to lengthen the grip and improve the grip. I'd send a pic, but can't for awhile.

Anyway, take care, -West out

Basic Member
    Sounds like a good plan.

My BVSS is only 6 years old. It came with pillars so I only did a skim bed on it. The Varmint Accutrigger is ok. I wish it had the target version. My favorite bullets for the .308 are 155 Berger Hybrid, 155 Hornady ELD match and 175 Sierra MK.