Thread: Strange savage barrel

Basic Member

Strange savage barrel

Hello,
    I’m new to site but a thread reader. Savage 110, 30/06, serial F250k, so I assume mid 90s gun. Barrel appears heavy, tapered to a factory “shock suppressor” non removable 20 in. I have stalked this site and found the factory brake like this does exist. Have a pic will figure how to post it. It’s my friends in my possession and I’m thinking of buying for a truck gun or backup buddy gun. I’m betting it would be a tack driver but with shorter barrel and this crazy looking brake it would be more of a truck cannon. Anyone ever see this barrel. He said shoot it see if I like.

Banned
    Welcome.

Yes, this rifle was made in 1993 to be be precise. Sorry, my knowledge base is largely technical. I can’t tell anything model specific about it. I’m not familiar with any specialty 110’s with a 20” barrel & Brake from the 90’s. But there are several here with intimate knowledge of exact models through the past decades.

Basic Member
    It is definitely a heavy tapered barrel after comparing it to several other sporters I have.

Basic Member
    I took the scope off to check the base mounts. Rather inexpensive Simmons 3x9 hunter. Weaver bases and mounts. The rear flat back torqued to specs. The front was janky. One screw only and the mount over the bolt chamber not tight. Figured what the heck. Torqued put the scope back on. After all I wanted to check the blast. My friend inherited a substantial amount of hunting guns and high end collectables when his father passed. This gem was probably overlooked for its utilitarian look which I find rather handsome. Only shooting for groups at 75 yards off the tailgate and with a bench bag I got 3 shots touching. Didn’t measure but less than .5 cluster for sure. So with crappy mounts and budget scope to say I was pleased was an understatement. With quality mounts and scope I suspect this is going to rock. However with ear plugs and muffs the blast was pretty freaking incredible recoil was snappy but not stout at all. This is a relatively heavy gun. Of course the blast would have been lessened not shooting of the tailgate because it bounced back at me. Thunder. Shock. But I like it and made me smile. I ordered some electronic muffs I needed anyway to play with this rifle. If I hunt with it muffs would be a must. Could be a open terrain stand gun. Definitely not a truck gun. May keep for that or to shoot for fun. I hate to turn loose of a gun with I’m betting has some real accuracy potential. This was with 150 grain standard core locks.

Basic Member
    I’m thinking after researching the same gun I see asking prices of 400 to 600 for the same gun. It is in good condition. I haven’t seen anything with this heavy tapered drilled factory brake though. I want to be fair to my friend is 450 to 500 a good offer?

Basic Member
    Also marked in the very top of the barrel in the center is noted SP-8. Where the barrel meets the barrel nut.

There were several different barrel contours used with factory adjustable brakes in the mid 90s that I've had. The sporter barrels flared at the end up to the brake size. The medium heavy barrels Ive got were also straight fluted and tapered down to the same size as the adjustable brake. The magnum contours I've seen were a lttle heavier and longer but also tapered to the size of the adjustable brake.
    With no pics I am gonna go out on a limb here and assume youre takling about the Savage adjustable brakes. The features of the rifles were designated by the letter codes after the model number and the code for the adjustable brakes were AK.
    Does it have texture between the barrel where the brake starts and the vent holes?
    If so it should twist to turn it off or on. They sometimes locked up if not properly cleaned and lubed. If you have an adjustable brake and it's frozen it can be freed up with penetrant and time and working it back and forth with a rag.. If its really frozen then afer penetrant and a couple of days wrap it with a leather belt as a cushion and grab it with a pair of pliers and rock it back and forth a little at a time till it frees up.
    Hope some of this helps
    BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    This is a fixed brake. I cam’t figure out how to post pics I just joined so I believe I have to be vetted first. I have done quite a bit of research and have found only a couple of threads and the same reply follows is it stuck, etc. this is not the case.

If you google savage “ shock suppressor” barrel a factory print will appear in images and give a brief description of this option. It will show a barrel that is a factory barrel with factory drilled holes kinda like a ton and Jerry looking piece of Swiss cheese. The holes however are uniform and professional. The other makings on the barrel appear to be a stamped “F” and a stamped “v” not together like a v here and f a little bit away meaning not FV consecutively. Using these letters and a little more research I am leaning to this

savage 110 caliber 30-06. 1993 production. Varmit barell with factory drilled “shock suppressor”. The barrel is heavy and has a gradual but definite taper to the muzzle as described. 20 in.

I’m hoping to be able to post pics soon for the other guys that find this mystery barrel with my same questions. I don’t know what crazy man would have savage do a barrel like this in varmit 3006. But I am holding one. He have ordered some good scope mounts and have several scope options to choose from. Fixed power 6x leupold 33mm, leupold 3x9 x 40, leupood 3.5x10x50 mm. Bushy 4500 2.5x 10 x 40,vortex HP diamondback 4x16x 44. I know it’s going to be accurate but trying to find a purpose for it. I’m a hunter and bit of collector of interesting things. I like to shoot 3 to 4 times a month recreational. What would y’all do. As I said it’s blasty. I will post pics of the rig and some groupings at 100 when I get it done but would like some opinions of what y’all would do with it.

Basic Member
    The vortex has the side adjustable parallex to infinity a little heavy reticle on the thick side compared to others. Hunt, casual shooter or a little of both. seems like all are options.

Basic Member
    If someone can please google savage shock suppressor a factory print of this option will show up on eBay for sale. It’s on a savage 116. Can some one please do this that’s allowed to post pics so ppl and the next guy that finds one of these can have some answers.

Ive seen the brake you describe on other rifles but the only factory brakes Ive owned are the adjustable ones. I usually shoot them in the open position and gladly accept the blast as a tradeoff in leiu of the recoil. It seems to me when it comes to brakes folks either love em or hate em. I'm in the love em camp.and can easily send 80 rounds of -06 downrange in a session with no ill recoil effects. Maybe someone will come along and post the pics you requested before too long.
    Good Luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply. So I got some new stock old school world class all steel gloss standard height tasco mounts. Put on today. Very solid. Chose the Bushnell 2.5 x 10 x 40 4500 elite with DOA reticle and mounted, the Japanese one. Learned the savage long action is truly a long action in need of a long scope. Wanted to go old school not picatinny. About to laser bore site. It shot so good with the janky scope mounts , Simmons scope and 150 grain core locks. I figure this be good compromise with the BDC being “set” for 150 grain boolits. Hope to get to the range this weekend. It’s looking real nice and rock solid. Please somebody lemme post some pics!

Team Savage
    howdy

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Tmullets View Post
    Please somebody lemme post some pics!
    There are a two ways to do this, become a Team Savage member so you can direct upload to the site or use a pic hosting service like imgBB.