Thread: Strange savage barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Strange savage barrel

Hello,
    I’m new to site but a thread reader. Savage 110, 30/06, serial F250k, so I assume mid 90s gun. Barrel appears heavy, tapered to a factory “shock suppressor” non removable 20 in. I have stalked this site and found the factory brake like this does exist. Have a pic will figure how to post it. It’s my friends in my possession and I’m thinking of buying for a truck gun or backup buddy gun. I’m betting it would be a tack driver but with shorter barrel and this crazy looking brake it would be more of a truck cannon. Anyone ever see this barrel. He said shoot it see if I like.

Banned
    Welcome.

Yes, this rifle was made in 1993 to be be precise. Sorry, my knowledge base is largely technical. I can’t tell anything model specific about it. I’m not familiar with any specialty 110’s with a 20” barrel & Brake from the 90’s. But there are several here with intimate knowledge of exact models through the past decades.

Basic Member
    It is definitely a heavy tapered barrel after comparing it to several other sporters I have.

Basic Member
    I took the scope off to check the base mounts. Rather inexpensive Simmons 3x9 hunter. Weaver bases and mounts. The rear flat back torqued to specs. The front was janky. One screw only and the mount over the bolt chamber not tight. Figured what the heck. Torqued put the scope back on. After all I wanted to check the blast. My friend inherited a substantial amount of hunting guns and high end collectables when his father passed. This gem was probably overlooked for its utilitarian look which I find rather handsome. Only shooting for groups at 75 yards off the tailgate and with a bench bag I got 3 shots touching. Didn’t measure but less than .5 cluster for sure. So with crappy mounts and budget scope to say I was pleased was an understatement. With quality mounts and scope I suspect this is going to rock. However with ear plugs and muffs the blast was pretty freaking incredible recoil was snappy but not stout at all. This is a relatively heavy gun. Of course the blast would have been lessened not shooting of the tailgate because it bounced back at me. Thunder. Shock. But I like it and made me smile. I ordered some electronic muffs I needed anyway to play with this rifle. If I hunt with it muffs would be a must. Could be a open terrain stand gun. Definitely not a truck gun. May keep for that or to shoot for fun. I hate to turn loose of a gun with I’m betting has some real accuracy potential. This was with 150 grain standard core locks.

Basic Member
    I’m thinking after researching the same gun I see asking prices of 400 to 600 for the same gun. It is in good condition. I haven’t seen anything with this heavy tapered drilled factory brake though. I want to be fair to my friend is 450 to 500 a good offer?

Basic Member
    Also marked in the very top of the barrel in the center is noted SP-8. Where the barrel meets the barrel nut.