Thread: Accu stock in lbs

Basic Member

Accu stock in lbs

Hello
    I was curious as to the starting point if you will, on the torque one would set the front and back action screws ?
    I only have one accustock, and I currently have the front at 14 in lbs and the back at 10 in lbs.
    The above numbers are what I have most of my non accu stocks set at.
    Gun shoots decent, just curious
    Thanks in advance
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Banned
    You will get all kinds of different views on this. I’m guessing you have a wood stock? Well, if it were me, I’d do Front 35in.lbs., Rear 30in.lbs. If you are one who like to play with Action screw torque, set the front at 30-35in.lbs. and start the rear at 10in.lbs. Then shoot it and keep tightening the rear until you find the best torque/accuracy ratio. I don’t play with screw torque plus, I use an Aluminum Chassis. So my front/rear are 65/60.

EDIT:
    didn’t notice it was Accustock at first. Correct answer in Response #4

Basic Member
    Thank you
    Interesting numbers,
    Higher than I expected, but that's why I asked.
    Yes, most of my 110s are wood, I do have 2 non accustock synthetic B&C in my 110s that I use the 14 front and 10 rear.
    I have a 270 with a laminate factory that i could never get more than 2" groups with.
    Had it for 30 years, shot antelope and Mule Deer with it, tried many many powders, bullets ect ect. I guess I'm going to torque the front/rear down as you suggested and see what happens.
    Thank you
    Anyone else ?
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Banned
    Im sorry, didn’t notice it was an Accustock at first. Try this. https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...-The-AccuStock

Basic Member
    If your .270 is anything like my M70 Super Grade, it has a pencil barrel suited for carrying when hunting so it is very susceptible to barrel heating.

My first two shots from a cold barrel are touching at 100 yards, but every shot thereafter is out 1/4 inch further at 2 o'clock.
    Shooting groups to measure is not in the cards unless I want to wait for 20 minutes or more to let the barrel cool between each successive shot, and I admit I am too impatient to do that.

I just accept that I will never get to shoot more than two shots at anything when hunting anyway, so I am happy that it hits where I aim with the first two shots out of a cold barrel.

Basic Member
    The Accu-Stock recommendation is a good one.
    Works for me.

The cheaper Savage plastic stocks without the aluminum stiffening are much more sensitive to torque settings.
    I have documented the difference in accuracy with a non-stiffened stock at 35 in.-lbs. and 45 in.-lbs.
    One of my .308s prefers 35 in.-lbs. and shoots about 26% more accurately at the lighter torque setting.

Banned
    Yes, thank you CFJunkie. That’s what I was thinking before. Plain, Polymer/wood stocks are the 30-35. Accustock, follow the link from the home page & won’t go wrong. Full Chassis…. 50-65in.lbs.

If you torque the polymer stocks without installing pillars, it is often useless as the plastic flows and the torque changes..
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.