Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 110 ultralite 6.5 feeding issues done with savage

Savage 110 ultralite 6.5 feeding issues done with savage

I just got a new savage 110 ultralite in 6.5 creedmoor. Just tried to feed a few rounds through it to make sure it is ok. First round feeds second and almost always third round jams up. When you release the bolt pressure the round falls down and then will feed. I have another 6.5 savage so I swapped the magazine and it helped but 1 in ever 10 rounds or so still jams. I called savage and was told you can send it but I have to pay shipping to them! A brand new $1200 dollar plus rifle doesn’t function right and I have to pay to sent it back. Wonder if others have had this issue with the gun and savage? I really don’t think you should have to play gunsmith on a new gun. I am done with savage guns from now on! Also forgot to say if you just chuck a round in it will feed?

Banned
    Could be that it’s a 6.5cm, and possibly needs bevel in the Ejector or could be the Bolt. Those Spiral Fluted Bolt sleeves have been exhibiting problems with hanging up on chambering.

Basic Member
    That's a typical problem with Creedmoors. It's because there is only .008" taper in the case, and to top that off, the shoulder diameter is slightly bigger than the width of the raceways. That is a lot of reason for poor ejection.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifle20 View Post
    I just got a new savage 110 ultralite in 6.5 creedmoor. Just tried to feed a few rounds through it to make sure it is ok. First round feeds second and almost always third round jams up. When you release the bolt pressure the round falls down and then will feed. I have another 6.5 savage so I swapped the magazine and it helped but 1 in ever 10 rounds or so still jams. I called savage and was told you can send it but I have to pay shipping to them! A brand new $1200 dollar plus rifle doesn’t function right and I have to pay to sent it back. Wonder if others have had this issue with the gun and savage? I really don’t think you should have to play gunsmith on a new gun. I am done with savage guns from now on! Also forgot to say if you just chuck a round in it will feed?
    Most 6.5 creedmoor chambered rifle's will have to have the magazines adjusted to feed reliably, even the expensive rifles.
    They make AI/AICS pattern magazine adjustment tools for that reason.
    Most reasonable shooters would adjust the magazine(s) to feed reliably and go on with their day, not complain on a Savage shooters forum in their first post about a known factory savage magazine issue they obviously didn't read up on before buying the rifle.

SJC

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoots100 View Post
    Most 6.5 creedmoor chambered rifle's will have to have the magazines adjusted to feed reliably, even the expensive rifles.
    They make AI/AICS pattern magazine adjustment tools for that reason.
    Most reasonable shooters would adjust the magazine(s) to feed reliably and go on with their day, not complain on a Savage shooters forum in their first post about a known factory savage magazine issue they obviously didn't read up on before buying the rifle.

SJC
    With a warm reception like that there's a fairly good chance he wont be making anymore posts either.....

What expensive 6.5 guns are you having feeding issues with?? Because even with the polymer aics mags it feeds pretty good for me..... if its such a "known factory savage magazine issue" maybe instead of him needing to read up on it--- Maybe Savage could address it?

Yes- it can be addressed and maybe the way it was worded wasn't the best... but when you are excited about getting a new gun and you have problems it can be frustrating.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    ...Yes- it can be addressed and maybe the way it was worded wasn't the best... but when you are excited about getting a new gun and you have problems it can be frustrating.
    I agree with this. If I spent over $1000 on a rifle I'd expect it to work properly. I should not have to go around to forums to find out the mfg doesn't make a product that works. I can kinda understand if it is the 'budget' model, after all you're sacrificing quality for cost. But, when it is part of a 'premium' line you expect more.

And, yes, I know other mfgs are guilty as well. Does not excuse the issue.

Basic Member
    I think the retailer you purchased the rifle from should take it, deal with sending it back and the cost. You obviously did not get what you paid for. It is worth a try anyways. There is NO reason a new rifle at any cost should not chamber from the magazine properly, even if it was an Axis. If a company cannot make the 6.5 Needmore cartridge feed properly they should not sell the rifle. Sorry for the frustration on this, I can assure you however Savage makes quality rifles mostly, but every company puts out a turd now and again. The winning solution would have been for them to send you a shipping label and handled it at no cost to you. Customer service these days....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Could be that it’s a 6.5cm, and possibly needs bevel in the Ejector or could be the Bolt. Those Spiral Fluted Bolt sleeves have been exhibiting problems with hanging up on chambering.
    Out of 5 savage actions with the spiral fluted bolts ive never had a feeding issue. None have been 6.5 though.

Team Savage
    With a warm reception like that there's a fairly good chance he wont be making anymore posts either.....

What expensive 6.5 guns are you having feeding issues with?? Because even with the polymer aics mags it feeds pretty good for me..... if its such a "known factory savage magazine issue" maybe instead of him needing to read up on it--- Maybe Savage could address it?

Yes- it can be addressed and maybe the way it was worded wasn't the best... but when you are excited about getting a new gun and you have problems it can be frustrating.
    Your first post on a Savage forum bashing Savage and saying you won't buy another Savage rifle because of a magazine issue, Good riddance to him or her.
    I've owned several custom and big named brand rifles that a single caliber conversion cost's more than several Savage rifles and had to adjust the magazines to feed reliably.
    My Friedn just had a custom switch barrel rifle built and they charged him to adjust the magazines.
    AI, known as Accuracy International adjusts their magazines and as I mentioned in a previous post, has magazine adjustment tools to make rounds feed reliably.
    Giving up on a rifle because it didn't feed rounds reliably from the get go is childish behavior and should be treated as such.
    Maybe he/she should've asked for help in their first post, not bashing Savage ?

SJC

Basic Member
    Childish? For wanting a rifle that works.

So from what you have said, a mfg can charge thousands and then make the customer finish their job for them? Why doesn't the mfg take the time to do the work if they already have the tools to do it? Stupid.

Your first post on a Savage forum bashing Savage and saying you won't buy another Savage rifle because of a magazine issue, Good riddance to him or her.
    I've owned several custom and big named brand rifles that a single caliber conversion cost's more than several Savage rifles and had to adjust the magazines to feed reliably.
    My Friedn just had a custom switch barrel rifle built and they charged him to adjust the magazines.
    AI, known as Accuracy International adjusts their magazines and as I mentioned in a previous post, has magazine adjustment tools to make rounds feed reliably.
    Giving up on a rifle because it didn't feed rounds reliably from the get go is childish behavior and should be treated as such.

SJC
    So you buy a new pickup truck and you have to adjust the engine to get it to run this would be acceptable? Not everyone on here can afford high dollar guns or is a gunsmith. Some folks just buy a gun and expect it to work. Thank you for your kind advice.

Banned
    Guys, relax.., Whoosa.., oam.., Rub your temples & ear lobes. It’s ok. This is not something to argue about either way. It’s been very well documented that some Savages suffer from feeding issues when chambered in the 6.5CM. Savage did themselves no favor making a sub-par fluted bolt sleet that only exasperates the problem. The OP is new to Savage and has no knowledge of this. He’s now been informed. Regardless, he has the right to feel the way he does. No reason to rebuke him for it. He has been informed & it’s his choice to regard or disregard that information Myself & Fred posted in the beginning. Just the same, there is no reason to argue among yourselves over a person not liking Savage on their first post.

Basic Member
    Well said Dave!

Basic Member
    That whole 6.5 Creed issue makes me hesitant to buy another Savage rifle if/when my club range expands to 1,000 yards. Kind of hate that because otherwise I`ve really enjoyed my other Savage guns in .223 ( 2 of them ) and 17HMR.

Team Savage
    [QUOTE=Rifle20;520775]

SJC[/QUOTE

So you buy a new pickup truck and you have to adjust the engine to get it to run this would be acceptable? Not everyone on here can afford high dollar guns or is a gunsmith. Some folks just buy a gun and expect it to work. Thank you for your kind advice.
    My advice would've been not coming on a Savage forum and in your first post bashing Savage.
    Maybe try searching for answers or ask for advice to fix the magazine issue before throwing it out with the bath water ?
    Gunsmith or not, tweaking a magazine is simple and "ALL" manufacturers who use magazines have had some sort of magazine feeding issue and have tutorial videos on how to adjust them.
    Some Savage rifle owners here have no issues with their magazines feeding properly.
    Knowing how to fix a minor magazine feeding issue should be common knowledge for a responsible firearm owner.
    Here's a tutorial video for adjusting HS precision magazines.
    HS precision is known for building cheap and sub par firearms, so they have this tutorial for non gunsmiths to learn how to adjust their magazines.
    https://hsprecision.com/adjust-feed-lips/

SJC

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=shoots100;520813]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifle20 View Post
    My advice would've been not coming on a Savage forum and in your first post bashing Savage.
    Maybe try searching for answers or ask for advice to fix the magazine issue before throwing it out with the bath water ?
    Gunsmith or not, tweaking a magazine is simple and "ALL" manufacturers who use magazines have had some sort of magazine feeding issue and have tutorial videos on how to adjust them.
    Some Savage rifle owners here have no issues with their magazines feeding properly.
    Knowing how to fix a minor magazine feeding issue should be common knowledge for a responsible firearm owner.
    Here's a tutorial video for adjusting HS precision magazines.
    HS precision is known for building cheap and sub par firearms, so they have this tutorial for non gunsmiths to learn how to adjust their magazines.
    https://hsprecision.com/adjust-feed-lips/

SJC
    The fact that people sell a tool or that hs puts out a video showing how to adjust mags is really not relevant to this discussion--- The reason you should have to adjust mags is because you changed cartridges from factory- used a different chassis/ bottom metal combination or how the mag/action combine. When they sell a mag they don't have control over what combination of things you are going to combine so some adjustments should be expected-- BUT- in this case savage had every part and did the assembly. That is completely different than you building a gun and then being annoyed you have to tweak something.

If savage does something wrong then they deserve to be called out for it- even on a savage forum. They need to up their game and fix the known issues. They are getting a little crazy with the pricing of some new guns and not doing anything to justify it. They can slap a carbon fiber barrel on- and throw it in a high quality chassis (both add obvious expense that they need to make up for) but if they never address the issues at the heart of the gun (the action) then it's still a losing proposition to buy one.

I have enjoyed my Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor. Never even the slightest hickup. Have run about 600 through her so far. Very enjoyable rifle to be sure. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Padded carriers..jpg   Stealth 1.jpg   Stealth 4.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    It’s Not a magazine issue. You guys arguing in Left Field, at Half Time, going into the 3rd Period on Match Day… capisce!

Basic Member
    ....If savage does something wrong then they deserve to be called out for it- even on a savage forum. They need to up their game and fix the known issues. They are getting a little crazy with the pricing of some new guns and not doing anything to justify it. They can slap a carbon fiber barrel on- and throw it in a high quality chassis (both add obvious expense that they need to make up for) but if they never address the issues at the heart of the gun (the action) then it's still a losing proposition to buy one.
    ^^^This is it. How long have feeding issues with the 6.5CM been brought up to Savage. It's a REALLY simple fix and they ignore it. Or bolt lift effort. Or bolts/screws not tightened. Instead they raise prices.

We know they listen. They kinda fixed the rubber fore arms by introducing a new stock. That is not a cheap thing to do. If they can bring out a whole new stock setup surely they can fix some of these simpler issues.

I won't buy another Savage either. I have two of them and I will continue to use them but future actions will be from other mfgs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    ^^^This is it. How long have feeding issues with the 6.5CM been brought up to Savage. It's a REALLY simple fix and they ignore it. Or bolt lift effort. Or bolts/screws not tightened. Instead they raise prices.

We know they listen. They kinda fixed the rubber fore arms by introducing a new stock. That is not a cheap thing to do. If they can bring out a whole new stock setup surely they can fix some of these simpler issues.

I won't buy another Savage either. I have two of them and I will continue to use them but future actions will be from other mfgs.
    I`m afraid that`s kinda me, charlie. I wish it wasn`t. Looking hard at Bergara and Tikka for a longer shooting range rifle. Really liking the Bergara HMR line.

Basic Member
    I recon that's capitalism, people speak with their wallets. Once the financial impact hits hard enough the manufacturers will fix the issues, or not and then suffer the consequences. Everything I own I built custom from Savage actions so I can not really add anything to this conversation except I love Savage, I also dislike 6.5 Needmoor so there is that also. I still say though when you buy a NEW RIFLE it should work, the customer should not be expected to tweak anything. I have been building rifles for 30 years and I would NEVER provide a rifle to a customer that did not feed properly, it simply would not fly. Quality control should catch these issues and if one slips through the manufacturer should burden all costs to make it right including shipping. So with that said I hope Savage sees these posts and makes good the rifle the customer purchased or refunds him. My last 2 cents on this topic :) Have a great weekend guys!

Team Savage
    Maybe tried this as their first post ?
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...l=1#post515849
    Variety is the spice of life.
    There are a lot of more refined firearm manufacturers out there than Savage, but not with the sales numbers of Savage.
    Savage sells over 1.5 million firearms a year, most of those being rifles and the percentages of QC issues are more prevalent with those numbers.
    All I'm saying is that it's a little extreme to stop using a manufacturer if tweaking a magazine is all that's needed to make the rifle function and you have a wealth of knowledge here to to draw on to help alleviate the issue.
    Happy Sunday.

SJC

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    That whole 6.5 Creed issue makes me hesitant to buy another Savage rifle if/when my club range expands to 1,000 yards. Kind of hate that because otherwise I`ve really enjoyed my other Savage guns in .223 ( 2 of them ) and 17HMR.
    I have 3 savage 6.5 creedmoors, only one had a slight catch when feeding and a feed lip adjustment was all it took to fix... i wouldn't worry about it.

Not just Savage, but I have used the feed lip adjustment tool on many mags including those for my M14s. Just a part of the game and it's nice to see folks sharing that tidbit with someone that was unaware. Knowledge is the key to the world. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Team Savage

OP hasn't logged in since his reply on Jan 19th...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast