Thread: New Old Guy-belated......

New Old Guy-belated......

Well Hello all:

Per my post title, I'm both an old guy(4 score), and would be considered 'new(3 posts)', and per the 'belated' issue, I joined back in '16. I'm not a big forum/bulletin board type. If I have questions I'll ask, and occasionally comment on a topic, but I'm not given to posting for posting sake.

I'm in Thornton, Colorado, on the north side of Denver, born and raised on wheat/cattle ranch east of town. Family still has vestiges of original home place. It gives me a place to hide out, shoot a few pd's, and reminisce. I earned my living in chemicals, skied the Colorado mountains, climbed several of the 14er's, and scaled a few rock faces along the front range and Utah desert. Shot a few elk, deer and antelope through the years, and enjoyed the lean meat.

I have heavy barrel disease, thanks to my oldest son, who was, and got me, enthralled in the first Rem Senderos back in the '90s. I've had a couple of those, and ended up with a "pretty" Sendero, altho' aforementioned son ended up with it in usual familial goings-on. Allaying the likely scourges for the above brand reference, my Savage choices have been an early BVSS 112 in 30-06, and more recently, an Axis II heavy bbl in 308. Together with a few custom rifles, I've acquired a modest collection of heavy barreled rifles that I load for. Notably, the 112 3006 is arguably the most accurate rifle I have, including the custom builds, save for a 223AI.

I've been handloading for right at 50 yrs now, rifle and pistol. first equipment was Herter's stuff in '73, still in use, along with a couple Rockchuckers. Although not real prolific, I do enjoy loading and find enjoyment in taking a new gun and working up loads for it. Hence the acquisition of the Axis II. It had its own issues, and like the first build, a 25-06 AI, has been a learning experience for me. I restocked it in a Boyd laminate and am further modifying it. I do average woodwork, not pretty, but sturdy and servicable. So the Boyd stock will get a lengthened grip cap and palm swell.

I've bored you all to tears by now, so I'll leave this missive as is and go read the board.

-West out (I coined a new online 'handle' a few years ago: WestDivide, alluding to west and east Divide creeks, south of Silt, CO, a favorite bow hunting locale) But, it's too much hassle to change now.
    Sometimes ya just gotta take a deeper breath.....

Welcome back
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Nice little resume there pard. Welcome! (Even though you registered just after I did. Hahaha!) Hope to here from you a bit more. I’m sure you have some fine stories to tell.

"I'm not given to posting for posting sake"

Awesome.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    welcome