Thread: Mdt chassis question

Basic Member

Mdt chassis question

Never used a chassis or aics magazines. If i was to buy one of these https://mdttac.com/hnt26-chassis-system/ would it be as simple as dropping an ultralite into this chassis and popping in an aics mag? Is there some compatibility issue im missing? Or could i just take an ultralite out of its stock, put it in here and be set?

Banned
    Didn’t I recommend this in another thread?

The answer is yes! It is that simple! Some might think the most difficult part is shelling out that kind of coin! But it really is just as you said. Remove Action screws, remove barreled action from factory stock, seat barreled action in new Chassis & install/torque action screws. Then use any one of the appropriate I AICS mags you wish. By

The only thing I would caution is to make certain you are a true Savage fan before spending so much. Because you will never the money back from the large bulk of modifications. Remember, just because Savage sells something similar $3300, doesn’t mean yours is now suddenly worth that to sell. I’m in the same boat! But I’ve never once worried about resale value. You

Basic Member
    Thanks, resale value isnt a concern. Just want to try out the chassis thing. Putting it on my predator rifle. 16" 223 wylde.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm Scream View Post
    Thanks, resale value isnt a concern. Just want to try out the chassis thing. Putting it on my predator rifle. 16" 223 wylde.
    Oh, it’s a 223? Ok, I would call them before you order. They don’t list the 223 AICS Mag as fitting the HNT26. It may be because it’s so new. I would give them a call first to see what magazine is used.

Basic Member
    Didnt even think of that. Well if it wont work with the 223 mags, ill use it on my 243 or 308. No big deal.

Basic Member
    Just called and asked, they said im good to go for the 223 mags

Banned
    Sweet! Well, you’ll certainly be the first one I’ve heard or seen using it. It is one slick looking looking Chassis. And the weight of it is insanely light! If ultimate weight savings is what you are after, a Lumley Ti Bolt Handle & Billet Aluminum Knob & their TI BAS will shed a few more ounces. And you can even use Ti Action screws. (I always use Titanium screws where I can. I get them from https://www.ti64.com/default.asp ) Also, compare weights of different scopes out there. Leupold has actually been on top for having the highest weight savings in Glass. And of course, make certain to use Alloy Scope Rail & Rings. Savage has there 110 Ultralight Elite at 5.8lbs. Could probably get it sub 5.5lbs. Scary light!

Basic Member
    I put alumley ti bolt handle on my 243, ordered one for the 223 and 308 too. Thanks for the tip on the titanium screws. I dont worry so much about weight of a scope, i just get the scope that will work best for my purposes. Right now i have a 1-10 sig on the 223 but just cant make myself like the reticle, so when i get home im swapping it out with a 1-6 leupold patrol 6hd that i took off of a different gun i just sold recently.
    One more question though, guess ill figure it out when i get home, but how does the bolt release work? Bbr, guessing ill have to take the action out of the chassis if i need to pull the bolt?

Banned
    No, you won’t need to separate the Barreled Action from the HNT26 to remove the bolt. The bigger pictures don’t show it, but if scroll down the MDT page for the HNT26, there is a smaller picture of just the Magnesium Chassis section. It shows a slot on the side, right where the BBR lever is.(picture below) A mini screwdriver or pic is used to push the lever to remove the bolt. I know, I know… lots of guys are going to complain about how difficult it is, yadda-yadda. But hey…, I’ve been operating all manner of rifles & pistols with one arm/hand since 2014! Hasn’t stopped me. LOL!

Picture right from the MDT page is the Magnesium Chassis section only of the HNT26. I circled the slot in Red.

Here is an MDT ESS Chassis showing the same slot for Savage 110 BBR removal.

Basic Member
    Okay, thanks for all your help. No that little slot isnt ideal, but if i like the chassis i can live with it. Figure ive never once had reason to remove my bolt when im out hunting.

Basic Member
    What im more worried about is that ill like it too much, then ill have to get 2 more

Team Savage

What im more worried about is that ill like it too much, then ill have to get 2 more
    Seems to always go that way doesn't it?

Happened to me too. Put a 110 LA .223 in an ORYX and liked it so much I have one on order for my 110 LA .308. As it works out I have to use the same magazine for both calibers as no one makes a LA .223 mag in the style that will fit the MDT chassis. Having fun moving the rifles back and forth for the halibut. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 308 2.jpg   110 308 3.jpg   Sav 110.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Got my shipping notice already, tracking says chassis is arriving friday. Out at sea though, home in maybe 10 days. Ill be playing with that as soon as i get back. Just rebarreled a factory ultralite into a 16" 243 and put an elf trigger in it, so i will be spending some bench time with that gun too.

Banned
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your completed Rig.

Basic Member
    Well i got home and got to check out the chassis and it looks pretty sweet. Taking the 223 out on a hunt tomorrow, then ill be swapping scopes and putting the chassis on and rezeroing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240128_163729_copy_800x600.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	10343

Basic Member
    Man this thing is slick. Just put it on, and swapped scopes and rings and bolt handle while i was at it. Heading to my parents tomorrow to rezero, cause my dad has a real nice indoor shooting bench with targets out to 300.

One issue with the chassis, the 10 round poly mags i ordered from mdt work perfect, but the 5 round metal mags i ordered elsewhere want to drop down just a hair, to where they wont feed unless you hold them up. Going to try a couple other brands of 5 round mags i guess.

Basic Member
    Pic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240130_135255_copy_800x600.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	10355 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240130_143915_copy_800x600.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	10356

Very nice. Bet she performs well also. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Very nice!

Basic Member
    Well i managed to get the 223 rezeroed today during the short lived, infrequent breaks in the fog. Really like this mdt chassis and im sure ill get another for my 243 soon. My groups actually opened up just a little bit, but im not sure the chassis is to blame. More likely caused by switching from a 1-10 scope to a 1-6 scope. But still sub moa 5 shot groups at 200, and ringing the 6" steel at 300 was boringly easy, so im not sweating it. Its a very rare exception that i take a shot at an animal beyond 100 yards anyway. Usually much closer. Hence the lpvos on my hunting rifles.

Basic Member
    Well, that happened pretty fast. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240317_202837_copy_600x800.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	10521

Banned
    Geez-Louise! Ya have what… between $10,000-$12,000 of Rifle/Chassis/Scope sitting there? Good Grief! Yeah, I’d say that was pretty quick. LOL!

I am surprised you did all three so very….. uh, similar?? Nah, not similar. Rather, I guess more, almost exactly the same?LOL J/K But seriously, good on ya my friend. They are some fine looking Rigs! Beautiful!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Geez-Louise! Ya what… between $10,000-$12,000 of Rifle/Chassis/Scope sitting there? Good Grief! Yeah, I’d say that was pretty quick. LOL!

I am surprised you did all three so very….. uh, similar?? Nah, not similar. Rather, I guess more, almost exactly the same?LOL J/K But seriously, good on ya my friend. They are some fine looking Rigs! Beautiful!
    I feel like having them all as similar as possible helps in a hunting situation when adrenaline is up. I really liked the 2.5-12.5 trijicon i put on the 308, so i just put a pair of trijicon 1-6 on the 223 and 243. At this point, only differences going forward, other than the 308 having higher magnification, are the 223 having the stainless lightweight action, while the other 2 have the blueprinted ultralight actions. And the rings are different. Just waiting on my bolt knob for the 233 to mmatch the other two. But all have 16" carbon6 barrels, elf triggers, trijicon accupoints, hnt26 chassis, all pretty much the same guns in different calibers. And all shooting tight little clusters on paper, and ringing steel at 400 is stupid easy. Im pretty happy with these.