Thread: Stevens 200 aftermarket parts and compatibility?

Stevens 200 aftermarket parts and compatibility?

Hello all!

New guy to this forum.

My wife came into our marriage with a Stevens 200 rifle chambered in 7mm-08. The action is surprisingly smooth and I'm considering rebuilding it for her. I'm not interested in the rifle as it's pretty low on the totem pole compared to the rest of my fleet…as it sits now However, if I were to rebarrel with a carbon barrel and throw it in a nice stock, it would actually be a nice modern rifle. The questions I have for you folks:

• Can I use a standard Savage prefit barrel on that action?
    • Will this action fit in say…a Savage 110 after market stock?
    • Any thoughts on an aftermarket trigger? Again, would Savage 110 replacements work?

I'm looking to stay with 7mm-08 as I have many reloading components and dies for this caliber. I'd be looking at a 20" barrel preferably a carbon. Stock wise..maybe a B&C or HS Precision To keep the cost down. Light weight with a lighter budget build is the goal.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle ( Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 blind magazine ) converted to a DBM ina stock ordered from Numrich Gun Parts for model 10. All worked perfectly except a little work to get mag to fit in stock correctly. Happy with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use a standard Savage small shank barrel.
    If your Stevens 200 is a short action then you would want a stock that fits a short action Savage.
    Aftermarket trigger? I use Rifle Basix Sav1. They will work on your Stevens 200.

Banned
    Welcome to our Forum.

What they said. The Stevens 200’s are 4.400” screw spacing. So any of the stocks/Chassis of today will fit. And yes, the 200’s are Small Shank barrel. Any Pre-Fit barrels today will work.

As for triggers, I actually prefer the stock Triggers. Especially the Accutrigger after I work my magic.

Edit Correction:
    The Stevens 200 did use Staggerfeed the 4.275” spacing, but was changed in 2007 to Centerfeed & the more common 4.400”. I just pray I haven’t torn a hole in the space time continuum over this egregious & deplorable oversight. LOL!

Pretty sure the action screw spacing could be either 4.275(staggerfeed) or 4.400(centerfeed). I’m almost positive they made them in both. Just measure your action screw spacing to be sure before you buy a stock for it.

I second the rifle Basix Sav-1. Much better than the factory 2 screw trigger that would currently be on yours.

Also, not sure how many Savage barrels you have swapped, but I recommend using an action wrench over a set of barrel blocks or barrel vice. Those old factory barrels can be very stubborn to break loose, especially the blued ones, and an action wrench will help you not to warp the action and ruining it trying to get the barrel off.
    You’ll need a barrel nut wrench to go with it either way.

Awesome! Thanks fellas!

I measured action bolts with a caliper and it’s 4.4!

I love how you post so much right stuff and then total B.S.. Dave, If you don't know, wait and let someone who does answer.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I love how you post so much right stuff and then total B.S.. Dave, If you don't know, wait and let someone who does answer.
    ??? Something specific?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Pretty sure the action screw spacing could be either 4.275(staggerfeed) or 4.400(centerfeed). I’m almost positive they made them in both. Just measure your action screw spacing to be sure before you buy a stock for it.

Yes, you are correct pdog. They made the change in 2007. My apologies.

Personally I like the Stevens 200s as improvement projects rather than installing aftermarket. If it has the old style " Lawyer trigger without the sear adjustment then replace it with a takeoff factory 3 screw and make a lighter leaf spring from piano wire ( spring steel wire) from a hardware or music store. A crisp 2# with no creep that breaks like a glass rod is easily acheivable. The factory stocks are great cantidates for bedding with epoxy using neutral shoe polish as release agent. All kinds of coll things you can do to the factory stocks with rattlecan paintjobs too. Factory takeoff barrels are plentiful and cheap for caliber changes and cutting them down is a great way to remove weight and improve their handiness as a carbine. Home made bolt lift kits are easy to do. There are so many improvements to the old flatbacks in my opinion there's no need for aftermarket. Im always keeping an eye out for them as a project and the ones produced after Ron Coburn took over Savage generally have excellent quality.
    Pretty much all the improvements Ive mentioned have been documented here and are why Ive been hanging around here for a couple of decades now.
    Welcome aboard and have fun with your project.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    If it has the old style " Lawyer trigger without the sear adjustment then replace it with a takeoff factory 3 screw and make a lighter leaf spring from piano wire ( spring steel wire) from a hardware or music store.

Or, on that spring, anyone who needs one could just message your name and address to me & Ill stick one in the mail for ya. As I have an enormous supply of the .040” Spring Wire and have several made & ready to go.