Thread: A 1993 F prefix 110 .308

Basic Member

A 1993 F prefix 110 .308

Got one yesterday. Not showing much use and what use there was was a long time ago judging from the congealed, oxidized goo in the action.
    She's got the plastic sights, checkered stained hardwood stock. I replaced the fuzzy Bushy Sportview 3x9 with a Redfield Tracker SE 4x and will make do with the Kwiksite see through mounts until I find better.
    I cleaned and adjusted the trigger to a very nice, consistent 3 & 1/2 pound pull.
    I've had a few 110s over the years, but this one shows better fit/ finish than the others.
    Once I got the oxidized goo off the bolt, I was surprised how smooth the bolt runs. Not 110 smooth, but SMOOTH! She cocked a bit stiff and the extraction cam was a bit loose. Tightening the bolt plug screw put it right.
    Haven't got her dirty yet, but hope to soon.
    I looked at a lot of rifles before I bought this one. A deciding factor was there's nothing this rifle will need that REQUIRES a gunsmith. A good trait to have nowadays! And quality wise, these old 110s are head and shoulders above what passes for a bolt action rifle today. No rifle should go ZIIIP when running the bolt!
    Used to see 110s for sale all the time. Not anymore...

Basic Member
    Took her out today with a box of Federal 150 grain Power Shoks. 20° and breezy. WHAT was I thinking???
    FFE was 100%. Recoil was not typical .308 due to the scope danglin' in mid air like an M 91/30 sniper...
    Copper fouling was almost nonexistent. This was a surprise given the tool marks in the bore.
    Groups of 3 at 100 yards ran from 1 & 1/4 down to 15/16ths, which was the first group after zeroing.
    The trigger was very good and contributed to the nice results.
    Cases showed no surprises, and I believe we're off to a good start.

Banned
    Excellent my friend! Glad you had such a good experience. Sounds like a keeper

Basic Member
    Thanks! One range trip does not a trend make. But I'll take a good start anytime. My old .270 was a DOG until I had 400 rounds down bore. She was used when I got her.
    I'm hoping to make a nice 2-300 yard rifle for the range and where non lead ammo is required. My primary hunting rifles are muzzleloaders and a WONDERFUL Remington 760 .35 Remington.
    I've no doubt this .308 will go for a walk now and then...

Basic Member
    This rifle can shoot! Popped off 10 today. Federal Power Shoks. First group was 5/8ths at 100 last was an inch, largest was 1& 1/2. My fault on that one.
    I've done nothing but clean her and adjust the trigger. With the high mounted scope, she does beat me pretty good, and canting is an issue. I'm very pleased with my '93 flatback!

Im a fan of the flatbacks myself.
    Enjoy
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Congratulations. So nice to have fine toys to play with. Been doing a little work on a 110 .308 of the same vintage. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 308 3.jpg   110 308 2.jpg   110 308.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Team Savage

Add another flatback fan.

Only major problem with the flat-backs was that they were hand polished which often resulted in the rear flat not being square and level to the axis of the bore which would result in a canted scope base. Sometimes you would also have to shim the rear base as the person doing the polishing would get a little heavy-handed and remove too much material.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    We’ve seen more than one or two like that, just in my time here. Weren’t the Flat Backs more prone to twisting as well? Maybe I’m remembering that wrong. In any case, while I do prefer my Round Back, Center Feed, Accutrigger model, the one I have now was the very First round back I’ve owned. All my past Savage 10/110’s have been Flat Backs. And two of them in 30-06 at that! Never had a single problem with any of them. Even my very first: A box stock model 111 with the cheap black synthetic stock & Simmons 3-9x40 scope, chambered in 30-06. One of the Kmart Specials from the mid-90’s, LOL! But that gal would put Remington 165gr. Core-Lokt right around 1moa or better, all day every day. And with a dumb 18yo (me), behind the trigger at that! That girl was a Flat-Back, Stagger Feed, but man o’ man did I love her!

Sorry…, just a little story.. reminiscing & what not. Been doing quite a bit of that. Maybe I’ll make a thread.