Thread: 300 WSM ultralight stock replacement

300 WSM ultralight stock replacement

My brother picked up a 110 ultralight in 300wsm a while back. His hunt did not work out and he needed some cash, so I now have it. I am not really looking for the weight savings as much, so I would like to put a new stock on it. I specifically would like one that uses AICS mags. Does such a thing exist? I have not been able to locate anything so far. The gun as the bottom bolt release and detachable 2rd mag now. I can't tell if this is a long or short action gun either. A chassis style or something with a vertical grip is preferred.

Historically the 300 WSM has been a short action with large tenon. AICS mags are shorter than the factory savage magazines so AICS may not be your best choice. However, most of the Chassis that fit savage will handle AICS mags. Otherwise it is just about the inlet and the surround/bottom metal.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/sava...h_bolt_release
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    As Robin said, the 110 Ultralight in 300WSM is a Large Shank, Short Action. The link he provided is for a Bottom Metal. Those are used for stocks. He likely overlooked at the end where you stated your preferred is a Chassis style. The modern Chassis all seem equipped to fit the Savage BBR, but instead of a button, you either use your finger, or any kind of small tool: a mini screwdriver, etc. There are a plethora of pistol grip, more straight line Chassis. MDT is the largest producer with many different choices. The Oryx is among is a crowd favorite for its price vs performance. Probably the best bang for the buck. The XLR is another example with the XLR Element Chassis. This is one of the most economical, but don’t let that tell the tale. The XLR was among the first Chassis offered for the 110, so they know what they’re doing. Another one is the MPA BA Comp Chassis. This is a hight end piece. Many say the MPA is by far the nicest in machining, fit, Ergos and of course, aesthetics. But to each their own.

Now this isn’t even close to the full field of Chassis for the Savage 110. However, these are chassis I know work with the Bottom Bolt Release. (BBR) One other thing, the length of the mag only comes into play for Reloading. Most Reloaders load the WSM cartridges quite long! But factory ammunition is limited to SAAMI specifications, which is 2.860COAL. And I’m thinking you’ll be. More a factory Ammunition ​user.

MDT Chassis:
    https://mdttac.com/savage-rifle-chassis/

XLR Chassis:
    https://xlrindustries.com/products/element-chassis

MPA Chassis:
    https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa...ion-chassis-2/

I ordered a 110 Ultralite in 300 WSM from Cabelas. If the factory stock had the aluminum chassis like my High County, probably wouldn't look at an aftermarket.

I debated on the Oryx, XLR 4.0 Extreme, or the TRYBE Defense R.O.C.S. Found the Oryx and TRYBE in stock. XLR is 15-20 weeks lead time. Ended up ordering the XLR because it had a little more flexibility when it comes to LOP that I need, lighter, and looked to double as a viable hunting platform. Wanted to like the Oryx simply because it was available and overall cheaper than the XLR. Too many questions about the TRYBE even through they are on sale at Opticsplanet.

Hope it gets here in time to work up loads before the summer heat kicks in. Would prefer working up a load on the chassis and then seeing how that load performs off the factory stock.