Thread: Consistent misfire with a B17 Left Hand

Team Savage

Consistent misfire with a B17 Left Hand

To start, I don't know if this is a common problem with rimfire ammunition, or my gun specifically. When shooting, I'm getting (usually) 2 misfires for every mag. Not back-to-back, or even the same number in the mag (every 3rd round, or every 5th round.... for example). I've looked at the rounds that misfire, and the shells that fire fine. Same mark from the firing pin. Sometimes the misfired rounds fire fine when loaded back in. Sometimes they don't. It's a Savage B17F left hand shooting Hornady 17 gr VMAX.

Thoughts?

From your description sounds more to be an ammo issue rather than the gun.

Basic Member
    I agree w-Tinybear. Have you tried any other ammo?? Likely the ammo box was mis-handled, dropped or 'tossed' in shipping. I've had some that will FTF for 2-3 tries. I pulled the bullets and found the primer was scattered throughout the powder and NONE in/around the rim. It's a shame when you're spending 0.40-50 a shot to have to toss them.

Team Savage
    This is the 3rd box of ammo I've ran through the gun, so I'm 150 rounds probably about 30 have misfired. Most of those I can rechamber and will fire just fine. Maybe my gun doesn't like Hornady ammo ��

Basic Member
    Didja get diff ammo ? Maybe the ammo you bought had been 'mis-handled' like dropped boxes? Esp if they were next to each other on a shelf. I've had a couple boxes of 22lr Automatch that were as bad or worse and they were 'same shelf' from BassPro.

Team Savage
    I finally had time to go back to the range, this time I shot 20 grain Winchester ammo, the gun performed the exact same with identical problems/results.

Basic Member
    If your chamber is clean, allowing consistent seating depth, perhaps the 'transfer rod' is 'dragging' inside the bolt. Have you ever taken the bolt apart? My B22 bolt had a bunch of cra* inside, manufacturing debris and 'drying grease'. I propose the inside of the bolt should be pretty dry, maybe a spray of Silicone dri-lube allowed to dry before assembly. And the firing pin itself should NOT be oiled, that could gum up or at least drag in the channel.
    Here's a link to Jim's "YT vid on bolt disassembly -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28LkXjzrFgo

Team Savage
    Ok. That makes sense. I have not disassembled the bolt yet. I will though. Should I take the bolt head apart as well? Or only as far as the video does?

Basic Member
    I would just 'spray-clean' the Firing pin and channel with brake-cleen unless it's really gummy. You could go on to take the C-clip off and clean that channel, just to 'know' its clean. Not too hard. I use a small pointed scribe to pry the clip off and on, it's sorta fiddly. BTW, I also 'polish' the inside of the receiver to remove any burrs. Has nothing to do with light strikes, just makes the bolt run easier/smoother. ALSO, some have noted that the bolt-guide can 'score' some bullets during cycling and they believe it may cause inaccuracy. I don't think that a small scratch would do that but I 'rounded' the guide anyway. The scratch on My B22 was only tiny and only 'occasional', not deep OR regular. And I "Un-wound" the magazine spring to make loading easier and I rounded the lip of the mags just to remove the 'sharp point' there. These might work for your rifle too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav B22 Bolt Guide Chamfered END.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	10407

Name:	Sav Rotary Mag Tension Mod pic.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	10408

Name:	Sav B22 Mags New-Mod 1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	10409

Team Savage
    I appreciate your help. Thank you. I just finished reassembling the bolt after cleaning it. Couple of things I noticed, the nut at the back was loose. it was one complete turn from tight. Also, the threaded end of the nut is chipped. The very end of it right where the threads start. It tightened down nicely during reassembly. There was some assembly lube in the bolt, mainly on the spring. I cleaned all of that off and inspected the rest of the components as well. I did find some of the tiny chip pieces on the transfer rod, those have been cleaned.

The firing pin slides back and forth nicely in its slot.

How concerned do I need to be regarding the damage on the retaining nut for the bolt? Anything else that raises a red flag?

Here's the damage I found

Name:	PXL_20240221_020530903.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	10416

Basic Member
    Good news that you found 'bits' inside the bolt and they're removed. Might have been 'in the way' of some strikes ? Since that nut tightens well, I would not worry about the chips on the end. Did you put some sort of lube on the inner FP spring and/or Transfer rod ? I just put spray-silicone inside.
    PS -
    Be sure to check and clean the inside of the chamber to get out Carbon ring, if any is developing.

Basic Member
    Have you fired it since you made the changes?

Basic Member
    I was just checking back to ask what prdatr beat me to. And I was thinking maybe the loose nut was resulting in slightly lower Fp-strikes, at least intermittently. It's always the 'sometimes' probs that are hardest to ID.

Team Savage
    I haven't had a chance yet, I'm hoping this Saturday I'll be able to back to the range.

Team Savage
    I'm back from the range, gun shot much better! I had a few misfires towards the end, about the 60 bullet mark. It has 3 light strikes in a row. I took it home and re-cleaned the bolt, I removed the clip on the bolt head and cleaned the head as well. All with brake clean. There was definitely some powder residue in the firing pin slot.

I spayed a small amount of dry silicone lubricant in the bolt as well.

I think the gun is good now, thank you guys.

Patrick