Thread: new to the savage Axis platform however accomplished shooter.

new to the savage Axis platform however accomplished shooter.

Obtained a Savage axis II in 30-06 I am sure this will compliment my rem 700 also in 30-06.....

Banned
    Welcome!

While the Axis is a more economical rifle than the Rem700, it’s still a very competent hunting rig. And I’m thinking that’s it’s purpose for you, being you seem to like the 30-06. Although, I’ll admit, there was a time in my younger years that I wanted all my bolt actions in 30-06.

Team Savage
    good rifle

exactly so both are for hunting haven't owned a savage before however couldn't pass up the deal so.. now I do!

seems so the bolt is rather stiff at the last when cocking, however I have seen some kits to alleviate that.

Quote Originally Posted by ragsflh View Post
    good rifle
    seems so the bolt is rather stiff at the last when cocking, however I have seen some kits to alleviate that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by M1AG30 View Post

Yes, it’s called Heavy Bolt Lift and Savage Bolt Guns are susceptible to it. If you search those key words “Bolt Lift”, you’ll find countless threads dealing with the issue. Some better minds than my own have come up with several different modifications to help. And while none do a whole lot on their own, when combined they make for a considerable reduction in the lifting force. (Cocking). Many of us have achieved Bolt Lift light enough to operate the Bolt Handle, lifting with one finger. I actually made a YouTube video I’ve shown here several times doing just that. Operation with one finger.

I always tell people the very first mod in counteracting heavy lift, is purchase of a longer Bolt Handle & Knob. The increase in mechanical advantage is the single best mod on its own, IMO. Next is a Bolt Lift Kit. Now, because you have an Axis which uses a 1-piece firing pin & Cocking Indicator being the back of the firing pin coming out the back of the BAS, you will need to use the Thrust Bearing/Washer style kit. In my case, I have a model 110 which uses an Adjustable Firing Pin assembly & no cocking indicator, so I’m able to use the single Bearing Ball in the center of a Lift Plate machined to fit in the Cocking Sleeve. The single point of contact provides a lower Coefficient of Friction than the Thrust Bearing style, using many Bearing Balls. However, it’s still better that nothing.

After these options things get slightly more difficult. Certain areas need polished and such. People have done modifications to the FP spring also. A couple of the many things a bonefide Savage Smith ​gets into.