Thread: 110 Precision AICS Magazine lengths?

Basic Member

110 Precision AICS Magazine lengths?

head ... spinning... does anybody know what size the AICS mag is for the various 110 Precision Left Hand chamberings?
    link for reference, https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57695

308 Win / 6.5 Creed will be the same and too short. 300 WinMag probably the best choice if the bolt head swaps but i have zero interest in the WinMag itself. 338 Lapua is interesting though, it's a little longer and bigger yet case head but i'd go Lapua over WinMag if the mags are the same. 300 PRC longer again and same case head as the WinMag, length may put it in a different class (barrel shank)? so what cartridge uses which AICS mag?

from what i've found so far, 3.240", 3.560", 3.715", 3.850" and 4.05" are available from MDT, i have no idea which Savage uses. i'm trying to figure out the least painful way to get to my end goal, .473" bolt head, 30-06 / 300 WinMag OAL 3.34" (3.240" would do) capable magazine for a somewhat obscure long range wildcat cartridge. the barrel shank size comes into play also for the barrel swap. the simplest way to break down the 1st step is,

what chambering 110 Precision LH should i start with to get the best action length / magazine OAL?

2nd question, can the 300 WinMag .532" bolt head be changed to .473"? (i see the LH LA bolt head available at Gun Shack if it's the right one)
    link for reference, https://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts?product_id=1918

3rd, what size barrel shanks do the 110 Precisions use, which chamberings are small / large?

Thanks In Advance

Banned
    thing is, you haven’t told us what cartridge you are using.

But you want this one if you are using a .473” Bolt Head. https://themagshack.com/shop/rifle-m...ound-magazine/

Basic Member
    224 Clark, dimensioned image here, https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/224-Clark-Load-Data/3156

i've found references to 30-06 in 3 different mag lengths on the MDT page, 3.560", 3.715" and 3.850" (poly), what matters is what Savage offers in their OEM MDT chassis. 30-06 is not an available chambering. i'm planning to test 85's, 90's or more so maybe slightly more OAL? that's why i said the MDT MED(ium) 3.240" mag might work, the 30-06 / 300 WinMag 3.560" will work for sure. FWIW i have dies, brass and some bulk 55gr's for fire forming in a cheap rechambered barrel from EABCO before sourcing a quality fast twist barrel for the heavies

Banned
    Here is the one you want directly from MDT. And in 3.715”.
    https://mdttac.com/30-06-mdt-metal-aics-magazine/

Did you read the details under this magazine about MDT Chassis? The part I highlighted especially.

Banned
    If you read further, it states if using an Axis in Long Action, the 3.515” must be used because the Axis Chassis are made for that length, as well as Tikka.

Honestly, I would prefer the Accurate mag over the MDT. https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/...-30-06-spring/

Basic Member
    yes i've seen it many times over the last couple days. the next note below the one you highlighted leads me to believe that Savage and MDT commercial chassis's are not necessarily the same, Savage can spec any mag they want and MDT agreed to supply then under contract. yes i've tried calling Savage but gave up on hold for too long, and searched 3rd party vendors for the mag length spec, next step is email message and wait / hope they respond. then hope they'll provide the info? from what i've seen they play their cards close. BTW, i'm not looking at Axis, it's the 110 Precision Left Hand as i linked in the OP. also FWIW, the Savage 110 Precision LH chassis (LSS-XL GENII) does not appear on the MDT page, further convincing me that they may be built to spec / contract

Banned
    Actually, looking further, the MDT Chassis for 110 Long Action cartridges all use 3.850CIP length Mags. It’s listed under choosing Savage LA. (Pic below) And, Yes, I know you are using the 110, not the Axis…this is the 110 section. Also, I read every post entirely in a thread before answering. I was simply making a point. So it’s actually the 3.850” needed for Long Action. But I get what you’re saying. Just need someone with a Long Action 110 Precision or Elite to post.

Basic Member
    FWIW the Elite (Impulse?) uses MDT's ACC chassis.

low traffic or low market saturation?

Banned
    Yes, and I believe they are the sameas sold by MDT & retailers and through Savage on the Rifles. Because I do know the 110’s in 338LM do in fact use a 3.850” mag. So why would Savage order the Chassis in 2 different mag length sizes for the Long Actions? It would not be cost effective. But then, with the Brain Children running Savage Arms, who knows?

Just to add a little confusion to the game. I recently dropped a couple of my Savage LAs, older with upper bolt release, one in .223 and the other .308 into ORYX chassis and both take a 3.715 mag length.

I have an unused Accurate-Mag .308 Win 3.85 length if someone needs it.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    Just to add a little confusion to the game. I recently dropped a couple of my Savage LAs, older with upper bolt release, one in .223 and the other .308 into ORYX chassis and both take a 3.715 mag length.

I have an unused Accurate-Mag .308 Win 3.85 length if someone needs it.

Yes, MDT states which magazine each Chassis takes. The Oryx, TAC21, LSS XL, etc., all say Savage LA under Action choices. Other models like the ESS, ACC & HNT26, all state SAVAGE LA 3.850CIP, under Action choices.

Live and learn from youse guys that been der done dat fer sure.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottleneck Jimmy View Post
    FWIW the Elite (Impulse?) uses MDT's ACC chassis.

low traffic or low market saturation?
    The Impulse is not a 110. If you have a question regarding the Impulse please route it to the Impulse section.

Basic Member
    i'm aware the Impulse is not a 110, but there is an Impulse Elite that i was momentarily unsure if that was what Dave was referring to

any interesting info regarding what 110 Elite Left Hand chamber comes with what length AICS mag ?

Banned
    Already established that. The 110 Precision Elite comes with the MDT ACC Chassis. The ACC Chassis is available in Savage Short Action & Savage Long Action 3.850CIP.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Already established that. The 110 Precision Elite comes with the MDT ACC Chassis. The ACC Chassis is available in Savage Short Action & Savage Long Action 3.850CIP.
    in LH Dave? unless the website is not up to date, which is a possibility ...

ACC Premier LH, Rem 700 SA only https://mdttac.com/acc-chassis-system-left-handed/

ACC Elite LH, Rem 700 SA only

Banned
    I thought you meant purchasing the Savage 110 Elite Precision in Left Hand, as that is what you stated. Yes, I see the MDT Chassis itself is only available in Rem700 SA, but Savage Arms lists the Left Hand 110 Elite Precision in both SA & LA. (300PRC, 300WinMag, 338LM) And it is made for the 3.850CIP mag.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57701

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I thought you meant purchasing the Savage 110 Elite Precision in Left Hand, as that is what you stated. Yes, I see the MDT Chassis itself is only available in Rem700 SA, but Savage Arms lists the Left Hand 110 Elite Precision in both SA & LA. (300PRC, 300WinMag, 338LM) And it is made for the 3.850CIP mag.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=57701
    actually it's the 110 Precision i'm interested in, already punching above my weight budget-wise but yes you're correct if i'm gonna go chassis it'll have to bought complete because they're not available from MDT anyways! Dave, i'm not trying to be difficult (i don't have to try LOL) and i appreciate your help but for the life of me i can't find any mention of mag length on the LH Elite Precision page you linked or the LH 110 Precision page including the 'print specs' hot-linked pages. it just occurred to me could it be because i'm using Firefox browser? IDK. i'll regroup and try again to get both Savage and MDT on the line and see what i can see

Banned
    Oh, no worries. I’m not thinking that at all. I’ve enjoyed the back & forth.

On your screen, do you see the picture I posted in response #7? That is a screen shot right from MDT. Now, the 110 Precision & 110 Elite Precision are different in Chassis, as you know. The Picture in response #7 was for the MDT ACC Chassis, which uses the 3.850” magic. While the 110 Precision uses the LSS-XL. It’s listed in the drop down menu of Actions as either Savage SA or Savage LA. That means it uses the standard 3.760” Long Action magazine.

Banned
    Oh, no worries. I’m not thinking that at all. I’ve enjoyed the back & forth.

On your screen, do you see the picture I posted in response #7? That is a screen shot right from MDT. Now, the 110 Precision & 110 Elite Precision use different Chassis, as you know. The Picture in response #7 was for the MDT ACC Chassis, which uses the 3.850” magic. While the 110 Precision uses the LSS-XL. It’s listed in the drop down menu of Actions as either Savage SA or Savage LA. That means it uses the standard 3.760” Long Action magazine.