Thread: Axis question from a new guy

Axis question from a new guy

Hello all!
    I'm new here but not new to shooting, loading, hunting and all that goes with it. I hope everyone is enjoying a Happy New year and a relaxing weekend. I bought my first Savage rifle recently. It is an Axis chambered in 308 Winchester. I have noticed there is a loud "click" as I begin to lower the bolt. The rifle is still cocked and it appears the striker falls when the trigger is pulled. I have removed the scope bases and that isn't the problem I took the barreled action out of the stock. When I begin to lower the bolt the only thing I can tell is the part that appears to be the sear Jump from the front of that portion of the trigger body and lands in the groove that I believe might be a seer notch. I know my description is probably about as clear as mud but does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem? I hope someone does.
    Thanks so much in advance!
    Rick

Banned
    Welcome.

Look at the back of the bolt as you are turning the bolt handle to close. See the Cocking Indicator Pin sticking out the back of Bolt Assembly Screw(BAS)? Look at that pin closely, you'll see it move forward about .020” or so when closing the bolt handle 100%. Check if the click ​coincides with that pin moving forward.

Hello Dave,
    Thank you for your response and I apologize for being so long in responding. With the bolt fully open and the action "cocked" the pin you are speaking of protrudes quite a bit. When I begin to close the action the loud "click" occurs and and the pin goes forward to where it is inside the bolt body. Much more than .020" I think. after this commotion if I pull the trigger it sounds as though the striker falls. I could put a primed case in it and test if it fires I guess but haven't done that. When the loud click occurs the whole trigger group is involved and what I'll call the seer moves all the way forward and when the click occurs it returns to it's notch. I hope my explanation is not too bad.
    Thanks for the help,
    Rick

Banned
    Ok, yes. That is normal. When you start rotating the bolt yes, the striker is at full cocked position, with the Cocking Pin resting on the shelf of the bolt sleeve. But when you push the Bolt in fully and start turning, the top of the Sear(bolt release)contacts the Sear, pushing against the force of the Sear Spring and brings the bottom part of the Sear into the the notch of the trigger. So that’s all normal. I can’t tell you exactly what the click is exactly. It could be the Sear simply seating on the trigger notch. Or possibly the Cocking Pin as it’s being handed off, so to speak, from the Bolt Sleeve shelf to the bolt release of the Sear. But I wouldn’t worry about it. I wouldn’t waste any Primers. It sounds to me like your trigger is functioning normally. Just to ahead & shoot it with normal ammo & see how it performs. The click ​may go away naturally from use.

Hello Dave!
    Thank you again for your quick response. I'm still concerned because the other day I handled a new Axis at a gunshop and it didn't have the clicking noise at all. The click my rifle produces is very loud. Are there any lubrication points with oil or grease to make my rifle not so noisy?
    Thanks for any help,
    Rick

Basic Member
    I don't think mine ever 'clicked' but the FP falls a good distance before the sear engages it. But, mine has been fired a lot and I've polished the cocking ramps in the bolt body as well.

Banned
    Im wondering: is there any difference if you operate the bolt handle very slowly? You said it’s still doing the same out of the stock & we’ve established it coincides with the Hand Off of the Sear when it’s coming to seat in the trigger notch. This is why I’m curious if you can try operating the Bolt slowly while it’s separated from the stock and if it’s still present.

Yes sir,
    It does it when operating the bolt slowly or fast. And it's loud, I mean hear it at the other end of the house loud. But I like your terminology, it is when the seer is "handed off".
    I really appreciate everyone's help in trying to solve my problem. I've only handled one other Axis and it was very quiet.
    Thanks, and take care,
    Rick

Banned
    Well, my next path investigating would be taking everything apart. Remove the trigger, separate the parts, thoroughly clean, check for any unnatural burrs and such, apply a coating of your favorite lubrication on trigger components and reassemble. Same for the Bolt & Firing Pin assembly. Separate the FP assembly parts: the Spring, Cocking piece & such. Same vigorous cleaning & inspection & reassembly.

Just never know. There could be a edge burr or flashing material on a part causing the noise. And being new, it might simply go away after use. But that would be my next course of action. Though I do. Though I do not know your level of DIW, and recommend caution for those who don’t normally at least tinker with firearms.