Thread: 110 stock suggestions

110 stock suggestions

Does anyone have suggestions for a food but reasonably priced stock? I don't want to pay as much or more for a stock as buying a new gun. I like the old school stocks for hunting rifles, not archangel or anything like that. I have a 110 .270 winchester. I need a new stock. It is a hidden staggered magazine. I don't know if it would accept removable magazines, I'm just not that knowledgeable about it.

Basic Member
    These days, stocks are not cheap... you have to pay at least one month's mortgage on their Aspen hideaway...
    Your best bet is either a gunsmith who has a bunch of takeoffs to select from or someplace like Boyds, Stockys etc.

Composite stocks:
    -Bell and Carlson makes some really good stocks.
    -Hogue has one that’s cheap and better than factory, but not as good as the B&C in my opinion.

Wood/Laminate:
    -Stockys or Boyd’s are the most popular and reasonably priced, although you should have them install pillars in them or have them installed after you buy it.

Team Savage

No, your blind mag 110 will not accept detachable mags. I put a Hogue on my brothers 7RM a few months ago and we were both pleased with it. Some may not but my brother and I both liked the stippled rubberized finish.

Basic Member
    I have always liked my Boyd's stock. When in .223 it didn't need anything else. When I rebarreled it I put in pillars.

Maybe just me but I like the old flatback blind mag factory stocks. I would probably bed it with JB Weld or Marine Tex epoxy and spray paint it and call it good. A bedding job and creating perfect mating surfaces for the action and recoil lug are really nice improvements to the factory units.
    The only factory stocks I've had that actually "needed" replacement were early synthetics mated up to a heavy barrelled action. They would actually cause barrel contact off a bi pod because of the really narrow tolerances between barrel channel and the barrel and the weight of the barrel vs the forward sling stud mounting point of the bi pod and the leverage this setup created.
    I did fix one of these though on my oldest sons 30-06 converted to a heavy barreled .308 ( model10 BA takeoff barrel) by removing a little of the barrel channel with files at the tip and then using a propane Turkey fryer full of boiling water for about 20-30 minutes to heat the stock and then forcing a 1" mop handle into the barrel channel and securing it into place until it fully cooled. The stock never did get really soft but did get flexible enough to accomplish the task.
    Plenty of room in the barrel channel and a decade and a half or so later still has held shape perfectly and no problems with it or with contact.
    More than one way to skin a cat so as a broke dad I thought it through and performed a little econoengineering.
    Not sure of your budget but when you see stock prices, you may ( or may not) choose to try and improve what you have
    There's plenty of good information here at Savage Shooters to help you accomplish just that.
    Good Luck
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.