Thread: Stock recommendations

Stock recommendations

I've got a 111 Trophy Hunter, Long Action, Bottom Bolt Release, Detachable Magazine. Picked it up pretty cheap a while back, it's been reliable for the short ranges of the midwest, but I've recently moved to the Rockies and I think I'll need to get rid of the flexy plastic stock.

I've been looking around the forums and Boyds seems to be about the only answer many have landed on. I've emailed Choate, they don't have an option for me.

My question, in part, is about converting to a blind mag. If I were to do this, would my options open up? I'm not particularly against Boyds, but the reviews I've seen are that they're pretty heavy and I'd like to keep this thing as light as I can.

Thanks!

Banned
    1: Light,
    2: Strong,
    3: Inexpensive/More Affordable.

You can have two of the three options listed. And then there is style to contend with. I take it you are after a more traditional looking stock? If so, that further limits options.

Basic Member
    Try the Stockys website. Plug in what you have and see what pops up. I have two H-S Precision stocks that I like a lot.

Not sure which magazine style your Trophy Hunter has.
    I think they were package guns that had the plastic Axis style release tab instead of the metal mag release on the bottom in front of the magwell. You're going to need to know which to confirm fit and may need to call around and make sure before purchase.

Bell and Carlson may have what you need. Their full length bedding block sporter style stock is a very good unit.
    Hogue also makes Savage stocks in standard, dual pillar bedded and full legnth bedding block models.
    I think theyre about a hundred cheaper than a B&C for the full block models.
    Either may be less than MSRP if you can shop around and find one.

I like the Boyds okay but my problem with them is that synthetic stocks are much more durable and the Boyds absolutely NEEDS pillars and bedding in my opinion because the laminate is soft and the escushions will pull into the wood if you overtorque the action screws even a little. This can cause action screw length problems and binding of the action.
    A ready to go synthetic unit with a block or pillars would be preferable to me.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    They require a but of work but they are very affordable and look great when finished. Can be had in Walnut or Laminate.
    https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.co...porter-styles/

One I have finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0876.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	10278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0877.jpg 
Size:	467.7 KB 
ID:	10279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0885.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	10280

Banned
    Unfortunately, one thing being overlooked: you’re going to need the the blind magazine parts in the stock. Now, Savage may sell these parts to individuals. I don’t know. But the easiest may be trying to find a used, factory-long Action, blind mag stock, and lift the magazine internals from it. Otherwise you’ll need to source the parts from Numrich….maybe.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alguapo View Post
    Try the Stockys website. Plug in what you have and see what pops up. I have two H-S Precision stocks that I like a lot.
    I have an HS Precision stock on my Savage Model 10, and like it as well.

I also have a Boyds stock on a .22 Savage. I've made some modifications to improve it, but I'm not impressed with Boyds.

HS Precision stock at the back, Boyds Pro Varmint front.

Name:	2019-11-15 07.34.55.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	332.6 KB 
ID:	10283

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabst Blue Wizard View Post
    My question, in part, is about converting to a blind mag. If I were to do this, would my options open up?

Thanks!
    I have both a DBM Model 11 and an older Stagger Feed Blind magazine Model 10. Both now have Boyd's stocks on them. So yes I have spent some time researching stocks for both. Personally I do not believe you would gain much in availability by switching. Though what I do understand is that the magazine parts for the blind mags is very limited and in the case of the small retaining clip that holds the metal box into the stock is near impossible to source. So I would take some time and investigate that point before making any decisions on which stock.

Big thanks to all the replies. I've emailed and send photos to a fee places mentioned. If I find a good solution I'll be back to share!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabst Blue Wizard View Post
    Big thanks to all the replies. I've emailed and send photos to a fee places mentioned. If I find a good solution I'll be back to share!
    By the way: You could come back just because. This is The forum for Savage enthusiasts. So welcome to & hope we see you back to participate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    They require a but of work but they are very affordable and look great when finished. Can be had in Walnut or Laminate.
    https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.co...porter-styles/

One I have finished.

Name:	DSCN0876.jpg 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	10278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0877.jpg 
Size:	467.7 KB 
ID:	10279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0885.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	10280
    I was thinking of getting one in solid walnut as well. I take it you like it? Did you bed and pillar?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I was thinking of getting one in solid walnut as well. I take it you like it? Did you bed and pillar?
    Yes I really like it and it was a lot of fun doing it. I did glass bed it and pillars. What I used were 1/4" ID bronze bushings that I found at ACE Hardware because they were the thinnest wall I could find. As there is not a lot of material to work with between the mag well and the trigger well because of the sear..

Have been thinking of doing this same stock for my Model 10 with the blind magazine. Only also thinking of maybe doing it in Rosewood Laminate.

Basic Member
    I'll be doing one as a single shot so not a problem with strength. I was also considering inletting an Al block vs bedding.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I also have a Boyd's Varmint on my Axis. Not what I would choose for hunting. I'd rather have a plastic stock for that.

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1089

Emailed my info to the B&C folks and they confirmed that this stock will fit!

Basic Member
    Nice pick

I think you'll be really happy with it. B&C makes a a very solid stock.
    Post some pics and give us a range report once you get it installed.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I agree. You will like the B&C.

Team Savage

Have an older B&C varmint/tactical and really like it.