Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axis one-piece weaver rail, 2 options?

Basic Member

My 'small' torque wrench is from Harbor Freight. Close enough to keep me from stripping threads :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by First303 View Post
    For the amount of “gunsmithing” I do, I’m not worthy of that Wheeler torque wrench lol. I planned to use my 1/4” drive torque wrench, but it doesn’t go low enough ironically. This is my first new rifle, and even though I mounted scopes before I was worried I was going to strip something or do damage; even though I never have in the past. Between that torque wrench and the Real Avid scope levelling kit, I went over budget with stuff I really didn’t need. What is that saying about a fool and his money

I’ll have a look and make sure it’s not 20moa, I don’t think it is. Every pic online it looks symmetrical too, so it shouldn’t be hard to mount up; whenever it gets here. Thanks for all the info, it is greatly appreciated!

It’s not a 20moa rail. I’m positive of this. It’s actually one of the thinnest rails made. A 20moa rail is typically quite thick. At least at the back. Again, this is the 48400 rail. And it very clearly is not 20moa. Nor is it listed as such.
    https://www.amazon.com/WEAVER-1-Piec...aps,93&sr=8-12

If you don’t want to look at the link, this is the 48400 rail. I can tell just looking at it it’s not 20moa.

And this is about the as thin as a 20moa rail can be!

Basic Member
    The difference is definitely the screw size. In 2021 Savage changed to a larger screw thread size on most of their centerfire rifles, so you either need to identify the production date or take a good look at the screws from the factory base. The size difference will be evident. An in law of mine bought an Axis rifle last year and the shop had a base. Problem was the base was for an older production rifle and the rifle had the larger size threads.

Thank you Dave for the pictures, now I clearly see the difference when they’re posted side by side; completely different and hard to mix up lol. The one I ordered online didn’t show up, and my local gun shop has been waiting on a big Weaver order since Christmas. “It’ll be in next week” . Canadian Tire has the old model one piece rail, but not the new one. I haven’t had a chance to call my other localish gun shop 1.5 hours away to see if they have.

I actually emailed Savage to get the exact date of this model rifle, but they didn’t reply. That was December 27, they were short staffed and very busy in an earlier conversation I had.

Thanks for the reply LHitchcox, I find it odd that these rifles are very common and yet the 8-40 new model bases are hard to find.

My apologies for the late reply guys, I didn’t get any notifications on this thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12