Thread: Bolt issues

Bolt issues

Maybe someone on here can help answer a question about the impulse bolt head coming off and staying inside the receiver.

I work at a retail chain that sells guns. in the past 3 weeks I had a customer release the bolt handle and pull it back and it came out of the receiver and the bolt head stayed in the receiver.

Yes, the bolt head came off the bolt body and was sliding around inside the receiver.

The first time I thought well we will just send it back to Savage for warranty work, but the a second one did the same thing.

I figured out that I could get the bolt head out by lining up the groove with the bolt release button on the side.

Then looking at the bot head and bolt body figured out the if I got it in the right spot it could be pushed back onto the body with a little bump on the back of the bolt handle with a rubber mallet.

Is this something to warn customers about, SAVAGE ARMS??????

Team Savage
    The bolt heads were installed incorrectly from the factory or someone took them apart and installed them incorrectly before you handled them.
    The bolt head twist locks into the bolt body with three lugs and a locking plunger.
    The bolt head lugs can only be inserted into the bolt body in one position to twist lock it in.
    It would take herculean force to rip the bolt head out of the bolt body.
    I have spent years testing, shooting, hunting with and making QC barrel kit parts for Impulse rifles.
    I have never had an issue with bolt head separation or have heard of such issues when conversing with other Impulse owners over the years.

SJC

2.7 - Bolt Head Removal andInstallation1. Remove the Bolt Assembly fromthe firearm as described in section2.4.2. To take pressure off of theextraction plunger, rotate the BoltHandle rearward slightly anddepress the spring-loadedExtraction Plunger at the top ofthe bolt assembly with your thumbor any non-marring object – seeFigure 10 in section 2.5. Allow theBolt Handle to slowly rotateforward. The bolt assembly is nowuncocked.3. Depress the rear of the Bolt HeadLock Plunger with your finger –see number 1 in Figure 14. Thiswill allow the Bolt Head to berotated counter-clockwise andpulled away from the boltassembly – see number 2 inFigure 14.9Figure 144. Install the Bolt Head onto the frontof the bolt assembly with the slot inthe bolt head lined up with thelarge slot in the bolt body – seeFigure 15.Figure 155. Push the Bolt Head towards thebolt assembly. Once it is seated,rotate the Bolt Head clockwiseuntil the slot in the bolt head linesup with the small slot in the boltassembly as shown in Figure 4 insection 2.1.6. Depress the front of the Bolt HeadLock Plunger so that it is flushwith the bolt assembly.7. Hold the bolt body in one hand androtate the Bolt Handle to the rearas far as it will go. At its rearmosttravel, the spring-loadedExtraction Plunger will be fullyvisible - see Figure 3 in section2.1.8. Reinstall the Bolt Assembly intothe firearm as needed asdescribed in section 2.1.