Thread: Bolt face sizes new vs old vs

Bolt face sizes new vs old vs

Earlier this year I purchased a 110 in 7 rem mag from the early 2000s I think (F415393). After contacting savage about getting some spare parts, they told me that they don't carry parts or service rifles during the period mine was built. Mine has a bull barrel on it and I want to replace the action to something with a newer trigger. If I get a newer 338 will I be able to just swap the barrel and bolt? Or are the magnum bolts the same so just swap the barrel?

Banned
    Hey Flinch. I see you found the section you needed. Good. Let me start by saying your current rifle was actually manufactured in 1995. Now, let me correct one thing, if I may; the Actions aren’t really swapped. Some parts can be swapped from Action to Action, but it is the heart of the rifle. Is going to a new trigger your only goal here? Are you referring to using the Accutrigger? Let me ask, are saying you want to take a 338 Lapua & use your 7mm RemMag barrel on it? Why do you think you need the Action from a 338 LM? The problem you are going to have is the stock and mag box. The newer Actions are all Centerfeed. Yours is a Staggerfeed. While there are some who have modified to go from Staggerfeed to Centerfeed, no one that I’ve ever heard of, has or would attempt going the other way around.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. What exactly is it you want? Are you looking to keep 7mmRM or go to 338 LM? And when you say newer trigger, do you just want an Accutrigger or are you looking for an Aftermarket trigger?

Hi Dave, thanks for narrowing down the build year for me. Yes to the accutrigger. I am not experienced enough to know if I would be better off with an accutrigger vs aftermarket trigger.

I want to end up with two rifles, the newer of the two being 7 rem mag but also have an extra barrel(s) in different chamberings. I thought I would buy the new 338 and put the 7mag barrel on it and then buy a 7-08 barrel/bolt combo and but it on the older action so I would end up with two long actions and an 338 barrel. Whereas in the future (if I wanted to) I could then buy barrels to try out chamberings like 243, 260, 6.5, 308 in the older action. I'm not very familiar with the newest Savage actions and not sure what all is switchable yet so I came here to learn.

Banned
    Gotchya. So, you can’t actually swap from out among those 3 that easy. It’s not only a barrel & bolt head difference for all three, but also the stock & magazine. I if you want 338 Lapua, it’s just going to be a 338LM. I’d recommend just buying one. Next, it’s not really feasible switching back & forth between 7mmRM & 7mm-08 either. It would require extensive modifications getting the magazines to work with & feed 7mm-08 correctly. The 110 isn’t a dedicated switch barrel rifle. Again, the big problem is the magazine. People tend to look to the Savage for swapping barrels between cartridges within the same family; like 7mm-08 & 308, or 6.5CM. Or, for those looking to to go from one cartridge to a larger dedicated cartridge. For instance, if you already had a Long Action 308, and wanted to switch to a 7mmRM or 300WM, permanently.

I would recommend reading through the FAQS section on the home page. There are many articles that will give you a better understanding of the 110 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I would recommend reading through the FAQS section on the home page. There are many articles that will give you a better understanding of the 110 platform.
    Ok I will do that. I understood about them having to be in the same family but I guess I assumed that the small action calibers wouldn't have a feeding problem in the large action. I also assumed since the 338 had the same belted parent cartridge as the 7RM that I could just swap them. What would be in the same family as the 7RM?

.338 winchester
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
    Ok I will do that. I understood about them having to be in the same family but I guess I assumed that the small action calibers wouldn't have a feeding problem in the large action. I also assumed since the 338 had the same belted parent cartridge as the 7RM that I could just swap them. What would be in the same family as the 7RM?
    Parent cartridge for both was the 300 & 375 H&H Mags as well as a host of other belted mag cartridges.

Banned
    Sorry, I thought you meant the 338 Lapua Magnum as there is a specific 110 made, which differs from the others. Between the 7mmRM & 338 WinMag yes, it’s just a barrel change.

As for a Short Action cartridge in a Long Action sure that will work. The problem is with the Magazines. Just as removable magazines are different between long & short Actions, the same applies to blind mag boxes. A short Action cartridge used in a long or Magnum Action mag box, is prone to failure to feed/jamming with extensive modification to the mag box. Again, the Savage 110 isn’t looked at for a switch barrel Rig except with cartridges in the same family of cartridges.

OK, I reorganized the list of cartridges in the 'What Fits' thread from the FAQ and added them to the comments.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...comments_start

When looking at the above link, (organised by case head and then again by length) how can a person tell which cartridges are "in the same family"?

Basic Member
    You can and can't. For bolt faces any with the same rim dia will fit the same bolt head. But, action length leads to a different criteria.

A 'family' is usually based on a parent case, like the .308Win family includes the .243Win, 7mm-08, .358Win, etc. Or the 7.62x39 gets you the .220 Russian, PPC line, the 6.5Grendel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You can and can't. For bolt faces any with the same rim dia will fit the same bolt head. But, action length leads to a different criteria. A 'family' is usually based on a parent case, like the .308Win family includes the .243Win, 7mm-08, .358Win, etc. Or the 7.62x39 gets you the .220 Russian, PPC line, the 6.5Grendel, etc.
    I appreciate the reply and I'm not trying to be jerky but I need to get more specific than 'usually' and 'etc'. I was pointed to the FAQ for fitment questions and the post on fitment didn't answer any questions for me. Maybe I'm dense haha, idk. I don't mind putting in the time to make a list for future readers, I just need to know the following:
    Without changing the action, how can a person tell which cartridges can be fired with only a barrel and/or bolt change?

Basic Member
    By knowing what length the action is and what case the magazine was made for.

Banned
    Time & research. Just ask us when you need to know. Many of us here have spent decades learning everything about firearms & ammunition. And we just know which cartridges are from the same parent case, what works & what doesn’t.

Banned
    With your long action, you can swap among standard magnums with just a Barrel, and many long action cartridges with the Barrel & Bolt Head. Although with a blind mag, it may have some trouble feeding without jamming. If you had a stock or Chassis that accepts AICS mags, would eliminate any feeding/jamming issues between Magnum & Long Action cartridges by using the appropriate magazine.

Once again, the Savage 110 is not & should not be thought of as a viable Switch Barrel rifle. It sounds like you still aren’t accepting that. Unfortunately it’s the truth.