Thread: Axis in Oryx Chassis

Basic Member

Axis in Oryx Chassis

Just curious about anyone else's experience with their axis in an oryx chassis. I have an axis 2 in a heavy barrel in .223 in the oryx. I've never been able to get comfortable with it and was just curious as to what others' experiences have been. Has anyone switched out the grip? Done anything else? Thanks in advance.

Banned
    What about it aren’t you comfortable with? Changing out a grip isn’t going to make Night/Day difference in that regard.

When I was a firearms instructor I tended to stay away from that word… comfort. It never seemed to have any place. In pistol training, comfort leads people to instinctively take the wrong grip. That is why new shooters all grip a pistol in nearly the same wrong way! While the correct grip, Thumbs pointing Forward, is actually quite Uncomfortable, to a new shooter. That is, until one is used to it. Then they wonder how they could ever have gripped it differently! There are several other areas this same thing happens. Stance… even sighting at times. For instance, when a person is cross eye dominant. Comfort, causes their shots to be several inches Right or Left depending on eye dominance. I learned early & instructed the same, to conform yourself to the system being used. I always would just shake my head when hearing a person talk about how they shoot X pistol SO much more accurate than Y pistol. I made a habit of relaying this story to those I was teaching. And if there was a table with 12 different pistols, in different calibers/cartridges, I would still shoot each one with relative accuracy. Some may show slightly better than others, but all would be accurate.

Accuracy doesn’t care about comfort. It only cares about fundamentals & consistency. (As it relates to the shooter, not the gear.) If a person finds comfort DOES in fact, take a toll on accuracy, it means they have adopted bad habits instead of focusing on the fundamentals. As a result, they are not consistent.

That aside, if it’s simply a matter of wanting comfort, having nothing to do with accuracy, I completely understand. To me, it goes along the same line as aesthetics. While it won’t change consistency/accuracy in the least, I still want my firearms to be attractive! Same goes for something like a sharp line digging into my hand. While it’s not going upset my consistency, I’d rather it not be there, LOL!

Basic Member
    There's just something about some rifles when pulling it up to my shoulder where everything just seems "right" - not sure how to describe it - it fits nicely into the pocket in my shoulder, LOP is right, my eye is aligned with the scope - maybe comfortable isn't the right word, but it's just that feeling that it all feels just "right".

I've used a pool noodle on a stock in the past and that fit well but with a chassis, I thought the chassis would just fit "right".

Just curious about others who have an axis in a oryx chassis and their experiences right now. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by beefsupreme View Post
    There's just something about some rifles when pulling it up to my shoulder where everything just seems "right" - not sure how to describe it - it fits nicely into the pocket in my shoulder, LOP is right, my eye is aligned with the scope - maybe comfortable isn't the right word, but it's just that feeling that it all feels just "right".

I've used a pool noodle on a stock in the past and that fit well but with a chassis, I thought the chassis would just fit "right".

Just curious about others who have an axis in a oryx chassis and their experiences right now. Thank you.

Let me ask this.....Is this your first chassis with a pistol grip ?? I shoot chassis stocks mostly.
    Here's what I found over the years, personally. On a AR type pistol grip stock, my length of pull
    is shorter then if using a traditional stock. It all has to do with the changed angle in your wrist
    then the rest of your arm, to your shoulder, making an adjustment. Yes, comfortable is a proper
    term. if your not comfortable, you'll fight your hold, then not be consistent.....On another note.....
    I tend to place my optics further forward on a pistol grip type stock......The only thing I can
    mention is....Try different lengths of pulls and cheek placement. before mounting optics. One of
    the biggest problems is mounting optics first, then fighting to get (cough) comfortable with that !!

Edit....Oryx does have spacers to change in an out for length of pull. Problem though is, the 2 rear
    screws are too short to go longer. If you need to go real long, you'll need to find longer screws.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Let me ask this.....Is this your first chassis with a pistol grip ?? I shoot chassis stocks mostly.
    Here's what I found over the years, personally. On a AR type pistol grip stock, my length of pull
    is shorter then if using a traditional stock. It all has to do with the changed angle in your wrist
    then the rest of your arm, to your shoulder, making an adjustment. Yes, comfortable is a proper
    term. if your not comfortable, you'll fight your hold, then not be consistent.....On another note.....
    I tend to place my optics further forward on a pistol grip type stock......The only thing I can
    mention is....Try different lengths of pulls and cheek placement. before mounting optics. One of
    the biggest problems is mounting optics first, then fighting to get (cough) comfortable with that !!

Edit....Oryx does have spacers to change in an out for length of pull. Problem though is, the 2 rear
    screws are too short to go longer. If you need to go real long, you'll need to find longer screws.
    Yes! This is my first chassis with a pistol grip! That actually makes a lot of sense. I'll give that a try and see how it feels. Thanks much!

Basic Member
    While not a Axis Savage, I put a Oryx Chassis on a 110 Switchback and love it for fit and feel, makes the 6ARC chambering a solid benchrest rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6ARC View Post
    While not a Axis Savage, I put a Oryx Chassis on a 110 Switchback and love it for fit and feel, makes the 6ARC chambering a solid benchrest rifle.
    Thanks! Trying to find as many people who are using the oryx on something similar as I really feel like I should like it more than I currently do and want to see what others are doing to enjoy theirs. Thanks!

Banned
    I agree with what Fuj’ said. I’m the same. Use pistol grip Chassis very similar to the Oryx. And yes, my LOP is pretty tight as well, with the scope more forward. This is due to Chassis’ being more In-Line shoulder stock. Much like an AR15. I was also wondering if this was your first pistol grip Chassis. Sorry, I should have asked. That is what my comment on changing out the grips had to do with.

Follow Fuj’s recs. and just give it some time. Not being used to a pistol grip style can throw a shooter off. Just as was said, it puts the shooter in a completely different hold. So expecting it to feel natural from Jump is asking a lot. Practice & give yourself some time to settle into it. For what it’s worth, I use a Magpul MOE K2 pistol grip with my chassis.

Basic Member
    I have 4 Oryx chassis. Two on Savage (Axis SA and 116 LA) another on Howa and one on a REM. I shoot from bench, bi-pod and tripod with confidence.

To Dave and Fuj' comments about the grip, it is a change you have to adjust to.

I'm a big guy with long arms, my LOP is definitely shorter than conventional stocks I've modified. The old "trigger to elbow bend" may not be your best guide for LOP. MDT spacer kits each allow you to increase up to 1", .25" increments and they do come with long screws. Also, the Oryx also is much heavier than the factory stock. This changes the balance and will change your perception of comfort. As suggested, work on getting setup before you mount your glass. Get acclimated to where your cheek settles and the butt settles into the pocket. You'll find the Oryx will help you settle into a repeatable position.

Banned
    No, I don’t believe it’s a matter of physical characteristics either. I’m 6’4”, weigh 280lbs, have ape hanger arms & giant meat paws! Yet I shoot an AR with the adjustable stocks only 1 position from shortest. A2 stocks feel too long, though I can still shoot them just as accurate. And the Chassis on my bench rifle is maybe set just over halfway to longest LOP setting. While I set things to my liking, it doesn’t affect my shooting. I would adapt myself to the gear I at hand, not the other way around.

I will say though, I’m not Fuj’. I no longer have the eyesight or steadiness of hand to pull off 1/4” or less MOA accuracy. Although, neither do most ​shooters. (Including the ones who think they can!).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfabuloso View Post
    I have 4 Oryx chassis. Two on Savage (Axis SA and 116 LA) another on Howa and one on a REM. I shoot from bench, bi-pod and tripod with confidence.

To Dave and Fuj' comments about the grip, it is a change you have to adjust to.

I'm a big guy with long arms, my LOP is definitely shorter than conventional stocks I've modified. The old "trigger to elbow bend" may not be your best guide for LOP. MDT spacer kits each allow you to increase up to 1", .25" increments and they do come with long screws. Also, the Oryx also is much heavier than the factory stock. This changes the balance and will change your perception of comfort. As suggested, work on getting setup before you mount your glass. Get acclimated to where your cheek settles and the butt settles into the pocket. You'll find the Oryx will help you settle into a repeatable position.
    I did get a vertical grip and do like the feel of it more. Also just got the spacer kit. Unfortunately, the only thing I can do right now is try and get the right "fit" at the kitchen table as we just got dumped on with heavy snow, there's more on the way, and I head out for 6+ months in the next few ways. Regardless, thanks for the ideas as I'm feeling more hopeful.