Thread: Savage 110 Ultralight 6.5PRC

Savage 110 Ultralight 6.5PRC

Hi I'm a Newbie Here,

Just picked up a Savage 110 Ultralight in 6.5prc. Mounted a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 on top.
    I really bought the gun because of the weight and the proof research barrel. I already have a 6.5 prc in a Bergara B14 HMR Wilderness but it's a really heavy gun. I wanted something lighter for carrying all day when not hunting out of a blind.
    First thoughts when unboxing the rifle. Wow this stock is CHEAP. Feels like something I would expect on a $600 rifle not a $1500 rifle. FYI I own a savage 116 bear hunter in 338 win mag and that stock is way better than the ultralight.
    I also had trouble with starting the screws on the Picatinny scope rail it almost felt like I was cutting the threads as I was screwing them in. No I was not cross threading them and I confirmed they were 8 40 screws.
    Took the rifle to the range this morning. Shot 3 different factory ammo rounds with it.
    Hornady Precision Hunters.
    These shot about 1.5 MOA to my surprise because these shot very well out of my Bergara.

Hornady Outfitter CX shot about .5 MOA Really impressed with these. These wouldn't hold any kind of group with my Bergara. Also wanted to be able to use these on bigger game so that works out well.

Hornady ELD Match. These shot about .5 MOA as well. Really liked these too.

I also tried to shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips 140gr but they wouldn't chamber. I haven't measured them yet but my guess is they are a little long for the savage chamber. They fit fine in the Bergara.

Overall im happy with the performance. But really disappointed with the stock. If the stock was better im sure the groups would be a little tighter as well. Im shooting a front bipod and rear bag and there was just a lot of flex in that stock.

Just wanted to give my personal feedback with this rifle.

Banned
    Well, you could invest in an MDT HNT26 stock. If I was going for lightweight performance, that’s the Chassis I’d be using.
    https://mdttac.com/hnt26-chassis-system/

One Sharp looking thing to boot! I think.

Basic Member
    Looking to offload that accufit stock? Thats short action right?

Stocky's has at least 3 carbon fiber stocks for Savage rifles at < 1/2 the cost of that MDT Chassis. They have a hunter that is like 20.5 oz.

Then there is the Altitude
    https://pureprecision.com/product/sa...ltitude-stock/

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well, you could invest in an MDT HNT26 stock. If I was going for lightweight performance, that’s the Chassis I’d be using.
    https://mdttac.com/hnt26-chassis-system/

One Sharp looking thing to boot! I think.
    Savage must have been listening to you Dave.... just saw a Ultralite Elite offering from them with the MDT HNT26 stock-- and it can be had for the low price of only $3300.

I just bought the same rifle and have the same issue with the stock. I might try removing some material and rebed it with fiberglass. If that doesn't work out good I'll be buying an aftermarket stock.

Basic Member
    Many of us have had to work with the Savage flexible stocks. How you do it depends in part how light you want to keep it. Since you paid extra for the Ultralight..... :)

First, if the stock does not flex too much for you, then simply sanding out the barrel channel works nicely. Get a dowel about same size as the barrel and wrap some sandpaper around it. Take the barreled action out of the stock, marking where it is too close to the barrel. Then just use your home made tool to grind away until you have the clearance you want.

If the fore end flexes too much for you then it takes a bit more. I've never had to do this for my rifles so others can comment. The key of course would be to keep it light.

FYI, do not bed the barrel, just the action. The barrel should not touch the stock. If you do use some epoxy to stiffen the fore end, then use a decent epoxy resin and mix in microballons to keep it light. Don't want to add ounces to a rifle you spent a lot of money on to keep it light. :)

Banned
    Shoot it FIRST! ​At least so you have some kind of baseline.

Basic Member
    With my UL 7 PRC, I contacted Savage and told them that the gun shot poorly - about 1.25 noa with Hornady PHs. When I torqued the action screws they did not "lock down" or stop abruptly. It felt spongy. Upon close inspection, the thin steel pillars we not flush with the action channel, so there was a bit of poly compression occuring. They promptly sent me a new stock. That one shoots sub-moa.

Since I had a deficient spare, I got some Pete's Pillars, drilled out the factory pillars, contoured the pillars to match the receiver curvature, hogged out some crucial stock bedding spots, and epoxied it all in. Then I milled the bottoms down flush to fit the magframe and trigger guard. I mess that part up because the bottoms of the front and rear plastics are on different planes, so I had to put a splooge of epoxy bedding under the front mag hole bottom to avoid bending the plastic mag frame. I've run some factory ELD-Xs and Nosler ABLR handloads down it and it shoots quite well.

Upon action removal before cleaning and trimming:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000001520 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	10435

Error mitigation:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pro-5kGbB9Xl - Copy.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	10436