Thread: Why not 6.5 Grendel?

Basic Member

Why not 6.5 Grendel?

I have been on the look-out for a bolt action 6.5 Grendel for my petite wife for some time now, so she can join me in PRS.

It turns out that Howa and Ruger both offer them, but I have been holding off in hopes that Savage will come out with one. So far the wait is in vain.

Ruger is coming out with a 3 position safety Ruger American Generation II that is going to be offered in 6.5 Grendel, and I am tempted to buy one except I am hoping Savage would come out with an Impulse (or a 110 model).

Anybody with inside info at Savage knows if they are planning on ever offering a 6.5G?

Only 3 rd DBM, maybe someone makes a 5 or 10 rd.

Banned
    Go with 6mm ARC instead. It’s better in every way to the 6.5 Grendel. It’s faster, higher BC & SD, and the 108gr 6mm ELD bullet is simply ballistically superior to the 123gr 6.5mm ELD bullet.

Oh, and to answer your question… NO, Savage will likely not ever release a Grendel. And it’s because of the 6 ARC they won’t!

Basic Member
    And they already make a 6BR so....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Go with 6mm ARC instead. It’s better in every way to the 6.5 Grendel. It’s faster, higher BC & SD, and the 108gr 6mm ELD bullet is simply ballistically superior to the 123gr 6.5mm ELD bullet.

Oh, and to answer your question… NO, Savage will likely not ever release a Grendel. And it’s because of the 6 ARC they won’t!
    Yeah but ... 6.5 Grendel is more cost effective than the ARC ($.79 vs $1.20 as of 12/21/2023, Ammoseek). That's a 50% difference in price. And right now, there are also many more factory ammunition loads available for the Grendel, and I don't reload. (I am already invested in 6.5G ammo for my semi-auto).

Anyway it is a shame because Ruger offers both calibers:
    Ruger® Ruger American® Rifle Generation II Standard Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I guess Ruger American Gen II it is.

Banned
    Well, you can always just grab a used Savage & install an Aftermarket Barrel in 6.5 Grendel. Or, buy the new Savage in 6mmARC, rebarrel and turn around and sell the ARC barrel. Or, just buy one of these other rifles.

Basic Member
    That's going to a lot of trouble for someone who just wants a rifle to shoot relatively inexpensive ammo.

FWIW, if I were ever to get an AR it would probably be in 6.5G.

Basic Member
    Wall, you can always just grab a used Savage & install an Aftermarket Barrel in 6.5 Grendel. Or, buy the new Savage in 6mmARC, rebarrel and turn around and sell the ARC barrel. Or, just buy one of these other rifles.
    Dave, great call and I recently took this approach with my wife's Axis in .223. Ordered a 26" tube and bolt head from Gun Shack, an Oryx chassis from MDT (during their BF sale) and go/no-go gauges from Midway. Hopefully putting it all together later this week. About $600 invested into what should be a rig to maximize the 65g in a bolt platform.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfabuloso View Post
    Dave, great call and I recently took this approach with my wife's Axis in .223. Ordered a 26" tube and bolt head from Gun Shack, an Oryx chassis from MDT (during their BF sale) and go/no-go gauges from Midway. Hopefully putting it all together later this week. About $600 invested into what should be a rig to maximize the 65g in a bolt platform.
    Juan, what are you going to use for magazines?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
    Juan, what are you going to use for magazines?
    I'm bought the MDT ASIC pattern for 6ARC. I don't that anticipate any problem, but may have to fiddle with the feed lips a bit. I'll report back after I get it put together and tested.
    https://mdttac.com/6mm-arc-mdt-metal-magazine-12-rnd/

Basic Member
    I was also hoping Savage would come out with a 6.5 Grendel, but the cartridge has been out for several years now and no dice, the 6mm ARC seems like an interesting cartridge, anybody what kind of barrel life the 6mm gets?

Basic Member
    Probably really good barrel life. Not much powder capacity and not super high velocities.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Probably really good barrel life. Not much powder capacity and not super high velocities.
    The folks at Hornady say mid-2700fps with their factory load out of a 24" tube. Opinions on barrel life all agree around 3k+. 6ARC, like the 22ARC are optimized for gas guns. All based on the PPC bolt head.

Charlie, if you ever added a AR platform to your mix, you could use 65g, 6ARC and 22ARC by swapping uppers. It's intriguing to me as a 21st century switch barrel concept.

My build originated with an Axis just sitting in the safe, limited use by the wife and I had already built a couple of Grendel gas guns. Just another project to take to the range.

The Gay Tiger is one of the best ground floor up options.
    Competition and cheap are rarely a recipe for success.
    The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great starter option. Feeds acceptably, accurate enough for all but the most discerning shooter. Cheap.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfabuloso View Post
    I'm bought the MDT ASIC pattern for 6ARC. I don't that anticipate any problem, but may have to fiddle with the feed lips a bit. I'll report back after I get it put together and tested.
    https://mdttac.com/6mm-arc-mdt-metal-magazine-12-rnd/
    I was reading in thread that .308 mags may possibly feed the 6.5 Grendel:
    https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...l=1#post204666

I like 6.5 Grendel but decided to try a Savage 110 Tactical in 6arc. What a rifle! Mine has really good fit and finish. Bolt lift is reasonable. Savage blesses you with a steel MDT magazine that loads super easy. Feeding, extraction and ejection are excellent. Accuracy on mine is just under 1 moa with factory Hornady loads and 1/2 to 3/4 moa with hand loads. Blast and recoil are mild, as expected. It takes quite a few rounds to get the barrel hot.

I liked 6arc so much that I got a 28" 6arc Shilen barrel for a Zermatt Origin action I have. I have chronographed both rifles and the 18" Savage gives up only 150-ish FPS to the 28".

Basic Member
    The 6arc is a cartridge I have not had any experience with, I'm not sure if I want to get off into another cartridge to have to load for, I'm pretty vested in the 6.5GRR and 6.5CM, but time will tell!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert8904 View Post
    I like 6.5 Grendel but decided to try a Savage 110 Tactical in 6arc. What a rifle! Mine has really good fit and finish. Bolt lift is reasonable. Savage blesses you with a steel MDT magazine that loads super easy. Feeding, extraction and ejection are excellent. Accuracy on mine is just under 1 moa with factory Hornady loads and 1/2 to 3/4 moa with hand loads. Blast and recoil are mild, as expected. It takes quite a few rounds to get the barrel hot.

I liked 6arc so much that I got a 28" 6arc Shilen barrel for a Zermatt Origin action I have. I have chronographed both rifles and the 18" Savage gives up only 150-ish FPS to the 28".
    I have been debating a 6ARC barrel on my Model 11 for 2 years but keep getting talked out of it by the 6BR/6Dasher crowd. So I am still shooting a 223.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    I have been debating a 6ARC barrel on my Model 11 for 2 years but keep getting talked out of it by the 6BR/6Dasher crowd. So I am still shooting a 223.

It just depends what you want to do overall. If you’re looking for general shooting, the 6ARC is fine. But if you are looking to be serious in competition target shooting, the 6BR/DASHER is King of the Ring. And if serious about 6mm, you’ll likely end up going the BR route eventually. In that case, you’d be saving yourself money. But it’s you’re call obviously.

Basic Member
    It just depends what you want to do overall. If you’re looking for general shooting, the 6ARC is fine. But if you are looking to be serious in competition target shooting, the 6BR/DASHER is King of the Ring. And if serious about 6mm, you’ll likely end up going the BR route eventually. In that case, you’d be saving yourself money. But it’s you’re call obviously.
    No doubt and yes I am on the outside looking in. I do enjoy the competition and am nowhere near the level of some of our league shooters who are now shooting 6mm???. I view this as a step up from the 223 I am shooting now and able to do it within a reasonable investment. A Shilen prefit barrel from NSS is a modest cost, and tooling and components are readily available and I already have a good supply of ARC brass on hand. Also when taking into consideration that we are limited to a range of only 300yds I do not see a big disadvantage either.

Actually I was just talking with the league manager and this year one of our members is moving from a 6 Dasher to a 25X47 and this guy shoots competitively all year long.

Basic Member
    If limited in range then the ARC or PPC would both be reasonable. I got the BR because I wanted to shoot at 600 to 1000.

I suspect the ARC might replace the PPC in some circles. Same case parentage, just a little longer.

Team Savage
    I've wanted a 6.5 Grendel, but didn't want the Howa w/ proprietary mags or the Ruger w/ AR mags. So I rebarreled a 6ARC with a 20" SHAW, it shoots phenomenal. Put it in XLR Chassis, so it takes MDT 6ARC mags.

Banned
    Well, that’s 2 people doing what I recommended with a rebarrel. Guess it not as much trouble as some thought.