Thread: Brand new Axis II scope package - bolt rubbing scope

Thumbs Down Brand new Axis II scope package - bolt rubbing scope

Hey yall. Bought a new Axis II XP with Boyds hardwood laminated stock and a Bushnell Banner scope mounted and bore sighted.

Got it home and realized the bolt rubs against the scope housing when cycling... Really don't want higher rings because my cheek weld is already so-so with the boyds stock.

Found a similar post online and the guy filed his bolt handle down to create clearance, so I did the same. It worked but I had to take off 1/8 of metal and still only have about 0.02" of clearance.

I can't be the only one dealing with this. This is a common rifle. Has anyone else dealt with this? The bolt has a bit of slop when extended but nothing I'd think is too extreme.

Appreciate your input guys

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/di4Sbj8

Banned
    I wouldn’t grind the bolt handle, but your call. You may fair better going with one of these below. Otherwise I would raise the scope & use a cheek riser, or move it forward & adjust your position. (Only appears to be around 1/4”.)

https://gladesarmory.com/product/sav...ack-oversized/

https://gladesarmory.com/product/sav...ack-oversized/

Thanks Dave for responding! Can i ask why you wouldn't file the bolt? Unfortunately the deed is done already... I read online of guys on other rifles "scalloping" their bolts to make them clear scopes. I actually was able to sand and paint it to make it look factory. I figured if the aftermarket bolts are just as thin if not thinner, then no problem with mine being that way too.

I actually already ordered a Glades bolt handle! Waiting for it to come in but wanted to attempt this if I can keep it stock.

Unfortunately couldnt move the scope forward enough to make it clear the bolt. I know I could get higher rings but I hate having to my my head float and I just don't like cheek risers. Never needed them on other rifles so hoping this fix works

Just a shame a brand new package from Savage doesn't even work correctly out of the box... You'd think they'd include a small diameter scope, or higher rings and a scope with a build in higher comb or something

Basic Member
    Mine clears by just under 1/8". I am using a Vortex Diamondback (4-16x42) with the factory rings. Boyd's Pro Varmint stock.

I don't see a Boyd's option from Savage. May have been a special run for a big chain.

Wow, and I just checked and the Diamondback has larger ocular bell too!

Can I ask how much slop you have in your bolt? If I pull mine back completely straight, I have well over 1/8" clearance. However, my bolt moves ever so slightly side to side in the grooves of the rifle, which allows the bolt to shimmy back and forth, and of course the angle increases the more you pull back as it pivots inside the rifle.

When I rack the bolt, I tend to be pushing toward the left, which pushes the bolt into the scope.

Edit: forgot to add, Savage sources all of their wooden stocks from Boyds now

Here's a video of the bolt slop. Ignore the pajamas please

And remember, this is after I filed off about 1/8" off the bolt!

https://imgur.com/a/qjwWYsW

Banned
    Yup… completely normal. (Oh, and I think your pajamas are just.. just lovely!) The play is normal. Only way to get rid of it is getting a new Bolt Sleeve from PTG (110’s) Some say the Glades Sleeves tighten it up a bit. Eh. So the handle isn’t actually hitting the scope. It’s just in your movement pushing it into the scope. Unfortunately, you need to train muscle memory in bringing the bolt straight back.

Basic Member
    About the same amount of slop as yours. I shoot from bench so the force is usually pushing down and forward. Same with extracting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrashid2 View Post
    Thanks Dave for responding! Can i ask why you wouldn't file the bolt? Unfortunately the deed is done already... I read online of guys on other rifles "scalloping" their bolts to make them clear scopes. I actually was able to sand and paint it to make it look factory. I figured if the aftermarket bolts are just as thin if not thinner, then no problem with mine being that way too.

I actually already ordered a Glades bolt handle! Waiting for it to come in but wanted to attempt this if I can keep it stock.

Unfortunately couldnt move the scope forward enough to make it clear the bolt. I know I could get higher rings but I hate having to my my head float and I just don't like cheek risers. Never needed them on other rifles so hoping this fix works

Just a shame a brand new package from Savage doesn't even work correctly out of the box... You'd think they'd include a small diameter scope, or higher rings and a scope with a build in higher comb or something
    I wouldn’t grind for reason of aesthetics, that’s all. I would only grind an external part for fitment if I had no recourse. But obviously it would do no harm.

I actually think you will be quite pleased with the Glades bolt handle. I always was! And I now I have a Lumley Ti handle which I am even more fond of!(only made for the 110) To me, an aftermarket bolt handle is a must. They not only feel better, are more comfortable, but they naturally give a mechanical advantage in bolt lift effort. And quite honestly, they are pleasing to the eye. I believe they provide both a nice performance & psychological boost, inexpensively.

Basic Member
    While I appreciate the leverage advantage of a longer bolt, I don't like the long 'tactical' ones. But, I also like wood stocks where an oversize handle looks 'oversize'. The Axis is a bit too short, but the factory one on my Model 12 is just right.

I ran into the same problem with a vortex crossfire II 3X9X50. I looked at and studied on it and tried different height rings but I like the way the scope sat with Burris medium height zee rings.

Only option I saw was removing material from the hold handle. Dressed her up, good polishing and cold bluing and it looks good and functions now.

Just my 2 cents

same issue with Vortex crossfire II 4-12x44, in vortex pro low rings it rubs, AXIS II 30-06, the medium rings add about 1/4" of height to scope center so... will see if this remedies the rub.... if not I believe I'll be shaping mine bold handle as well.

Same issue with my CVlife 4-16x44. Rubs just slightly. After maybe 20 rounds through the gun, there is a little shiny line in my scope.

I like the idea of scalloping the bolt handle just a tiny bit. I just need to pick up some bluing first.

Thanks for posting. I hadn't thought about scalloping.