Thread: HELP!! Muzzle Brake

Basic Member

HELP!! Muzzle Brake

I have a Savage 110 Switchback in 6mmARC and I want to remove the muzzle brake; it almost seems to be welded on and I can't budge it one bit. Should I try heating the brake incase it was put on with locktite?

Banned
    Yes, there are many reports of them being on incredibly tight. Heating may help. What method are you using to attempt removal? How are you securing the barrel? A barrel vice would provide optimum holding. Held close to the joint between barrel and Brake. Then either a clamp wrench or a thin enough rod like a screwdriver, to go through the holes in the brake, (again, closest to the Barrel/Brake joint) and use it to loosen the Brake.

Basic Member
    Actually a large Allen Wrench fits in the Brake but I can't budge it at all. I'm going to try to lock the barrel in a bench vise, close to the Brake and well padded and give that a try. That way the only torque force will be at the muzzle end of the barrel.

Banned
    I would recommend getting a set of these. They will provide a tremendous amount of holding power over just flat vice jaws. https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Barr...s%2C110&sr=8-8

And if a large Allen wrench works, good. But remember, leverage is your friend! “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” -Archimedes
    Use a pipe or something longer on the end of the Allen. One thing I do to extend Allens for leverage, use the appropriate size socket of the Allen and a long extension if you have ‘em. But, obviously anything will work.

Basic Member
    Soak it liberally in penetrating oil too along with the above recommendations. PB Blaster works wonders.