Thread: 110 Storm scope mount question

Team Savage

110 Storm scope mount question

Hello neighbors,

I recently bought a 110 Storm for my grandson. It his first deer rifle. He chose the Storm because he wanted a left-handed stainless rifle in 30-06.

Can you guys please recommend a scope mount system? The fact that it is a left handed rifle is causing me some hesitation. I see that Dead Nutz offers a left handed mount. Are the other styles of mounts sensitive to right or left hand?

Any help you guys give will be greatly appreciated as usual.

Thanks,

A proud grandpa

Banned
    Why not just go with 2-piece Picatinny mounts & rings? Something like these Talley mounts: https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/...icatinny-rail/ and one of countless number of 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum rings. The options are endless really.

Basic Member
    Have not seen left/right hand scope mounts for a bolt gun (except for side mounts on surplus guns).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Have not seen left/right hand scope mounts for a bolt gun (except for side mounts on surplus guns).
    Charlie, I believe the OP was referring to one of these below. The DNZ mount. It’s a little misleading because they list it for Left or Right hand Actions. In reality all that is done is the mount is flipped around so the opening is facing left or right port side. But the truth is all scopes mounts & rails fit either Left or Right Actions. But only the DNZ mount is equipped with the cutout section to facilitate getting to the cartridges easier. As I recommended, I think a 2-piece Picatinny rail system works better for hunting because of this very much thing.

Team Savage
    You guys are right, I was overthinking this. Originally I was looking at a rail of some kind but for now I will get the two piece mount.

If he wants to change it later he can.

Thanks again.

Basic Member
    OK that makes a little more sense now. I've never had a problem with rails and access to the magazine. That's what box mags are for :)

Banned
    Indeed! I love my AICS Mags. And I would prefer a port style Savage Action. But then, I no longer hunt and have little need clearing any malfunction on the range in any hurry.

Team Savage
    DNZ 1 piece mounts are an excellent option, I highly recommend one. For your grandson's 110 Storm 30-06 you definitely need to order the "offset" option which will move the rings closer together. Long action Savages have a huge spacing between the front and rear of the receiver and many scopes do not have enough tube length to fit otherwise.

As mentioned, the distance between base locations on a 110 long action is far. Today’s shorter scope tubes add to the challenge. The newer length of pull adjustable stocks do help.

A rail can help in this respect, but as Dave mentioned a two piece base may be more ideal. Warne and some others offer extended two piece bases. This in combination with a LOP adjustment of the stock may be enough. I have one piece bases on some of my hunting rifles. They sometimes tend to be a little higher than two piece bases and can make accessing the action a little harder, but they are sometimes the best option. Your grandson is very lucky to receive such a nice rifle.

Yes there are left and right handed scope bases.
    I have a couple of older Leupold one piece standard base and ring setups that have a cutout over the ejection port on opposite sides for either left and right handed rifles. I have a couple that have been on lefty weather warriors for decades that have been rock solid.
    That said I prefer 2 piece dual dovetail setups for the added clearance when I can find them.

https://www.leupold.com/std-savage-110-lh-1-pc-gloss
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I am with Dave, Two piece mounts are ideal for left hand and right hand hunting guns. They give plenty of room to load or unload.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I also agree on a two piece base for a hunting rifle.
    My go to is Warne steel 2pc bases and Burris Signature Z rings on a hunting rifle. Especially if it’s one with a blind mag.