Thread: Scope base recoil lug

Scope base recoil lug

So I've seen this topic has been brought up a few times before. Not trying to beat a dead horse but I have a question I haven't seen come up yet. I have a scope base from MDT for a short action Savage. It has no recoil lug and after questioning they've replied there's too many variations in the geometry of the short action models that they don't include the feature to ensure a more universal fitting.

My question is, instead of pinning or permanently bedding, why not add a recoil lug. Is it a reasonable idea to use the JB weld and shoe polish method to epoxy a permanent "lug" on the underside of the rail that sits flush against breech face of the action? In other words put a lug where one ought to be. For clarity, I would use the polish on the action so the lug is fixed to the rail only and the rail can be removed

Based on the typical concern; 308 and wanting a scope that's about twice as heavy as the one I currently have and untrusting of the 6-48 screws. Logically I know its the clamping force from the surface of the rail and action that secures the mount. So screw size is less relevant than blue loctite and proper torque. Just thought I might be on to a lazy mans solution. Or there's a reason this is not done and I'm about to find out. Thanks for any input.

Basic Member
    Ken Farrel once made a scope base with a lug, that was just a set screw that would bear against the action port opening. Don't think he sold many. The fact is unless you have an unruly ultra mag, the fear of shearing scope base screws are nill. I would open the 6-48 up to 8-40 and make sure the counter sink angle on the screws match the counter sink angle in the holes. Once the screws and holes mate up good, there is no need for loctite.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    I agree. However, I wouldn’t even worry on the 6-48 screws unless & until there was a problem with them stripping. They’ve been used for far too long and shown time again they don’t move under anything except the heavier magnums. And possibly in use of some of the heavier savage. There are scopes now up to & even over 40oz! A 2.5LB+ scope cause quite a bit of momentum to be generated under recoil.

Remember 6-48 screws have been used for many decades with the likes of some stout recoil. Ever fired a 30-06 with 220gr loads. It’s quite ornery. Both of my Savages in 30-06, a 111 & 116 fired many of those. Both had 6-48 screws and never a single one failed. On 308 it will never be a problem. I currently have 6-48 screws with my 260AI, and I’m capable of easily reaming/tapping for 8-40’s anytime. I haven’t because I trust the 6-48. If they ever show signescof stripping out, I’ll immediately go to 8-40’s. Until then, I’m just not worried. All that said, if you wish to add your idea for your own piece of mind, I see no harm in doing. Go for it.