Thread: Model 12 Problems

Basic Member

Model 12 Problems

I just received my "repaired" Model 12 back from Savage yesterday afternoon. It was returned to them because there was a burr in the chamber that actually damaged my 6mm BR brass. It also had a trigger that would not adjust properly.

Their "fix" was to polish the chamber and to replace "small parts". The rifle will chamber a round now without apparent damage to the brass. However, the trigger locks up and will not allow the rifle to fire unless I press forward on the back of the trigger as I close the bolt. It does this no matter how slowly or gently I close the bolt.

This is a brand new rifle and I haven't been able to fire it yet. Very frustrating!! Any ideas how I can fix this thing?

Adjust the accutrigger a 1/4 turn at a time and see if it works. Might only need a 1/4 turn.
    If you turn some of them all the way down they can get finicky.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the idea. I did try that, but I'll turn it a bit more and see if I can get it to work.

Basic Member
    Shilen barrel in a calliber that fit your bolt face and a rifle basics trigger = tack driver.

Basic Member
    I turned the adjuster another 3/4 turn and it seems to be working. Thanks again for the tip Pdog06! I'm surprised that Savage sent it back like that, but at least it seems to be ready for the range at last!

I have had several Shilen's on my .22 bench rest rifles and they can be very good. I haven't tried a Rifle Basics trigger, but both may be in the future for this rifle.

Banned
    Another item which can cause this is a weak or collapsed Sear spring. Adding more preload to the spring can alleviate the problem.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info Dave. I'll be aware of that in the future.

Basic Member
    I was actually able to fire my new Model 12 for the first time this afternoon. The trigger functioned acceptably, but it did lock up once. Recocking the bolt resolved the issue.

However, the chamber is not fixed. The brass seems to fire form into the chamber imperfections and is very difficult to extract. The bolt handle lifts easily enough, but the bolt will not move to the rear without excessive effort. I've never had a rifle like this! Needless to say, I'm very frustrated with my brand new Savage rifle. I plan to be back on the phone with Savage customer service in the morning.

I have to ask. Is it new unfired brass or are you using brass previously shot out of another chamber?

If so how many firing on that brass. They could need sized with a small base die.

Will the newly fired pc of empty brass chamber in the rifle? Or does it stop just short of the bolt dropping?

The Acutrigger will do that if the safety blade is not completely depressed prior to the trigger moving. One should be aware that is the way it is designed. Regardless of how long or how many non Accutriger rifles you own, this will continue to plague your experience until you, the shooter modifies the trigger pull to not trip the trigger until the safety blade is depressed enough to allow the trigger sear to pass by.... allowing the firing pin to to strike the primer. No dent in the primer means the trigger is too light or the operator is in error. Good luck
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The rounds I shot today were brand new Lapua 6mm Norma Br ammo. I can chamber a loaded round with little or no obvious damage to the brass, but it is obviously engraved after firing. I am an experienced shooter and I can live with the trigger for now. The chamber and barrel are my major concerns.

Basic Member
    I have to admit I have the trigger set too light on my model 12 (varmint trigger). It will sometimes trip when the bolt is closed. It doesn't bother me so I haven't made the time to adjust it.

The chamber issue would bug me as well, especially a new rifle with that level of factory ammo.

FWIW, my Shilen barrel in 6BR has a 'tight' chamber and extracts easily, even with some over pressure loads.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info Charlie. My Model 12 is on its way back to Savage now. I think they will replace the barrel after our discussions today. Hopefully, this one will be better than the original. I shoot with the owner of Shilen from time to time. One of their barrels may be in the future of this rifle.

Basic Member
    Hope Savage comes through for you. I'll probably be buying another Shilen this year as well. Just not decided on cartridge.

Basic Member
    Thanks Charlie. The Technical Support Supervisor at Savage agreed to replace the barrel and follow my rifle through the process. I hope this barrel will be usable.