Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you chose as a Long Range/Target cartridge in a short action Savage and why?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark611 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I do not hunt much anymore, just punch paper. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor build in the works, on a M12 action, I just thought before I put it all together that I would ask this question, but has been mentioned availability of factory ammo or ammo that might be easier to come across in a pinch is something to also keep in mind, 6.5 Creedmoor has gotten just as popular or available as 308win or 3006, the 308win is about the heaviest recoiling cartridge I care to shoot anymore, so with that said, Dave I think your right

For enthusiasts who simply shoot for the joy of it, I just think mid range cartridges like the 6.5 are ideal. Buy l’ll tell you this: 7 years ago I built my model 10 and went with 260 Remington. At that time, 6.5cm was still gaining its popularity. I went with 260 for several reasons, including brass availability then. Fast forward to this past year I just replaced the barrel. Instead of switching to 6.5cm, I stayed with 260 however, I went Ackley Improved. I can still shoot standard 260 Rem, and I actually prefer that as method of forming brass. As opposed to fire forming cases via Pistol Powder/cream of wheat, or other method lacking a bullet.

This setup will get me out to a mile, and I’ll never go past that, nor have any desire.

Basic Member
    How well did it shoot at a mile?

Banned
    I haven’t been anywhere near a mile since I left Arizona. That was 2008. I’m basing this from past shooting. My last Savage was a 116 Weather Warrior in
    30-06. That was my hunting rifle in Arizona. I certainly would shoot it at those distances. And also based on what others are doing.

I hope to get to 1000 and beyond-beyond again.

Basic Member
    You would hunt with a .30-06 at 1 mile?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You would hunt with a .30-06 at 1 mile?

NO., no… of course not. If you look at my past posting you’ll find I couldn’t be more against that notion!

I was was referring to simply target shooting we would do. My hunting rifle at the time(Savage 111..Always been a Savage!), was my most accurate. I wasn’t so big in Benchrest target, ir long range shooting back then. My good friend & I on times we’d be out camping in the desert and there wasn’t much for Varmint hunting going on, we’d pick a target car off across this r that canyon. A Rock, or a Cactus… whatever.

One other thing, as I’ve said on many a time: shooting out to a Mile is no joke! Even for experienced shooters. I know there are those talking about how easy it is, but anyone can easily go look at video after video of very competent marksmen shooting at a true 1-mile or further. There shots are all over the place! Hit, Miss, Miss, Miss, Miss, Hit, Hit, Miss, Miss, Miss, Hit, Miss… etc! Very rarely will you see someone be able to do three consecutive hits on 36” Target… which is 2MOA, let alone close to 1MOA (just over 18”). It is seriously difficult! When I’m speaking of a cartridge effectively being able to engage a target at 1-Mile, I’m simply referring to the ballistics. Certainly not my ability.

Basic Member
    I understand, which is why I made the comment. Numbers are fine and dandy, but, actual field shooting is anything but. And SHTF type stuff should only be considered at reasonable ranges for a cartridge. Terminal ballistics need to be above a certain level (and we can debate that as I am a fan of momentum measurements, not energy).

I've only shot beyond a mile a long time ago (2000yd), and I was cheating. .50 cal mounted on a tank with sights. Even with that I could only manage to get the shots on the cab area of a 2 1/2T truck (4ft dia target).

So...considering a rifle and cartridge for beyond 1000yd is mainly an exercise in target shooting.

BUT....there are a certain (very) few individuals who could consider such long range shots. Most of them these days are using .338Lapua or .50BMG cartridges in some 'hefty' rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I went with 260 for several reasons, including brass availability then. Fast forward to this past year I just replaced the barrel. Instead of switching to 6.5cm, I stayed with 260 however, I went Ackley Improved. I can still shoot standard 260 Rem, and I actually prefer that as method of forming brass. As opposed to fire forming cases via Pistol Powder/cream of wheat, or other method lacking a bullet.

This setup will get me out to a mile, and I’ll never go past that, nor have any desire.
    Good on you. I came into the .260 Rem by accident. Our region opened up for rifles as implements for large game (whitetail deer/bear) for the first time in living memory and I, like thousands of other hunters, went rifle shopping. I guess I was late. My favorite shop had limited availability. I wanted a 7mm-08. Nope, none. .308 Win? Nope. .280 Rem? Nope. Ummmm . .. .270 Win? Nope. Then the counter jockey said he wanted to check on something. He brought out a dusty old Savage M11 box chambered in .260 Rem and said he could give me a great deal on it. I had to go over to the reloading area and check a few manuals. Yeah. This will do. But they had NO loaded ammunition. So I used that to get tossed in 100 cases and the reloading manual (I had nothing that recent to show the .260). I have come to love it. Totally fine for whitetail, a pleasure to shoot, accurate and something different (I reload and like the .308 based case). Swift 130 gr Scirocco II is a perfect match for my needs. But, if I didn't reload I would be in a bad position. Good news is that all the recent 6.5mm intrest has produced Winchester StaBall6.5 powder . . . which my .260 Rem loves.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

6.5/.284. They win a lot of 1000 yard matches. Another is a .300 WSM. Same reason.

For just optimal paper punching a long way off (1,000 yards +/-) I would likely go with the 6mm Dasher. But I'm not a target shooter and defer to those wiser . . . vegitarians. ;-)
    Me too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12