Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you chose as a Long Range/Target cartridge in a short action Savage and why?

Basic Member

What would you chose as a Long Range/Target cartridge in a short action Savage and why?

Just kicking this around, I have a 110SA in 6.5CM, if you were to pick another cartridge over this what would you chose any why? Lets keep in mind that reloading components are getting stupid! like powder! I just want to hear what you guy's think?

Basic Member
    What does long range mean to you? Competition or just plinking?

Keep in mind the CM is a pretty decent round to start with. Anything else is usually for something specific.

I picked a 6BR for 600 and 1000yd informal shooting.

Basic Member
    I want to be able to shoot out 1k and a bit further if needed, this will also be a SHTF caliber, so I think that a barrel burner is not on the list! I've thought about a 7mm08, I have a 308win already, but just want your thoughts!

Banned
    Any of those three you have will do what you ask just fine. Anything else is either doing 1000yds in a cartridge like 6BR to save powder, I’d go with something more powerful for easier extended ranges.

Basic Member
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...22in/p/1653420

Since you specified Savage I would do this. I have the bolt head already to convert a Savage to this caliber and already have a rifle that is intended for this. The Arc is slowly proving itself in both Semiauto and bolt guns and Factory ammo is also showing promise as well. No it is not a BR or Dasher but it is not far behind either.

I would stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor and work on my skills as a trigger monkey. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    I'd consider the .308 minimal for beyond 1000yd (I do like mine). I am not sure the 7-08 would be that much better. I got the 6BR because of recoil. Didn't care for the kick from the heavier .308 bullets, but, I don't care about terminal ballistics either.

What about a .30-06. Gives that bit extra for heavier bullets with better BC but not as 'harsh' as the .300WM.

But, I'd probably lead toward something like the .284 (again, less recoil and better BC). If you want sniper type terminal performance then you'd want heavier bullets and higher speeds at range. The .284 is kinda middle ground between the 7-08 and 7RM. And then there is the 6.5-284.

As someone kindly reminded me, a barrel is a disposable item. If serious about it, buy two or three so you have back ups. :) Even a .308 gets worn out.

There are only a few cartridges that are 1000 yard rifles and shtf weapons.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark611 View Post
    Just kicking this around, I have a 110SA in 6.5CM, if you were to pick another cartridge over this what would you chose any why? Let’s keep in mind that reloading components are getting stupid! like powder! I just want to hear what you guy's think?
    6br will definitely shoot small groups at 1000 yards with 30 gr of Varget and a 103 -105 gr bthp, Creedmoor is good just not as good.
    sorry if that ruffles feathers but it’s a fact.

Basic Member
    I figured a 6mm 6.5mm would be in the running for what I'm thinking, I have a few ARs chambered in 6.5 Grendel that shoot very well,

Single feed or magazine ?? I shoot the 284 Winchester and it's variants (my wild cats). It's hard to
    beat in the long game. If interested in a 6mm, just neck that Creedboring down to 6mm and wake it
    up.....As for component costs ?? You could split the middle and look at a 6GT.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    The 'kicker' in this is the SHTF comment for long range. That implies terminal ballistics a bit higher than needed for paper punching. Which is why I'd consider 7mm a minimum. Heck, the military went to the .338LM for a reason, long range terminal ballistics.

If it is just informal long range stuff then any of the above will work fine.

Banned
    I figured a 6mm 6.5mm would be in the running for what I'm thinking, I have a few ARs chambered in 6.5 Grendel that shoot very well,
    Again, I think you already have a cartridge up to the task. 1000yds is nothing for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Go look at videos of guys pushing the Creedmoor to a Mile and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Again, I think you already have a cartridge up to the task. 1000yds is nothing for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Go look at videos of guys pushing the Creedmoor to a Mile and beyond.
    I agree.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Do you just want a new gun?????? How about a 6X47L, 6.5x47L or really go to the wild side with a 7x47L or 22X47L Then there is the 6BR family.... some of them I've never heard of. Better yet, set your 243 back and name it after yourself! My fertile mind is really working today. St. Sandra says I am just full of s@!t.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    6br will definitely shoot small groups at 1000 yards with 30 gr of Varget and a 103 -105 gr bthp, Creedmoor is good just not as good.
    sorry if that ruffles feathers but it’s a fact.
    No feathers ruffled.... shoot both. Curious what you are basing this on to state it's a "fact"? Because facts are provable/repeatable.... not well this guy shot a better group with this cartridge than other guys with this one so its better.... That's called an internet fact.

.284 win would be my choice for the job you laid out. Not that fodder is as common as some others to find.

SHTF
    .308 or .30-06 may be the easiest to find.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Team Savage
    Just kicking this around, I have a 110SA in 6.5CM, if you were to pick another cartridge over this what would you chose any why? Lets keep in mind that reloading components are getting stupid! like powder! I just want to hear what you guy's think?
    I saw SHTF but what are you going to do with it otherwise?
    Hunt, target?
    Is 1000 yards just plinking or serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    No feathers ruffled.... shoot both. Curious what you are basing this on to state it's a "fact"? Because facts are provable/repeatable.... not well this guy shot a better group with this cartridge than other guys with this one so its better.... That's called an internet fact.
    Well, anyone can look at the equipment list for most IBS sanctioned events where 6mm are dominate. I shoot long range Benchrest, I started with a 6 br and now shoot the 6BRA, once in a while someone will shoot a 6.5 Lapua and of course the heavy guns are mainly 300 mag of some variant but oddly we don’t see a Creedmoor on our line. We all share pit duty therefore we all get to see the targets being shot. I did have a buddy that shot a CM at 600, it shot very well just not as well as the 6 mm.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    Well, anyone can look at the equipment list for most IBS sanctioned events where 6mm are dominate. I shoot long range Benchrest, I started with a 6 br and now shoot the 6BRA, once in a while someone will shoot a 6.5 Lapua and of course the heavy guns are mainly 300 mag of some variant but oddly we don’t see a Creedmoor on our line. We all share pit duty therefore we all get to see the targets being shot. I did have a buddy that shot a CM at 600, it shot very well just not as well as the 6 mm.
    That may very well be the case.... but a popularity contest does not equal it being a fact. Change the rules of the game and you would probably be looking at a completely different outcome. Take away sighters/ change the time format/ shoot in poor conditions and it would probably change who the new hot girl is. But when you play a specific game you are going to adapt to what works best for those rules. I look at it kind of like dirtbikes..... everyone makes a 250cc and a 450cc-- even though there's nothing magical about those sizes-- but people decided the classes and that determined the outcome. I shoot 6br to 1000- as well as 6.5 cm (not a creedmoor fan boy- actually was in the 260 rem camp- until I found an amazing deal on a 6.5) but for 1000 yard shooting I wouldn't say either is proven better.

That may very well be the case.... but a popularity contest does not equal it being a fact. Change the rules of the game and you would probably be looking at a completely different outcome. Take away sighters/ change the time format/ shoot in poor conditions and it would probably change who the new hot girl is. But when you play a specific game you are going to adapt to what works best for those rules. I look at it kind of like dirtbikes..... everyone makes a 250cc and a 450cc-- even though there's nothing magical about those sizes-- but people decided the classes and that determined the outcome. I shoot 6br to 1000- as well as 6.5 cm (not a creedmoor fan boy- actually was in the 260 rem camp- until I found an amazing deal on a 6.5) but for 1000 yard shooting I wouldn't say either is proven better.
    my 2cts... groups don't matter for S.H.F. terminal velocity wins
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

staying with the context of the thread, long range target shooting the 6 mm dominates , If you shoot LRBR then you already know this.
    Here the equipment list from the 2022 600 nationals. The 1000 yard is available as well , for anyone interested.

https://internationalbenchrest.com/a...0Nationals.pdf

https://internationalbenchrest.com/a...0Nationals.pdf

For just optimal paper punching a long way off (1,000 yards +/-) I would likely go with the 6mm Dasher. But I'm not a target shooter and defer to those wiser . . . vegitarians. ;-)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys, I do not hunt much anymore, just punch paper. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor build in the works, on a M12 action, I just thought before I put it all together that I would ask this question, but has been mentioned availability of factory ammo or ammo that might be easier to come across in a pinch is something to also keep in mind, 6.5 Creedmoor has gotten just as popular or available as 308win or 3006, the 308win is about the heaviest recoiling cartridge I care to shoot anymore, so with that said, Dave I think your right

Basic Member
    Having a number of 7mm-08 and 6.5 creedmoor, i don't think there is enough difference to warrant a change from what you already ordered. The creedmoor may not be excellent at doing any one thing, but it does pretty well at a lot of things. Due to it's popularity it would be a lot better SHF round than a 7mm-08, 6 BR, or some of the more obscure rounds just because the popularity makes brass easier to find. Granted if you had the need, you can always make your own brass from other cartridges, but who would do that in a time of scarce resources? If it was me and i already had a 308, and had to pick something other than a 6.5 Creedmoor i would probably go with a .243 or 6mm Creedmoor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast