Thread: Angled Ejector for better feeding

Angled Ejector for better feeding

Have the new 110’s (like 2022/2023), especially the 6.5 Creedmoors, been coming with the angled ejector?

I realize they can be filed, milled, etc. to have an angle so the cartridge doesn’t jam, however I have seen several years back that some rifles did come with an angled ejector (some - not all). Then after those, the rifles I bought in the 2020-through-2021 timeframe did NOT have an angled ejector. Rather, just a slight bevel that went the entire circumference of the top of the ejector.

Thanks!
    Last edited by 111FHNS; 12-14-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Info added

Banned
    The bevel on the Ejector was found & shared by & for Savage enthusiasts.. Savage Arms just finally caught on. It’s a problem which has existed in cartridges with less taper for many decades, but because of the widespread success of the 6.5CM, the problem with jamming became widespread. I don’t know who first figured it out, (probably Fred, but who knows), I believe it’s been called Shaved Ejector. And many in the now have shared the beveled Ejector mod with everyone who experiences the problem. It’s mentioned in this thread. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...or-and-ejector
    At least Savage finally took note.

My model 10 was made in 2008 and the Factory Ejector it came with has the full circumference bevel. But it’s very shallow, not the same as the the modification.
    Here is the modification itself.

Thanks, Dave. What’s odd is that they did catch on in their production, but then stopped. In other words, the 6.5CM’s I bought around 2020/21, did NOT have the shaved/angled ejector.

I was hoping that perhaps they may have started putting the angled/shaved back in 6.5CM within the past year or so. I figured it couldn’t hurt ask on here if anyone bought a 6.5CM that was produced within the last year.
    Last edited by 111FHNS; 12-14-2023 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Grammar

Basic Member
    The angled ejectors didn't come about till Savage started using the chassis system with the AI magazines. For some reason those magazines tended to jam with the 6.5 Creedmoor more than any other caliber. At first the angled ejectors only came on the Creedmoors in a chassis, but after that they put them in all Creedmoors no matter what the stock or feeding system. If you are using a factory magazine the angled ejector offers no advantage.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage

My 12FV 6.5CM purchased in 2017 (?) had a sharp beveled ejector.

Thanks to everyone that replied. This forum has such great members.

To further muddy the waters:

- I’ve seen the angled ejector on a .308win on a new hunting model around 2018. It seemed almost random on what they appeared on at the time.

- Regarding the comment that it won’t make a difference if you are using factory magazines, my understanding was that it actually would help with 6.5CM. In other words, generally the older cartridges with LESS steep shoulders, like a 308, fed well enough with the standard, small, full circumference bevel (the one Dave showed) in my experience. However, the Axis and 110 Hunter in 6.5 CM that I purchased in 2020/2021 had the same jamming issue with the standard ejector. Meanwhile, I recall people saying the shaved/bevel worked for hunting models.
    Last edited by 111FHNS; 12-14-2023 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Grammar

Basic Member
    Just curious.

What was the problem, feeding, extraction or ejection? Does the rim somehow get up against the ejector before the rim slips over the extractor?

The problem with both rifles was feeding, which is very common with the sharp shouldered 6.5CM in Savages. Dave did a great job explaining in his post. Here is also a link further explaining Fred’s fix.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...nd-axis-family

Banned
    Yes, that link has a picture showing the problem. The case head jumps the bolt head & jambs. The larger beveled Ejector centers the case better so the bolt head can pick it up correctly.

This picture.

Basic Member
    Got it now. Thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 111FHNS View Post
    Thanks to everyone that replied. This forum has such great members.

To further muddy the waters:

- I’ve seen the angled ejector on a .308win on a new hunting model around 2018. It seemed almost random on what they appeared on at the time.

- Regarding the comment that it won’t make a difference if you are using factory magazines, my understanding was that it actually would help with 6.5CM. In other words, generally the older cartridges with LESS steep shoulders, like a 308, fed well enough with the standard, small, full circumference bevel (the one Dave showed) in my experience. However, the Axis and 110 Hunter in 6.5 CM that I purchased in 2020/2021 had the same jamming issue with the standard ejector. Meanwhile, I recall people saying the shaved/bevel worked for hunting models.
    The Ejector I showed is the f the modified steep Bevel. Here is the Factory Ejector with full circumference shallow bevel.

[QUOTE=Dave Hoback;519477]The Ejector I showed is the f the modified steep Bevel. Here is the Factory Ejector with full circumference shallow bevel.

Yes - sorry, Dave. I looked at your original picture too quickly. I agree that the original picture you showed is of a modified steep bevel.
    [/QUOTE

Banned
    Oh yeah… Figured you did. I just wanted to clarify for anyone reading, not in the know.

Going back to a control round feed would fix this. They just need to fix the ejector design they used
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.