Thread: Savage Target Action / Accu Trigger Precision Rifle

Savage Target Action / Accu Trigger Precision Rifle

Hello all,

Have this nice precision rifle based on a Savage Target Action taking up a lot of room in the back of my safe for a number of years now. Given the abundance of Savage related expertise on this forum, I was hoping to get some expert opinions on a number of topics.

Looking to get a sense of what its worth, approximately (fair asking price) and maybe gauge whether there would be any interest for this type of build.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eaS...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cdl...ew?usp=sharing

Barrel:
    Criterion 28” Bull contoured barrel in .204 Ruger

Action:
    Savage Target Action Stainless Steel Single-shot Target AccuTrigger
    223 Bolt Head
    Right-bolt, left-port
    SKU: 18183

Stock:
    Choate Ultimate Varmint Rifle Stock Savage 10 Series Short Action Staggered Feed with 4.275" Screw Spacing Blind Magazine 1.25" Barrel Channel

Optics:
    Sightron SIII Long range Tactical scope
    30mm tube, 10-50x, Object 60mm, Side focus, 30mm tube.

Base:
    BENCH SOURCE SAVAGE Scope base, type “Davidson” dovetail

Rings:
    Kelbly Precision Scope Rings, 30mm, tall.

Any and all input would be much appreciated!

Team Savage

Tough to value someone else's stuff, but I'd start by adding up current retail price for components and figure the package worth would be reasonably south of that sum.

Basic Member
    PhilC is correct, we never get out of a project what we have in it. You may be better off parting it out.

Basic Member
    I agree with separating the components, especially for the scope and action. Northland gets quite a bit for their target actions.

The caliber may decrease the value depending on the audience.

Banned
    Always better putting back to stock and selling, then sell the parts separately. Or just parting out completely like said. Unfortunately, as we’ve told several other people, no one wants YOUR custom build. At least not for what you want to get for it.

Also, look… I’m just going to say it. New people have found this clever little loop hole. Instead of becoming a Team Savage member and being able to post in the classifieds, their first post is “How much is my rifle worth?” Oh… the rifle is quite new Model 12 in a Choate stock & with a a target scope that they obviously put together? C’mon! These people know exactly how much they paid for everything. And they know what the rate of return is on used firearms. It’s also very easy to check prices on Gunbroker.

We’ve had several of these threads of late. Honestly, I think they should be deleted as it’s quite clear he’s trying to sell it and hopes someone will an offer. Now… if the OP continues on here, & posts in other threads & is Active on the Forum, then I offer my apologias.

Split it up and sell it as parts. It will sell faster and you will get more out of it because people can just buy what they have interest in instead of the whole rig when they only want the action. Maybe also add in a complete price just in case someone wants the whole thing.
    Value also depends on condition, round count on barrel, any extras?, etc.

Fyi, the stock you mention has the wrong bolt spacing for the target action

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    We’ve had several of these threads of late. Honestly, I think they should be deleted as it’s quite clear he’s trying to sell it and hopes someone will an offer. Now… if the OP continues on here, & posts in other threads & is Active on the Forum, then I offer my apologias.
    Don't worry Dave the mods are watching.

Thanks All.

The responses on this thread pretty much confirm what I was thinking already. I suppose I can let it sit in the back of a safe for a few more years and see if my interests circle back around. An unlikely scenario in my case. Another issue is the .204 caliber. I do like the round but the prices went a bit insane a few years back and at this stage is it rather a boutique round. Availability and price are not where I want to be.

Another option I was thinking of is maybe modifying it into something I can use. Though, Target Action makes that rather difficult. Yet another option is swapping out to a .223 barrel. Though, there would still be an issue over the fact that I don't really have much interest in intermediate range bench rest type shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Fyi, the stock you mention has the wrong bolt spacing for the target action
    Thank you for the pointer! I am far from an expert on these. Several of my friends were building these at the time and I'm afraid I mostly followed the crowd. Not something I try to do, but it was a good opportunity to participate in comps at my local club at the time.

I'm thinking the stock exact model was modified at the time of the build to fit my exact config and was merely a ball part suggestion.

Always better putting back to stock and selling, then sell the parts separately. Or just parting out completely like said. Unfortunately, as we’ve told several other people, no one wants YOUR custom build. At least not for what you want to get for it.

Also, look… I’m just going to say it. New people have found this clever little loop hole. Instead of becoming a Team Savage member and being able to post in the classifieds, their first post is “How much is my rifle worth?” Oh… the rifle is quite new Model 12 in a Choate stock & with a a target scope that they obviously put together? C’mon! These people know exactly how much they paid for everything. And they know what the rate of return is on used firearms. It’s also very easy to check prices on Gunbroker.

Fair enough. In my defense, not really looking to skirt the rules and I was not aware of any extra requirements for posting in the classifieds forum.

Had that been my next stop, I would need to have some sort of ball park asking prices for a WTS post. Hence, I figured additional research is needed. Believe me, I am not ignorant of the fact that this rifle is way to customized for an easy sale. Therefore, combined sum of what I paid for individual parts some years ago is not a good place to start when it comes to selling as is.

Having done some additional research on this forum and elsewhere, I am leaning towards separating the more valuable/desirable components and starting there. It seems like the scope and target action might be a good place to start. Stock is a bit outdated but it may be desirable on its own. Any use in trying to sell the base and the rings?

Another issue... I originally had a gunsmith install the barrel. I believe a special wrench was needed. Not sure I would be able to separate the barrel from the action on my own and would rather not put any more money into this sinking ship.

Banned
    I understand. And like I said, if your intent was joining to be a part of the community, my apologies for assuming the worst. Through the years I’ve been active on dozens upon dozens of Forums. I joined here in 2016 & was reading posts & articles here going back to like 2011. These days this is the only forum I’m on. So I’m I quite protective of this place & my fondness for the Savage 110 platform.

Where are you located? If you decided to part it out there could be a member somewhat local to you that has the tools to pull the barrel off for you. Just a thought.

I understand. And like I said, if your intent was joining to be a part of the community, my apologies for assuming the worst. Through the years I’ve been active on dozens upon dozens of Forums. I joined here in 2016 & was reading posts & articles here going back to like 2011. These days this is the only forum I’m on. So I’m I quite protective of this place & my fondness for the Savage 110 platform.
    No worries. I totally get it. No one likes it when there is a perception of people trying to game the system.

Additionally, I feel bad that this thing is sitting in my safe. It really is an amazing platform. I even tried to offload it to a friend at a huge loss (to me) the other day just to give it a better home. But its such a niche to begin with and highly customized at that... so didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Where are you located? If you decided to part it out there could be a member somewhat local to you that has the tools to pull the barrel off for you. Just a thought.
    Personally, I try not to be a bother to anyone. Would rather pay for help than impose on someone's good will. Having said that, I'm in Lehigh Valley, PA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue99 View Post
    Personally, I try not to be a bother to anyone. Would rather pay for help than impose on someone's good will. Having said that, I'm in Lehigh Valley, PA.

You aren’t far from me at all. I’m just south of Philadelphia in Delaware County. Very close to where 476 begins. If you ever want to get it apart, put it back to stock, I’d be happy to do all that for you. As a forum friend.

My son goes to college at East Stroudsburg. I live in Lancaster County but drive thru Lehigh occasionally. Other members are from that area as well. Just met with a fellow member in the last week or so who is in Quakertown.
    Tearing one apart take 2 minutes with the right tools. Can be done on a bench or the hood of a car…lol don’t hesitate to ask for help.

Deepblue, Just realized I will probably be heading up your direction one day next week. Shoot me a PM if youre interested and want to meet me somewhere to take the barrel off. If it’s doable I will bring my tools along.
    tried to send you a pm, but since you’re a new member I don’t think you have access to that yet? Doesnt give me the option to message you.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

@Dave Hoback, @pdog06

Thank you both for the kind offer!

I've reached out to one of my friends who originally helped me put this together. He still has the barrel wrench and has agreed to help me part this rifle out. Besides the barrel removal, the rest looks like it should be a piece of cake.

I suppose once that is done. I will into some options on how to best find new owners for the more desirable components. Classified section on this forum seems like a good place to start.