Thread: Which Scope Rings/Rail, Mount did you choose & why?

Banned

Which Scope Rings/Rail, Mount did you choose & why?

This should be a fun thread. Please share your scope mounting choice & why. What drew you to the parts used? What prevented you from some of the other choices?

I started using the Picatinny rail fan around 2004. I immediately learned the differences between Weaver & Picatinny (aka Mil-STD 1913 rail.) I’ve used several different brands over the years & have quite a conscionable choosing. Now, one thing we hear so often & I am Honestly against it, is “Look to what the top performers are using.” I couldn't care less what the pros use. That doesn’t tell me anything. The best shooters use a brand that will sponsor them. Sure it’s a top brand, but who cares. They are the best because they use a top brand name… They use the top brand names because they are the best! I prefer doing my own research and finding the best for within my budget.
    I prefer Billet Aluminum mounting and will accept only 7075-T6 Aluminum. I like the rings to have top caps with 2-screws per side (4 total). As for the bottom half mounting to the rail, a single screw is fine. In years past I was partial to the “tactical” style using a 7/16” nut on the outside. And I’ve also used the QD (Quick Disconnect) style. Now I like the either 1 large or the 2 smaller flat top screws for a clean look. Another feature I prefer is the Cross mounting Lug machined directly into the bottom of the rail. On all the Tactical option rings I’ve used in the past, the screw itself served as the Cross Lug for the ring.

For a Rail, I am comfortable with an of the well known 7075, Picatinny rails. Warne, EGR, Leupold & Talley-which is what I use now. A Talley with 20MOA. My top pick would be the Murphy Titanium rail, but that price, mm! Maybe one day if I find a good enough coupon, HAHA!
    I spent quite a bit of time searching for new rings. During the search I came across the Audere brand. I had never heard of them as they are Italian made. The company makes a few options, both Rings & 1-piece mounts. I decided their PSR rings were perfect. Having all the features I was looking for. The machined in Cross Lugs & all. They also have a built in bubble level which is a nice touch & the machined surface grip lines is another added feature that is welcomed. When I received them I knew it was the right choice. Even their packaging was fantastic. I appreciate any company who will put this level of care into making certain their product is safe during transport. As I studied them more I also found that both March Optics & IOR Valdada use Audere scope mounts/rings branded with their name/logo. That was reassuring of quality before ever purchasing. Last was the price. At $149, they aren’t the cheapest, however, they also aren’t even close to the highest prices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2857BA5C-1C52-4924-9515-055802B2A3AA.jpg   EE71BEA1-A0BC-4B8D-9034-10E038084B6F.jpg   2E5C2ECC-B385-42EF-BCB9-E5AEF6B99BB7.jpg  

Use a lot of Burris Signature rings so i can adj out some horizontal error and add some elevation in.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Those are nice looking rings! This is also a very timely thread. I 'm looking forward to reading the other responses. I'll need a rail and rings when my Model 12 gets back from Savage.

Team Savage
    Looks like a nice case for the Garmin Xero.

Basic Member
    :)

I've used Weaver and Warne and can't tell the difference in 'performance'. But, I've not had rings that did not work with the Weaver either, although I know some do not.

My only consideration for rings is that they are not split vertically. I have a pair of Warne like that and they are just a real PITA to get the scope aligned properly. And every time the scope is removed that has to be done over again.

I do like 4 screws per ring. I went to those after putting a scope on a TC Contender in .30-30.

I don't spend a lot of money on rings/mounts. I've not had any fail or shift zero, even when I used to hunt a lot. And most of those were cheap rings/mounts. I'd rather spend any extra money on the scope.

But, if you need the ability to dismount and then return to zero, that's another story. I've never needed that so have no real world experience with it.

PS the most 'elegant' setup to me was an old mauser with claw mounts. That was kinda cool.

Team Savage
    Athlon Armor (34mm 1.16" medium).
    4.62oz for the pair.
    4 screw rings 2 screw base. Dual cross lugs. $54 many places.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K3II0118.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	10195

Basic Member
    I have used Burris, Nightforce, EGW, Leupold pic rails and never had any fail. I have more EGW rails than any other kind because of the cost and that i have not had any failures or problems.

I have more Burris Signature rings than any other kind of rings. I have 8 sets and zero failures. They never leave a mark on scopes and they add cant if you want, that is the reason i use them. That said, i have never had a problem with any rings and i have had 4 sets of the Vortex ones that are $60 a set, about as many of the burris ones that are about the same price and a couple sets of weaver that are about the same price, the expensive Vortex ones that i got for $150 a set, Steiner $180/set, the expensive seekins, Talley, Warne, some cheap amazon ones (forget the name) and most recently some Athlon that i got for free in a promotion when i got a scope. Never a problem with any regardless of price (everything has been $35 or more) since i have got a torque wrench/screwdriver. As far as preference, i use the Burris Signature the most so i can add 20-30 MOA more cant in addition to a 20 MOA rail to make better use of the scopes that have 90-120 MOA of elevation.
    Before that i did have a set of cheap ones not hold a scope in place, but that was the 1990's and i think they were $20.

Im a big fan of set and forget one and done burris or leupold dual dovetail rings and bases, though Burris doesnt offer them anymore.
    They provide plenty of clearance over the ejection port for cleaning, and maintenance a minimalist clean appearance, and hold zero no matter what.
    I also have standard leupold and burris bases and rings and they work very well also.

With the shorter tubes on more recent scopes sometimes the 2 piece are a little further apart than the scope tube and i have to go another route.
    Except on an MSR I hate picatinny and weaver style rails especially the EGW rails.
    The base on them is way to thick and sets the scope up too high off the action. And then with their length they are basically useless unless causing the ocular and objective bells or focus to make contact with the rail unless youre willing to forego a cheek weld and use them in conjunction with high rings.
    I have several ive had to cut down several to meet my needs. Egw also uses hex head screws that are prone to stripping even with.moderate torque.
    Yep no EGW on purpose if i can help it been there done that.
    I have a set of badger ordinance high rings on a badger pic rail on a 700 varminter that are supposed to be bomb proof but that rifle has a cheek riser.
    Weaver grand slam steel rings and bases work well on some of my older stuff with a longer tube.
    I like the burris signature Z quick release MSR mounts and have several.
    Sure wish theyd make dual dovetails with double offset. Id get a couple sets for the parts box.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I chose Warne steel bases (two piece) and steel 214M 30mm rings for my M11. Very stiff & solid. No regrets.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I just picked up a Valdada G2 Mini 4.5-28 x 50 to plop on my 110 Ultralite, and also bought the Audere 34mm rings. I was looking at the Leupold Backcountry Cross-slot and the Warne Mountain Tech rails. Both are the harder 7075-T6, but I heard the Leupolds are multi use for the LA 110 & Axis, and sit more forward overhanging the receiver. I've always been a fan of Warne stuff (holding the current scope on my 110 Ultralite), so I'll probably go with them, albeit 30% more expensive.

Does anyone have experience with the Leupold rail on a 110 Ultralite LA?

Basic Member
    I wound up calling EGW, since they are OEM for Savage, and are well-respected. The tech support was great, and I settled on their 30MOA HD rail, made of 7075-T6. The Valdada has 125MOA of elevation adjustment, so that 30MOA should get me down enough to have some fun with steel out to 2000 yds or farther! The scope comes in Friday, and I'm as giddy as a little-leaguer on the way to Carvels!

Basic Member
    I like a 1 piece mount, preferably one that attaches directly, no rail or base, T/C or DNZ. These only work if they have a mount that fits your gun, otherwise you have to go to a rail mount. In rail mounts, I like Aero Precision and Arken. Don't have much experience with others. Just my $.02.

Team Savage
    When it comes to rings, I've used Warne vertical split rings almost exclusively now for quite a few years. They are rugged, reliable and -- mounted properly -- never, ever leave a mark on a scope tube. One particular Zeiss Conquest scope was in and out of Warne rings at least a dozen times, and the tube still could have passed for new. As to bases, it depends on the format. For my Contenders, I prefer the EABCO EER base. On bolt rifles, I've had good luck with Warne and EGW.

Below are two scopes that had been mounted with Warne Maxima rings. You can't differentiate these tubes from brand new. I wouldn't even consider putting a nice scope in anything other than Warnes.

Even scopes known for having soft finishes -- like this Trijicon -- fare well in Warne rings.

Like you, I used Warne vertical split for a long time. From aluminum 1" hunter to tactical 34mm. I have changed on my latest purchased to some really high end stuff but still love those Warnes for all the reasons you mentioned.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.