Thread: Well guy's I went

Basic Member

Well guy's I went

and spent about $1200 bucks today!!! I bought an MDT Oryx stock from Optic's Planet a Criterion 26'' threaded bull barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor 2 precision barrel nuts and 2 precision recoil lugs from NSS, a PTG bolt head, this all for my build on my Model 12 Savage, I may have some parts for sale off my M12, the wait on the barrel is a killer!!! we're talking late January! I already have a trigger from Sharpshooter Supply, and purchased a Tactical bolt handle from Gun Shack about a week ago, so I probably won't see this rifle done until late spring!

What’s he charging for prefit barrels these days ? Waiting till the end of January is pretty good really, I wait 14 just for the blank.

Basic Member
    The pre fit barrel was $436 to the door!

Banned
    I ordered a Criterion barrel & new GO gauge from Jim last April. Took 22 weeks from time of order. But then, mine was a special order in 260AI. He stocks many at NSS & be much faster if you get what he has in stock. Yeah, the wait can be quite daunting. Still, he is dependable.

Sounds great Mark! Just keep your head down & count the weeks partner. Looking forward to seeing the outcome. Sorry again I couldn’t help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark611 View Post
    The pre fit barrel was $436 to the door!
    At that price.. order two

Basic Member
    Dave we're good my friend, Yes he had some shilen barrels on hand for $50 dollars more, but I wanted a Criterion barrel, my friend who builds rifles for me recommended using 1 of these barrels for my next build, so I'm going to buy what he recommends, a pre fit vs a blank, and this will save me a bunch of money on the machining on this build, if I'm not happy I can always buy another barrel! the only machining to be done at this point is blue printing the action, I'm also going to have the Barrel and action barrel nut and recoil lug Melonited, I had all this done on my last build and will continue to Melonite my custom builds period! this adds some life to the barrel and is corrosion resistant and it's not that expensive,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    What’s he charging for prefit barrels these days ? Waiting till the end of January is pretty good really, I wait 14 just for the blank.

Guess prices went up a bit. The Criterion I got in April is a SS 28, MTU profile. Ended up being $369.00 shipped to my door. Again, I got a GO Gauge as well, and even with CC fee, total was $416.12.

Was your muzzle threaded on yours Dave? They are about $50-75 more with a threaded muzzle. I believe when I got a 28” threaded MTU Criterion from NSS last year I paid about the same as Mark did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pdog06 View Post
    Was your muzzle threaded on yours Dave? They are about $50-75 more with a threaded muzzle. I believe when I got a 28” threaded MTU Criterion from NSS last year I paid about the same as Mark did.
    Oh yes, that’s the difference. No, I never have the muzzles threaded. I’m not a Tacti-kewl mall-Ninja, Assassin of Death who needs a Sound Suppressor and no need for a muzzle brake on anything less than RUM power level. LOL ��

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Guess prices went up a bit. The Criterion I got in April is a SS 28, MTU profile. Ended up being $369.00 shipped to my door. Again, I got a GO Gauge as well, and even with CC fee, total was $416.12.
    Still’ they are good prices for a good barrel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    Still’ they are good prices for a good barrel.

Absolutely. Pdog06 figured it out. Threaded muzzle was the difference.

Basic Member
    Oh yes, that’s the difference. No, I never have the muzzles threaded. I’m not a Tacti-kewl mall-Ninja, Assassin of Death who needs a Sound Suppressor and no need for a muzzle brake on anything less than RUM power level. LOL ��
    This is from an AR fanatic LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    This is from an AR fanatic LOL

My AR’s always have Flash Hiders! Never a Can & never a Muzzle Brake! I used a Brake on a short barrel AR15 I built in 2006. I shot it with the YHM Muzzle Brake a total of 4 shots…. Once! Then I removed it and put on a 5C2 Phantom Flash Hider. I vowed then to never use a brake noise maker again. Though, as I said, I understand them on RUM power level & larger.

Flash Hiders aren’t muzzle brakes. Anything else Charlie? Or does it make sense how moot your statement was?

Basic Member
    I get it Dave, I have 2 Sanders uppers 1 in 223W the other in 6.5Grendel, both of them came with a Jerry Michalak style muzzle break, and they are not needed on either of the uppers! yes, they are loud! all of my other uppers have a spiral type of flash hider on them and work well, neither of these calibers need a muzzle break.

Banned
    No, they don’t. But really I’m just having a go. I don’t mind if people have threaded barrels. But fact is, there’s just no reason (save what I’ve already discussed.), for a Noise Quieter or a Noise Maker on the end. But people think there is. Far as suppressors go, makes no never mind to me. I just think they are funny is all. So I joke about Mall-Ninjas, Super-Duper Assassiner-ators & what not.….. OF DEATH! LOL! No, seriously, person wants to spend all the money on them it’s their prerogative. I just don’t see why so many want them. But whatever. Now muzzle brakes. I only have a problem with them if I’m sitting at a bench enjoying myself shooting, and next thing, some dude what can’t see but 2 inches in front of his own agenda, sits next to me with his 223 or 308 and a big ol’ brake on the end; before I realize it, I’m being thumped in the chest by the air compression & a stinging in my eardrum from the percussion. Not pleasant

Basic Member
    So why do you have flash hiders? Tacti-cool? Just leave the end of the barrel bare. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    So why do you have flash hiders? Tacti-cool? Just leave the end of the barrel bare. :)
    Number 1 is aesthetics. They don’t look right without a Flash Hider. They look like the bastardized, neutered AR’s in Commiefornia, New York,, etc. Just FUGLY!
    Same as an AK-47. They don’t look right without the Slant Brake.
    Number 2, depending on ammo, 16” & shorter. AR’s can throw out some pretty annoy fire balls.

Team Savage
    I my limited experience, every time I shortened and threaded a barrel for a brake the accuracy improved. I have never considered a suppressor, I am in NYS!. I mostly shoot alone so blowing things off the bench is not a problem. I like reducing the recoil to the point I can see impact at 200 + yards on steel. Theory: I have reduced the vibration by shortening the barrel making it easier to "sweeten" a load. Since I am a poor country boy, I am happy with Harrell's brakes.

Basic Member
    Number 1 is aesthetics. They don’t look right without a Flash Hider. They look like the bastardized, neutered AR’s in Commiefornia, New York,, etc. Just FUGLY!
    Same as an AK-47. They don’t look right without the Slant Brake.
    Number 2, depending on ammo, 16” & shorter. AR’s can throw out some pretty annoy fire balls.
    So...tacti-cool. FWIW, I like the look of a bare muzzle even on a military rifle. The M2 MG's I fired didn't even wear them, nor did the 105 main gun :)

And muzzle flash? Only tactical use needs a flash hider.

Basic Member
    I wont shoot unsuppressed anymore. Nothing to do with tacticool ninjaness. I just want to preserve my hearing. I also wear ear plugs 24/7 at work, and guys will flip me shit for it, but half of them need hearing aids, the other half will in a few years. Cant get your hearing back once its gone. But to each their own. My hearing is a major part of my hunting. Generally hear animals before i see them. Would hate to lose that.
    The wait on your barrel isnt bad at all. Ordered my last barrel july 11th, its supposed to arrive this thursday

Basic Member
    I like shooting with a suppressor. For me it's the cost that holds me back.

I only have 10% hearing in my left ear due to a single incident on a military range.