Thread: Custom Savage 10 Price

Custom Savage 10 Price

I have a custom Savage 10 that I am looking to sell(not on here just to clarify) in order to build a different rifle and I am curious if my pricing is logical:

Parts List Is As Follows

Savage 10 BA Stealth Evolution Barreled Action(6.5 Creedmoor) Blue Printed, Large Shank 24" Barrel with a .87 Muzzle Diameter
    McMillan A5 Stock with CDI Precision Bottom Metal installed(Both No Longer offered; CDI is no longer in Business and McMillan doesn't inlet for Savage anymore) $900
    Custom Gunsmith work(smoothing of the bolt, bedding of the Riflestock, installation of a 1913 Picatinny Rail) 432.00
    Thunderbeast Bipod with Leg Extensions($450)
    Weaver 20 MOA Base and a Bushnell XRS Gen 2 4.5-30x56 in 34mm Zeiss Precision Rings with Integral Anti-Cant Bubble Level $900

I was thinking of pricing it for everything, at or around $2250.00

Does that seem too high for a used rifle?
    Should I look at selling it lower than what I've calculated it at or does this sound reasonable given everything involved?

Basic Member
    I don't think that's a bad price considering, I took a Savage model 11 short action, purchased a Brux M40 barrel blank that needed to be chambered, threaded, had the action bule printed, 20moa EGW rail that was pinned to the action, had the bolt worked and lapped, melonited the barrel and action, rifle Basix trigger that was tuned, used a Stockade gun stock with bottom metal for AICS mags, topped with EGW rings and a Bushnell ELITE Tactical DMR 6x24x50, The whole set up was about 5k IIRC and that was about 12yrs ago!

Probably not a bad price given what is included, but only if what is included is exactly what someone else is looking to build or end up with. If you list it with all that and a potential buyer doesn’t want all that the value of each goes down in their eyes, so not quite as appealing of a deal.

My honest opinion(if you’re listing it online on gun forums classifieds) is to offer a complete setup price but also split it up and offer separate prices as well. That way if some is only looking for a particular stock, action, or scope, they can buy what they need. Like atleast offer a scoped and non-scoped option, and maybe even split by scope, stock, and barreled action. If you have the tools you could even sell the action and barrel separate.

In the end you will get more money out of it splitting it up.

Banned
    You would likely fair better putting it back to factory & sell your parts separately. I’ll be honest with you, no one wants to buy someone else’s “custom” rifle. Especially not a Savage.

I agree with Pdog and Dave youre gonna need to split it up to get anything out of it and the value is still going to be that of used parts.
    Every time i see a "custom anything" for sale I get nervous and typically shy away unless its exactly what Im looking for and/or a straight up steal.
    If I build or have something built, I do it for me, knowing full well the monetary value is gone and in some cases I could have bought a similar factory rig with a warranty for less.
    The only "customs" worth anything near the sum of their parts are those fitted or restored by well known craftsmen and documented as such.
    Goes for cars guns and everything else.
    Good luck
    Maybe you'll find that guy looking for exactly what you have.
    My long departed dad was a pretty smart fella and always told me " Your stuff is worth exactly what the man with the cash is willing ro pay on the day your ready to sell."
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    A lot of wisdom in these replies, if you built it or had it built for you? no one will appreciate the value you put into it but you! If you don't like the caliber or bord with it you can always turn into another caliber, that's what I'm currently doing with my M12SA, it's a 223rem and I know I could sell it, it's a LH rifle but I'm a LH shooter so to me instead of buying another rifle, I'm going to make it what I want! and be happy!