My big boomer(for now)

Here is my 458 win mag Encore.

Starter loads with a 420gr hard cast

It's a shooter

A few different loads to try

Sweet. but my wrist hurts just looking at the pictures LOL
    Safe shooting
    Doug
    Enjoy Life but remember we are only practicing for something Better.

Team Savage
    That's a nice-looking rig you have there! Have any hunts planned with it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tomek View Post
    That's a nice-looking rig you have there! Have any hunts planned with it?
    This is my Africa gun. I have a test next month on water buffalo

Basic Member
    ouch!!!!

nice gun

Team Savage
    You the man, man... I imagine the report is rather impressive, would like to see the fire ball

That cast bullet load looks like fun. I think I would pass on the "full boogie" loads, lol.

Tell us more about your upcoming water buffalo hunt.

It all looks very interesting.

Who's muzzle brake is that? Wondering how much muzzle flip vs. rearward motion you get under recoil (on a full house load).
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
    That cast bullet load looks like fun. I think I would pass on the "full boogie" loads, lol.

Tell us more about your upcoming water buffalo hunt.

It all looks very interesting.

Who's muzzle brake is that? Wondering how much muzzle flip vs. rearward motion you get under recoil (on a full house load).

The muzzle brake is from SSK. There is still a lot of muzzle flip. I may try a different brake. Full throttle loads are quite stout to say the least. I'll be using a 350gr barnes x bullet at 1950fps for the first shot, followed up by the 420gr hardcast at 1875fps if needed. I'll post a hunt report when I get back

Nice pistol, looks interesting! I'm curious about the cartridge choice, why the Winchester Magnum over one of the rimmed cartridges with similar ballistics? Looking forward to the hunt report!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Nice pistol, looks interesting! I'm curious about the cartridge choice, why the Winchester Magnum over one of the rimmed cartridges with similar ballistics? Looking forward to the hunt report!
    Two reasons. First, it's the most powerful. I don't know any rimmed cartridge that comes close. Second and most important, the need to find ammo in Africa should I get separated from mine during travel.

Make sure your head stamps match the barrel. I hear the S Africans are worse than us at customs. You shouldn't have a problem here, but imagine trying to bring a Wildcat round.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Drifter View Post
    Two reasons. First, it's the most powerful. I don't know any rimmed cartridge that comes close. Second and most important, the need to find ammo in Africa should I get separated from mine during travel.
    There are several, the .450 Nitro Express comes to mind quickly but ammo could be a bit of a problem. I do like the .458 WM and expect it will be plenty of power for whatever your target.
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WadeMod View Post
    Make sure your head stamps match the barrel. I hear the S Africans are worse than us at customs. You shouldn't have a problem here, but imagine trying to bring a Wildcat round.
    I have been to South Africa about 12 times in the last 10 years. I book hunts and take clients at least once a year. We have never had them look at our ammo. However, you're correct, you are supposed to have the proper headstamp on the brass.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    There are several, the .450 Nitro Express comes to mind quickly but ammo could be a bit of a problem. I do like the .458 WM and expect it will be plenty of power for whatever your target.
    Like I said, easy to find ammo

Team Savage
    Ive been looking to change career direction where can i send my resume?

In all seriousness that looks like a ton of fun. i have a #1 in 404 Jeffery that im patiently waiting to take to africa. a contender in that would be fantastic.

you should try the triangular muzzle brake style on the 50 BMG. or the one S&W uses on their 460 and 500 magnums.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pighunter284 View Post
    Ive been looking to change career direction where can i send my resume?

In all seriousness that looks like a ton of fun. i have a #1 in 404 Jeffery that im patiently waiting to take to africa. a contender in that would be fantastic.

you should try the triangular muzzle brake style on the 50 BMG. or the one S&W uses on their 460 and 500 magnums.
    I did try the "Tank" style brake. It didn't do that much more than the brake pictured.