Thread: Tripods

Banned

Tripods

Who here uses full size adjustable tripods? Show ‘em if ya hit ‘em! I’m contemplating buying one to have. Won’t do much for me at the range… but one of these years (hopefully) I can get out to my buddy’s in Arizona(still my favorite place on earth!), and it would certainly work well out there. I’ve been looking at some. Now I’m sure some of you have the $600, $800.. $1200++ jobbies you’ll recommend. I’m not interested in spending money like that on a rifle holding fixture! I’ve looked and I can put together a 64” Carbon Fiber Tripod leg set and 46mm Artcise Ball Head with ARCA rail, for under $200. And it’s good for near 50lbs load, which my 16lb. Rig ain’t even close to!

General or other thought?

Basic Member
    I've got a couple of them Dave. The first one I got for coyote / hog hunting duties at the ranch, it works great with almost any type of rifle /shotgun. Only negative is the weight, it's a heavy tripod. back when I bought it years ago it was under the Caldwell brand name - the Magnum DeadShot Fieldpod. The price wasn't bad for it, around $160.
    I've used it several times shooting steel out to a mile, so it is plenty steady to shoot off of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKwMHn2jjK8

My expensive one is a Benro Mach 3 series aluminum tripod. I chose the aluminum over carbon fiber, the weight difference was just a few ounces and not worth the extra expense to me. I've never cared for the Arca rail style, so for the head I went with a ZRO Delta head that attaches to any type of picatinny rail on the bottom of a rifle.
    The head cost almost double the price of the tripod, but it is a great unit that can be locked into any position and is smooth as silk to use. I did install a rubber plumbing connector with a hose clamp so I can have better control of side to side movement of the head. The sealed roller bearing allows the rifle to move too easily without it.

Team Savage
    I use just a standard aluminum surveyors tripod with a plywood top stuck on top. Fancy.