Thread: Is this a side effect of removing the trigger blade? (firing when manual safety is disengaged)

Is this a side effect of removing the trigger blade? (firing when manual safety is disengaged)

Hello all. New guy here and new Savage owner. I just picked up a used Axis II 300blk in Veil camo to use as a short distance deer rifle while I wait to finish a higher end build that I am working on. After purchasing the rifle, I realized that the previous owner had removed the safety blade from the Accu-trigger. I did a lot of reading about this and decided to check the function of the rifle (unloaded). I cannot get the rifle to dry-fire by slamming the bolt closed, bumping the stock, or putting pressure on the trigger in any direction other than rearward as intended. However, I did discover the following. When the bolt is closed and the rifle is ready to fire AND the manual tang safety is engaged (the state the rifle would likely be in while in the blind), you can pull the trigger and it will move rearward approximately 1/8", click, and lock into place. The trigger cannot be pushed back forward and the only way to unlock the trigger at this point is to unlock the bolt or to disengage the manual tang safety. Disengaging the manual safety dry-fires the rifle every time.

Obviously, if I am in the blind and attempt to fire at a deer without disengaging the safety (unlikely but possible in the heat of the moment), I would be forced to unbolt the rifle, likely ruining any shot I had. The PO is supposedly mailing me the trigger blade. So my questions...

1. Is it difficult to reinstall?
    2. Is the safety issue a side-effect of the modified trigger? Or is there something else going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    The safety screw needs re-adjusted. It is located on the rear of the trigger and is blocked by a plastic ball to conceal it from consumers. You will need to pick it out or drill it out to get to the screw. Once you get that out of the way, use 5/64th allen wrench to adjust it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    Welcome!

Like sharpshooter said, the actual thumb safety is slightly out of adjustment. Simple enough to drill the plastic ball as said, exposing the set screw. Reinstalling the safety blade is easy enough & I do recommend it. Without it, a follow fire after closing the bolt is always possible. Although, it’s possible with any single-stage trigger.

This picture shows the set screw sticking out the top. The plastic can’t be seen on the bottom.

Thank you both very much for the detailed replies. Quick follow-up question. Do you think the trigger blade removal is the cause for the safety being out of adjustment? Or are these two issues completely unrelated? Could it be because the trigger has been adjusted to a light pull weight?

Thanks again.

Banned
    No, the safety blade has nothing to do with it.

Ww answered your question already. Sharpshooter said the trigger safety screw with the plastic ball covering it needs adjusted, and then I posted a picture with the location of that set screw. The safety is out of adjustment which allows the trigger to creep forward when the safety is on. Is recommend taking it so someone who understands the workings for proper adjustment.

Banned
    Actually sorry, I posted a pic of a 110 Accutrigger. Here is the Axis II trigger. The safety adjustment screw might not even have the plastic over it on the Axis. This one doesn’t.

Yes, I understand what the issue is and what needs to be done to remedy it. And thank you for the updated pic. I was just trying to clarify what might have caused the safety to be out of adjustment. As in, could it have come from the factory this way? Or is it something that has happened as a result of normal use or as a result of something the previous owner might have done.

Basic Member
    It may be that the previous owner swapped out the entire trigger assembly for another.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Banned
    I got ya starquest.

Yes, could have been either of those things you stated or as sharpshooter added. But nothing to do with the safety blade, that’s for certain.