Thread: Thoughts from scope users.

Thoughts from scope users.

Out shooting my Savage 110 .223 with my 30+ year old Leupold VX-III 6.5 - 20 at 100 yds. Supposed to be 1/4 moa clicks. Well, after the first target it was obvious that the settings needed 1 click up and 1 left to place shots in the X ring. Made adjustments accordingly and the results of target 2 have me thinking. Seems 1 click each moved the poi 1/2 moa in both directions. I know, after 30 years the scope should be replaced. Just hate to lose an old friend. I do remember I always left the settings the same for decades and did hold overs for poi. Either I go back to that, replace the scope or settle for 1/2 moa adjustments. Decisions, decisions. Seriously considering another Sightron with 1/10 moa clicks Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scope adjustments..jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Why not look to another new Leupold VX-III? They are now HD & have much better…well, everything! I believe the Leupold VX line to be the finest hunting scopes money can buy.

Figured this would be a good place to show a good shooting Savage with the optic being the holdup for perfection.

Decided to try one of my Sightron 10-50x60mm with 1/8 moa clicks off one of my rimfire rifles. NF rings on the picatinny rail line up perfect so it's no big deal to go back to the Leupold. For shooting silhouettes, the Leupold was fine. Whatta hobby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savage 110 .223 1.jpg   Savage 110 .223.jpg  
    Last edited by NF1E; 12-01-2023 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add photos.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Scope change made all the difference in the world. 3 shots to sight in and we were off to the races with two different ammo hand loads. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sightron.jpg   Sightron 2.jpg   Sightron 3.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    I wouldn't give up on the old scope either. As long as the reticle movement is repeatable the scope is useful. At the very least it would make a good hunting scope for someone.

I have a Leupold M8 2x pistol scope that has absorbed lots of abuse for, I'm guessing, 42 years (it's currently on a .357 Mag - not severe but respectable. Has spent some time on a .44 Mag and a .22 Jet (not abusive except to the ears!). I'm currently hunting deer with a 19 oz. (love that) VX-5HD 3-15x44mm FireDot that is outstanding for the uses I put it up to. As long as you can zero the VX-III and it holds it . . . keep it! The adjustments may be off but as long as they are solid and you're not a "dialer" type of scope user what is the problem? That said: My VX-5HD has an elevation turret milled to my hunting load ballistics so I can take a range with a lazer rangefinder and dial the turret to that distance. Sooo nice for longer shots where you have the time. Prior to this I NEVER tweeked a scope adjustment in the field.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Thanks gents. Scope will be going on one of my silhouette rifles where the precision is not all that important. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    IDK but don't Lupies have a lifetime warranty? Just send it in for service and let them fix the adjusters....
    I sent one to Burris after 20+ years and even though it has been out of production a decade they fixed it and sent it back working like new.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
    IDK but don't Lupies have a lifetime warranty? .
    I sent one back years ago for repair with a badly dented tube,It had sump'm to with a popular tree, a Mod 70 and trash barrel a the range.
    I assume it was beyond 'fix'n" so about a week later the USPS nag put a new 3-9x 40 in mail our box......No charge!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Just read on another forum where a guy sent his 24x Leupold in for repair and they couldn’t repair it. So the offered to send him a 45x competition to replace it! A $1200 replacement. Instead they settled on a 8.5-25 I think. Not a bad replacement for a 25year old scope!

Team Savage

Moved since discussion is predominantly scope oriented.

I replaced most of my 6.5 - 20 Leupolds with target dots a very long time ago. I think it was 6 8.5 - 25 MK4s all at the same time about 20 years ago. Now it looks like Night Force and Sightron are working for me. . Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails REM 700.jpg   Savage 110 .223 1.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Quote Originally Posted by NF1E View Post
    I replaced most of my 6.5 - 20 Leupolds with target dots a very long time ago. I think it was 6 8.5 - 25 MK4s all at the same time about 20 years ago. Now it looks like Night Force and Sightron are working for me. . Whatta Hobby!
    So which do you prefer? I'm looking at either the Nightforce BR 12-42x56 or the Sightrom SIII Long Range 10-50x60. Whatever I decide on will be going on a .30 BR short range bench rest rifle.

Thanks!
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    You should send a PM to Fuj. Short BR is his game.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
    IDK but don't Lupies have a lifetime warranty? Just send it in for service and let them fix the adjusters....
    I sent one to Burris after 20+ years and even though it has been out of production a decade they fixed it and sent it back working like new.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    So which do you prefer? I'm looking at either the Nightforce BR 12-42x56 or the Sightrom SIII Long Range 10-50x60. Whatever I decide on will be going on a .30 BR short range bench rest rifle.

Thanks!
    That's a very hard question. Both are great scopes. I recently picked up a NightForce Competition 15-55x52mm and I think I like it a tad more than the Sightron SIII. Close race for sure. The Sightron SV 10-50x60mm is another one to look at. Now that I am completely retarded, I have time to shoot daily on my home range and just enjoy all sorts of target optics. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Hope sure hope you meant retired. From one who has suffered some brain damage, thus partially retarted, LOL!

I am finding that I like the Sightron SV 10 - 50 x 60 just a little better than the Night Force Competition 15 - 55 x 52. Have been shooting fly swatter targets at 100 yds and the Sightron does a better job for me. Whatta Hobby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flyswatter.jpg  
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Basic Member
    Why not give Leupold a chance to make it right?