Thread: Put my new Barrel on today.

Banned

Put my new Barrel on today.

It’s funny, no matter how many times I do it, always can miss something at first. I finally got around to Cerakoting the new criterion 28” barrel & letting it cure. I went to install it today. So I go about setting up the Action Wrench, grabbing my new AI “GO” Gauge & .0035” shim. I started to put the Action Wrench and realized I missed something.

Here’s the new Titanium Recoil Lug I machined on the Right. The PTG Lug I was using on the Left. The next picture is the one half of the Action Wrench with the Recoil Lug cutout. Notice something wrong?

Yup! That’s right. The new Lug I made, I copied after the M40 rifle Lug. It has no taper. Full diameter of the round. So it was far too large to fit in the Action Wrench Lug cut out. A little quick work on the mill VIOLA! Below is the barreled action complete. I torque the barrel nut to 75ft.lbs always. And I set it so it barely even starts to close with the Go Gauge & .0035” shim installed.

Basic Member
    Very cool!

Basic Member
    Dave most would say "that's funny!" even though it aint! I do not have the tools to perform that work.

Basic Member
    Well Dave, after looking at this pix again. was this senior moment? LOL!!! that's gonna be kind of hard to fit the stock,

I think we have all had those moments. Problem is the frequency seems to be increasing as the years go by. Whatta Hobby!
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark611 View Post
    Well Dave, after looking at this pix again. was this senior moment? LOL!!! that's gonna be kind of hard to fit the stock,
    No. It was simply an Outta sight outta mind thing. Once I got the Action Wrench out & started getting set up, it was readily apparent. Not hard to fit. I’m using a Mirage URL chassis. The Recoil Lug opening is much larger & easily accepts the full diameter Lug. I never would have machined the Recoil Lug wrong. I didn’t modify the Lug, I machined the one half the Action Wrench to fit my Lug. The last picture is after I machined the Action Wrench.

Basic Member
    Just getting back on the forum again after several busy years of not getting to do much shooting or rifle building. But I noticed that barrel nut is different. Is that custom or where can one buy that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramstud41 View Post
    Just getting back on the forum again after several busy years of not getting to do much shooting or rifle building. But I noticed that barrel nut is different. Is that custom or where can one buy that?

Not too long ago there was a thread where I listed all the latest Barrel Nut options. From that, Jim did an Article, found on the home page under Savage FAQ’s.
    The Barrel nut in question is from International Barrels in Canada. They won’t ship a barrel, but they will ship the barrel nuts.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Nut-Options

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Not too long ago there was a thread where I listed all the latest Barrel Nut options. From that, Jim did an Article, found on the home page under Savage FAQ’s.
    The Barrel nut in question is from International Barrels in Canada. They won’t ship a barrel, but they will ship the barrel nuts.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Nut-Options
    Thank you Dave. I’m learning you are the forum hero

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramstud41 View Post
    Thank you Dave. I’m learning you are the forum hero
    Well, I appreciate that. but no. I’m just one of several guys here who enjoy helping other shooters. There are others here with a great deal more experience than myself. Im around more because I’m disabled and cope with insomnia, so I’m awake most of the time. Also this the only Forum I take part in anymore & I care about this place very much. I can’t drive so only get shooting anymore, if my son or another friend is going. And like most, many things changed in the wake of the COVI-wovi where the bulk of people lost their minds! But I’ve done & studied a great many things in my 45 years. But firearms has been there the whole time since I was 12.
    But thank you for the compliment. Warms my heart knowing I can still be helpful.

Basic Member
    Dave you're a great help!!! in the short time I have been on this forum you have helped me out a bunch!!! and it is greatly appreciated!!! I've been around for 60yrs, I have a great knowledge of many things but I'm just getting started on building my own rifles, I've been shooting since I was 4/5yrs old, growing up in a military family, I've been smithing on guns since my 20's, most of my experience on working on guns has come from the air gun community. look me up on the GTA Mark 611,