Thread: Lapua Brass

L.H. Clark

Lapua Brass

I have read in some of the threads that Lapua brass is a bit thicker than Winchester or Remington, or even Nosler. Has anyone noticed this trend? Was wondering because I was thinking of getting a lee collet neck sizer for a 6.5 Swede but don't really want to if it's gonna eat the Lapua brass. Never had a lee collet neck sizer, but am reading some good things on them. Anyway, I plan on neck turning for consistency so this may not be a problem but I've also read that you really don't need to turn Lapua brass because it's just that good. Anyway........ any input? Any opinions?

DIESEL TECH

Re: Lapua Brass

The brass is thicker and lupua is that good, IMO I would not turn the brass, I have used a lot of lupua brass in my .308 without any problems and you can get 2x more reloads the win brass and rem brass.

dcloco

Has not been my experience that Lapua brass is thicker than a variety of other manufacturers.

Tozguy

L H, what do you mean 'eat' the brass? Lee collett neck size dies work for a wide range of neck wall thickness.
    The Lee die will size turned or unturned necks.

I use my Lee collet die on Lapua brass (unturned necks) w/o any problems. Go for it. Just don't adjust the die to the point it leaves marks on the case necks. You only need about .002" sizing to hold a bullet for bench work. Soft seated bullets work fine in my .223 and 308 bench rifles.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

L.H. Clark

O.K. great info. Thank you all. And GACOP, that sounds right to me on the adjustment. I suppose the few posts I read about the Collet die "eating" the lapua brass is from a few guys that don't know how to adjust the dies or something. I was just wanting more info before I bought the die.
    Thanks again.

L.H. Clark