Thread: Have a buddy with an extraction and feeding issue.. help please?

Basic Member

Have a buddy with an extraction and feeding issue.. help please?

Have a friend who is not a gun guy by any stretch, bought a new 110 in 350 legend for his boy for deer season. He's been struggling with feeding and extraction issues. He's 2 hours away so I have nothing hands on except a few video clips he sent me. I had him check his extractor and bolt face in general and all seems good. When he extracts (always for an empty and most of the time for a loaded cartridge) it leaves the brass behind, like it's coming off of the extractor. Then I find out it's not clambering rounds worth a damn (detachable mag). The bolt either rides over or the cartridge is kicked too high or low for the bolt to catch it. This makes me think its all a magazine issue, maybe the rounds below are knocking the spent brass off as well as not allowing a new round to chamber? Only other thing I can think is a chamber issue? (Polishing?)
    First pic outdoors is a spent casing left behind not extracted all the way, the 2nd pic in his house is the cartridge kicking up when he tries to rack one in the chamber (full cartridge). My advice was to try spreading the mag lips in and out to find a sweet spot as I can't be hands on with it. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231129_202319_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	10145
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231129_202351_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	10146

Banned
    You are correct on starting with adjust the magazine. Tell him to get a magazine feed lip adjusting tool. They start at about $15. Don’t use pliers or a screwdriver. Get the correct tool. For the round being let go, try a Kinney or Lumley Bolt Head kit with better extractor/ejector & larger bearing ball.

Magazine Feed Lip Adjusting Tool: https://www.kiprecision.com/shop/ki-...n-mag-lip-tool

https://kinneysshootingsupply.com/ss...r-ejector-kit/

https://lumleyarms.us/savage-cf-extractor-ejector-kit

Basic Member
    I recently installed two Lumly's extraction/ejector kits and have two more on the way. My advice before installation clean the extractor/ejector bores and use the longer of the two ejector springs
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I use a 4 inch adjustable Cresent type wrench that i had in my reel repair box.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Well sure, because you know exactly how to adjust them. I’ve done the same, adjusting the lips with what I had. Even now, I could use pliers or a screwdriver in a pinch, because I adjusted my first magazine like 2 decades ago; and many more since. But I only advise towards people asking the question, to get the actual tool because they don’t have the experience doing it like you or I do.

Basic Member
    I made my own mag adjustment tool. I also made a "fixture" to adjust / bench test a mag before they even touch an action. I made a video where I had 250 Improved ammo/brass feeding/ejecting like clockwork. BTW, its follower spring tension played big part, or where "less was more"!

BTW, the USPS nag delivered my two extraction/ejector kits from Tactical Supply on Saturday. One fixed a 260, the other for a spare in case....."
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I made my own mag adjustment tool. I also made a "fixture" to adjust / bench test a mag before they even touch an action. I made a video where I had 250 Improved ammo/brass feeding/ejecting like clockwork. BTW, its follower spring tension played big part, or where "less was more"!

BTW, the USPS nag delivered my two extraction/ejector kits from Tactical Supply on Saturday. One fixed a 260, the other for a spare in case....."
    LOL! Too funny Bill. I received one of the Lumley Extractor/Ejector kits from Tactical Works, just today. They are really nice kits. I’ve been a big fan of the Kinney’s kits for some time, but these Lumley kits are quite nice. The parts are machined exquisitely.

Basic Member
    For whatever reason the first piece of fired brass I chamber in the 243-260 fail to eject , however, the second stick and those after fly out like they grew wings. Why I haven't figured out yet.

Banned
    For whatever reason the first piece of fired brass I chamber in the 243-260 fail to eject , however, the second stick and those after fly out like they grew wings. Why I haven't figured out yet.
    Is this happening with the new kits installed? Are you using all the parts?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Is this happening with the new kits installed? Are you using all the parts?
    "This morning ripped them apart, re-cleaned the ejector and extractor bores, springs et all squeaky clean a second time with pipe cleaners and Gun Scrubber, applied a "very" light coat of Break-Free CLP on everything and slap'm back together. Grabbed five sticks of each fired / resized brass....spit all ten out without a hang up.

Banned
    "This morning ripped them apart, re-cleaned the ejector and extractor bores, springs et all squeaky clean a second time with pipe cleaners and Gun Scrubber, applied a "very" light coat of Break-Free CLP on everything and slap'm back together. Grabbed five sticks of each fired / resized brass....spit all ten out without a hang up.
    Interesting. Hey Bill, I just went to install the Lumley kit today and ran into a couple questionable bits with it. Wonder if yours was the same. I made a thread with lots of pics.